Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Location - Singapore
Provider - M1

Here its in my office, poor signal location !

IMAGE_12EF4F1A-EAF2-4BA6-98EF-51D51F5EBC7A.jpg

Here are some better signal ones ...

IMAGE_8A3ACBCB-2705-412B-87BB-3D15134E1110.jpg

IMAGE_2CDD6AB4-3BED-4B82-AA32-9436723DDE33.jpg

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Can anyone tell me who has the best coverage in Chicago? Downtown (Meadow Lake area or the Prarie shore area to be specific) Only interested knowing about Verizon or AT&T...not interested in Sprint or T-Mobile info. Thanks

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
ATT LTE NEW Orleans, LA
I've got unlimited plan, which means throttled after 5 days, i was throttled about 5 days into owning my iphone 5 lmao. How can i get an unlimited Verizon plan still, either through a loophole or from a existing customer, any place for switching, i'd switch unlimited ATT with someone with unlimited VZW if they wanted to be able to use upgrades or whatever the case may be, any suggestions?

ipjTvl.png

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Speaking of speediest, not sure how many people are aware, have had occasion to become aware, or just have heard of it, i discovered it on accident with my 4s, kinda freaked me out, but im sure its a common know thing. Im referring to when you have the image of the "speedometer" graphic deal on your phone if you tap and drag it down you will be greeting with a series of internet humor type pics, cats, or y u no faces like this one if you keep doing it over and over
iSfOVl.png

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011

Ive definately been impressed with the ATT LTE speeds in most areas ive seen user accounts from, including in New Orleans, the only thing i will say ive noticed, and this is a completely unscientific test, just an observation, but holding my iphone 5 next to a verizon i phone 5, both with towers in the open mall parking area, I would notice the ATT would often peak higher than Verizon DL speed, but after getting mid 50's as opposed to verizons 35, but after 5 minutes of running tests, My ATT LTE iphone 5 speed tests would drop down considerably, at one point down to about 6mbps down and a few up, HSPA+ speeds really, whereas the VZW stayed incredibly consistent and wasnt all over the place with highs and lows, it literally just kept getting 35mbps down every damn time i ran the test, no peaks or valleys, & obviously theres a case to be made that that is far more desirable than sometimes being 2x as fast and sometimes being half the speed. Im also thinking there is some modem firmware updating needing to be done, for a few reasons, the LTE speeds of the verizon iphone were much slower than that of the Galaxy Necus in the same store, which literally doubled the performance of the LTE speeds on the verizon iphone 5, but also for my LTE on ATT, I've noticed its very often "quickest right out the gate" it will slow down to very slow HSPA+, but if i turned data off or toggled LTE/airplane mode and ran a speediest, it would instantly be back to getting the fastest possible speed. Not sure if its just degredation of the quality of the LTE link over time or as devices connecting to the tower more recently take priority above devices which have had an active ink for a long time and are more likely to be idle, im not sure, just a couple theories based on my experiences , try this and chime in with your experience if you find simlar things happening, best way to test is just doa a speedest when u first power on, and either again much an hour later or even better if u have unlimited data or enough to experiment just run a bunch of tests back to back and see if results deteriorate when compared to a speedtest done immediately upon connecting to the network. Thats all, sorry for the long post.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Can anyone tell me who has the best coverage in Chicago? Downtown (Meadow Lake area or the Prarie shore area to be specific) Only interested knowing about Verizon or AT&T...not interested in Sprint or T-Mobile info. Thanks

I would say verizon. Especially if you work in the loop.

Sisyphos

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Dusseldorf, Germany
T-Mobile
During test phone was on LTE

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 57

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Speaking of speediest, not sure how many people are aware, have had occasion to become aware, or just have heard of it, i discovered it on accident with my 4s, kinda freaked me out, but im sure its a common know thing. Im referring to when you have the image of the "speedometer" graphic deal on your phone if you tap and drag it down you will be greeting with a series of internet humor type pics, cats, or y u no faces like this one if you keep doing it over and over

haha didnt know.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Ive definately been impressed with the ATT LTE speeds in most areas ive seen user accounts from, including in New Orleans, the only thing i will say ive noticed, and this is a completely unscientific test, just an observation, but holding my iphone 5 next to a verizon i phone 5, both with towers in the open mall parking area, I would notice the ATT would often peak higher than Verizon DL speed, but after getting mid 50's as opposed to verizons 35, but after 5 minutes of running tests, My ATT LTE iphone 5 speed tests would drop down considerably, at one point down to about 6mbps down and a few up, HSPA+ speeds really, whereas the VZW stayed incredibly consistent and wasnt all over the place with highs and lows, it literally just kept getting 35mbps down every damn time i ran the test, no peaks or valleys, & obviously theres a case to be made that that is far more desirable than sometimes being 2x as fast and sometimes being half the speed. Im also thinking there is some modem firmware updating needing to be done, for a few reasons, the LTE speeds of the verizon iphone were much slower than that of the Galaxy Necus in the same store, which literally doubled the performance of the LTE speeds on the verizon iphone 5, but also for my LTE on ATT, I've noticed its very often "quickest right out the gate" it will slow down to very slow HSPA+, but if i turned data off or toggled LTE/airplane mode and ran a speediest, it would instantly be back to getting the fastest possible speed. Not sure if its just degredation of the quality of the LTE link over time or as devices connecting to the tower more recently take priority above devices which have had an active ink for a long time and are more likely to be idle, im not sure, just a couple theories based on my experiences , try this and chime in with your experience if you find simlar things happening, best way to test is just doa a speedest when u first power on, and either again much an hour later or even better if u have unlimited data or enough to experiment just run a bunch of tests back to back and see if results deteriorate when compared to a speedtest done immediately upon connecting to the network. Thats all, sorry for the long post.

I usually run a few back to back...and use both the FCC app and the speedtest app. When I'm in an area with a strong signal, I get consistent results with both. The main difference being the latency, speedtest always seems to have a faster ping. I have only seen 50+ one time, but usually in the 40's. An ATT rep showed me a screen grab of 50+ on his Atrix HD as well.

ATT just rolled out LTE in my area, not sure if the new tower has anything to do with it. Now don't get me wrong, depending on where I am, I do see as low as high-teens and I get scores in the 20's and 30's. But that's location based and, like I said, I don't see a degradation when running multiple tests in the same area.

And one huge factor would be users accessing the same tower...and that's a variable that you never know the answer to.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
New York

Speeds been very good in most places. Not All.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 54

DaMarkSta

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I thought that was pretty good but after seeing the rest seems kinda slow haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 62

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
I live in Hartford ct my speeds are 12.19 Mbps 156ms are these good I thought that was good but after seeing all the others are getting I feel like mine is ****

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.