Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spokk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone get a change to try Windows 8 on bootcamp (not through paralells or vmware) on the new Mac Minis?

I want to use the mini as a HTPC and i find Windows 8 pretty much perfect with the new UI (also I need to run it as web server and sql server etc and a lot of other Windows specific stuff)

I know there are no officially supported drivers but i run Win7 on a Mac mini from 2008 without any bootcamp drivers at all and it just works..

So anyone tried it? Every driver beeing loaded correctly?

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I put Windoze (sorry... :D) 8 onto my mid-2011 mini last night and it worked fine. All the Bootcamp drivers installed correctly (using 4.0) and Windows 8 subsequently installed a separate Intel graphics program.

Only drawback was that I installed it onto the 5400RPM drive so it's a bit slow compared to the SSDy snappiness of Mountain Lion.

spokk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Sounds good but before i try i would really like to know how w8 works on the new models. Anyone tried?

spokk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Surely someone must have tried now?

Really want to run W8 as primary OS on this but I dare not get it Before anyone can confirm that it works well..

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
There are still some Bootcamp driver issues with Windows 8 at this point (this is for all Macs not just the 2012 Mac mini). They related to the trackpad and iSight camera. I'm sure Apple will update them at some point but remember that they don't care much about Windows, Bootcamp or getting things updated quickly. It's generally taken Apple a while to update Bootcamp and Windows 8 was just released so you may be waiting a little while before you see anything updated.

opium

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Yesterday set windows 8 on my Mac mini 2012. Installed from the recovery disc. Installed on top of the win 7 by updatings. Establish normal. The only thing so far failed to make update to windows Media Server. Today continue experimenting. Sorry my english. )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.