Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shulingling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Why Apple discontinued iPad 3 while iPad 2 is still Available.
I think its unfair for ipad 3 owners. -_-

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

What difference does it make to 3 owners? The 3 owners have an iPad. The 4 is now out and will be the flagship iPad and the 2 (and mini) is for sale as a more budget option.

How does the 3 no longer being for sale effect the current iPad 3 owners?

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal

It's marketing, think about it. The biggest thing on both iPad 3 and iPad 4 is Retina Display. If they were to discontinue iPad 2 and drop the price of iPad 3 to $399, then most people would buy that over the new iPad 4 bc it has the retina display, while the upgrades are minimal in the eyes of an average consumer, as long as there is Retina.

It is a smart decision by them really. With the iPad 2, it is cheaper and economical, while at the same time for a bit more money, you jump into another level of Tablet with the iPad 4.

Think about it... it'll sink in.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

Because the iPad 4 is coming out and it's practically the 3 with just a better processor for gaming. They couldn't sell both the 3 and 4 concurrently, they'd be competing themselves. Also, cost justification would be hard since the 3 should "move down" in the pricing structure as the 4 comes out. However, the amount it takes to build one is still the same. Therefore, they had to stop the iPad 3 and start making iPad 4 which in the end makes them a lot more money. Especially since people will be frothing at the mouth for a new iDevice, no matter what it is.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The iPad 2 is an iPad with no Retina.

The iPad 3 was an iPad with Retina but had problems because its components were too weak

And the iPad 4 is an iPad with Retina that has upgraded components so the Device is now balanced.

That is why apple Discontinued iPad 3

Because they have a Retina Display iPad that works better then the 3 now.

So they have a Cheap option iPad and a better quality more Expensive option aswell.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
If the iPad Mini takes off, I suspect that its just a matter of time before they discontinue the iPad 2 leaving only the Mini and the Retina iPad as options. That leaves them covered on the high and low end.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Simple. You can't have The iPad and The iPad on sale at same time. That's confusing for consumers, two 2012 new iPads. IPad 2 is sufficiently different and cheaper than it differentiates itself enough. I'm assuming this may be the last year we will see of the iPad 2 and the next revision will be just iPad (gen 5) and iPad mini (gen 2)...

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR

The iPad 3 was an iPad with Retina but had problems because its components were too weak

And the iPad 4 is an iPad with Retina that has upgraded components so the Device is now balanced.

So they have a Cheap option iPad and a better quality more Expensive option aswell.

That's wierd... My ipad 3 doesn't have any problems at all. And it runs very smooth and fast...

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The 3 was always fine for me...It isn't like it was sluggishly slow.

What basis do you have to say this ? Please dont push your theory down our throat ! Rubbish is that !

That's wierd... My ipad 3 doesn't have any problems at all. And it runs very smooth and fast...

Its not a theory its a Fact that the iPad 3 has worse graphics for games because of the Retina Display.

See some of the graphics were toned down on the 3 because it had a retina display. The retina display took more graphic and processing power then the 3 had.

So some games on the 2 have better graphics then the 3 because the processor and graphics were bogged down on the 3 because of Retina.

The tablet would run smooth sure, but only because they lowered down what graphics would display on the 3 for games. If they had not done that then you would notice the FPS drops.

But this problem is solved with the 4.

Because they have doubled the processing and graphic power from the three to the four.

So the iPad wont have the graphic limitations that it had when it switched from the 2 to the 3 - IE: from non retina to retina.

Nobody expects you to notice.

Because the graphics were toned down so that you wouldn't. And for the most part it was only a problem with gaming, Because when your gaming your using the device to the fullest.

Last edited:

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
Its not a theory its a Fact that the iPad 3 has worse graphics for games because of the Retina Display.

Again one more person giving his own Einstein Scientist like theory !!

Please read correctly what I have responded to, he was talking about iPad-4's Retina Display being better then the iPad-3. Sure Performance must be better in iPad-4 then iPad-3 because of the A6x Chipset. But what has Retina Display gotta do with it and also nor the Battery has been changed between the two.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Because the iPad 4 is coming out and it's practically the 3 with just a better processor for gaming. They couldn't sell both the 3 and 4 concurrently, they'd be competing themselves. Also, cost justification would be hard since the 3 should "move down" in the pricing structure as the 4 comes out. However, the amount it takes to build one is still the same. Therefore, they had to stop the iPad 3 and start making iPad 4 which in the end makes them a lot more money. Especially since people will be frothing at the mouth for a new iDevice, no matter what it is.

Expanding. It most likely cost Apple more to build the 3 than the 4.

You get fewer 45nm A5X chips per wafer than 32nm A6X chips, thus you lose on volume pricing.

Same for the LTE chipset, new one is a smaller 28nm part, old one was larger.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Sorry but it looks like Apple has moved on when it comes to the iPad 3. This does not hurt the performance of your device and you need to just keep on using it and be happy. The iPad 3 is a GREAT device and will be for many years to come!:apple:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

See some of the graphics were toned down on the 3 because it had a retina display. The retina display took more graphic and processing power then the 3 had.

So some games on the 2 have better graphics then the 3 because the processor and graphics were bogged down on the 3 because of Retina.

The tablet would run smooth sure, but only because they lowered down what graphics would display on the 3 for games. If they had not done that then you would notice the FPS drops.

But this problem is solved with the 4.

Because they have doubled the processing and graphic power from the three to the four.

So the iPad wont have the graphic limitations that it had when it switched from the 2 to the 3 - IE: from non retina to retina.

Nobody expects you to notice.

Because the graphics were toned down so that you wouldn't. And for the most part it was only a problem with gaming, Because when your gaming your using the device to the fullest.

What basis do you have to say this? Are you a developer or what?

The A5X in the iPad 3 had over 9times better graphics than that in the 2. Do you have any proof graphics were turned down in games?

Do you have proof of FPS on the 2 verses the 3 when running the same game with the same settings?

lexar

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
The real reason we saw a new iPad is that because Apple got in a mess in the UK and Australia for their LTE chip not working on the LTE frequencies in those countries.

They got in trouble for advertising LTE in those countries when the iPad would not even catch LTE there. SO, to reach all the international markets they HAD to update the iPad with the new LTE chip.
Then why not (while you're changing production to integrate the new chip) give the rest a bump while you have the A6X already developed as well and this way align the product with the new chip and the new lightning connector.

It will probably even reduce production costs and chip costs.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

This, the iPad 3 actually ran slower then the iPad 2 because the iPad 3 was struggling son hard to maintain the retina resolution

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
This, the iPad 3 actually ran slower then the iPad 2 because the iPad 3 was struggling son hard to maintain the retina resolution

I thought it was just me. My iPad 3 did seem slower to open Cut the Rope, and the same thing when exiting levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.