Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
What if you're in different countries and one of you has to go to work or sleep?
That's a good point, I wouldn't be fair to lose because of your time zone differences. How about a "remind them to play" button that you could click once every 24 hours? And if someone thinks I'm being impatient all they have to do is resign and put me on their ignore list.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
The solution to the "my opponent is taking to long" is to play against someone you know, or to pay the $.99 for the full version and get 5+ games going at once. Also it seems to me that in the evenings you're more likely to find people that want to play continuously.

But the "take your time" aspect is very nice if you want to have a casual matchup with a friend over the course of a day or so and not have to worry about playing as soon as they are done.

Edit to add, since Game Center doesn't support any sort of direct messaging, it would be nice if the game at least had a way to send a few pre-defined messages like "good game", "nice move", "stepping away for a bit", "sleeping", etc.

IdiddidI

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
This is a very engaging game, elegantly executed. It's interesting how strategies reveal themselves over time... messaging and rematch would be really nice features.

Blah64

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
WA
Article mentions nothing about single player options or content. Not all of us are plugged into the Matrix 24/7/365.25

I'm also frustrated not being able to play this game, but a single player version (with, presumably, various levels of opponents) takes a LOT of effort to build out the AI.

So I HAVE to have a Game Center account?
Pass.

No doubt. This sucks.

Loren, if you're reading here, please allow those of us who can't or aren't interested in creating a Game Center account to play your game. I understand that as a first release it probably makes sense to take the quickest path to market, but given that you're getting a lot of attention (and hopefully downloads), it would be great if you could expand the playing field.

1) bluetooth is great for 2-player games
2) if you're on the same LAN, 2-player via std TCP/IP.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
This is a very engaging game, elegantly executed. It's interesting how strategies reveal themselves over time... messaging and rematch would be really nice features.

Messaging for a rematch is there. I had one player kept asking for a rematch five or six times before he/she beat me a few times. I think you go to the recents and pick the last player and message them requesting for a match.

It will be good to have that option right there in the page where the final results are displayed but that is just a nicety.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I like this game but every round always comes down to both players avoiding the last three or four letters because those letters can't form a word on their own but as soon as you use one of them, you know the other player is going to get the last word and win. It's annoying.

In that case, the strategy is to capture enough letters to your side that you can afford to play one of the few remaining. I think it's a really good game, although in-game chat would be nice. Also, if game center goes down, this game goes with it. Otherwise a nice game.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Wow, I think I just managed to chat with a random Letterpress player.

Opponent spells "ENCEPHALOGRAMS"
I respond with "CHEATER"
Opponent: "CHEATING"

Cool coincidence to have the necessary letters, and I want to believe the other person got my message loud and clear and continued to play along.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I can't find it in the app... is it part of Game Center? Do I need to "friend" my opponent in order to request a rematch?

It is part of the game. New game -> Invite Friends -> Recents -> The last player you played will be at the top, select that -> Next-> type in a message -> Send

Done.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I've been playing this since it came out. Completely addictive, and lots of fun. But it's kind of like tic-tac-toe--it's really easy not to lose. Just make sure you don't give your opponent the last letter(s).
I do wish there was an immediate 'rematch' option.

Troy Clarke

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
That's a good point, I wouldn't be fair to lose because of your time zone differences. How about a "remind them to play" button that you could click once every 24 hours? And if someone thinks I'm being impatient all they have to do is resign and put me on their ignore list.

I agree, it annoys me when I have to wait for someone. I imagine they are in a different timezone or they could be busy at that point in time. I love it when you are playing continuously and you get into the flow of it.

But I have about 20+ games going at once, so there's always someone to play.

I'd also like to have a chat function, so I can trash talk when I win. I usually resort to SMS or twitter after winning :)

----------

Yea, letterpress is good fun, nice minimal design....

I've been playing this little word game http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/whamble/id552797547?mt=8 - it's very simple, but the online play/competition side is cool

I agree, the design is awesome. he's just nailed it in terms of simplicity. I really like the layout, the colors, even the little click sounds the tiles makes.

----------

I've also been working on a Letterpress companion app called LP Cheat. It helps you work out what words you can make with the remaining letters. It also filters the dictionary based on letters you select.

So we're launching the Letterpress Cheat Challenge. Its to pitt our skills, strategies and our LP Cheat app against the best Letterpress players. If you are interested check it out:

http://nativetongue.com/lpcheat/letterpress-cheat-challenge/

We've also written a strategy guide if you want to talk about the finer points of Letterpress :)

http://nativetongue.com/letterpress-game-strategy-guide/

wordlinger

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
In that case, the strategy is to capture enough letters to your side that you can afford to play one of the few remaining.

Exactly. It's just at that point (when there's that small group of unclaimed letters left that both sides are avoiding) that it becomes very strategic and intense. You have to try to build up your "safe" tiles until you can play some (but not all) of the remaining letters in such a way that the best word that can be formed from the letters that remain after your play *won't* give your opponent enough points to win, but *will* (on your next turn, supposing that your opponent doesn't concede by playing the word and losing) give *you* enough points to win.

The only problem I have is that so many people just quit when they get behind. It would be nice if there were ongoing statistics, part of the purpose of which could be to discourage quitting (e.g. by awarding a score of "0" that brought down the player's average or rating, supposing the player cared about that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.