Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Hey guys,

I've done some research and tests recording Guild Wars 2 gameplay on the OS X.
I've tried:
  1. Camtasia
  2. Screenflow
  3. Quicktime

Do you know any other solutions? Other Software? Better optimisation to be done somewhere?

These listed here produce videos with bad FPS, I guess they are too heavy.
to use with a game.

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
Have you tried iShowU HD? For me it works really well for both games and general screencasting. It's $30 (USD) if you want to remove the trial restriction. Also, I'm not sure if Mountain Lion's supported (if that's what you're using), but it says Lion is.

Hope that helps! :)

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
I haven't tried ScreenFlow, mainly because of its price for the full version. Before iShowU HD, I did use Snapz Pro which seemed pretty lightweight and did the job, but was limited to 30 fps.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I did some tests with Screenflow, Camtasia and iShowU Pro. Will let you know when it is ready!

So far, I can tell that Camtasia is coming last :S

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Adobe Flash Media encoder + CamTwist.
It's a bit more hassle to set up, but it can also be used to stream to justin.tv/twitc.tv

Both are free

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Try Screeny. It's 15$ in the App Store and works magic, however, ishow u HD is also good(using a rMBP)

Would like to see a demo of this. Doubt Ishow u hd is faster than screenflow or camtasia but the price talks.

Adobe Flash Media encoder + CamTwist.
It's a bit more hassle to set up, but it can also be used to stream to justin.tv/twitc.tv

Both are free

That's a streaming service. Camtwist is for video chating not recording your screen itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.