Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dixi1801

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
South Yorkshire, England.
I'm eager to see how the hd4000 performs on games like StarCraft 2, League of Legends and Counter Strike Source/TF2!

Post your experiences, good or bad, and your spec here please!

I'm waiting for some money going into my account, which should be very shortly! Then off to get my Mini the same day!

Thanks guys :) hope you're all enjoying the new Mini!

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Very interested in this too! Too bad my Mini is said to ship on october 31st..

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Not tried out anything demanding, but on a HD4000/2.3GHz quad i7/10GB RAM/1TB HDD I was getting 40FPS on Minecraft at 1920x1200.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Not tried out anything demanding, but on a HD4000/2.3GHz quad i7/10GB RAM/1TB HDD I was getting 40FPS on Minecraft at 1920x1200.

Without a graphic mod? Not too impressive, although you can regulate the fps quite good with the visibility setting.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
will a base mini run skyrim or la noire at any decent speed? not worried about the graphics settings

Trtrmitya

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Will built in graphics in Mini 2012 be enough for HD video playback?
Considering to buy as media center.

Thanks!

Zorba

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Belgium
My late 2010 MBA runs CS:GO, of course not on the highest settings but I guess it will be no problem for the 2012 Mac Mini.

@Trtrmitya my MBA also runs HD video without any problem, I think you are really underestimating the power of the current Mac Mini ...

Last edited:

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
My late 2010 MBA runs CS:GO, of course not on the highest settings but I guess it will be no problem for the 2021 Mac Mini.
I would hope for it not to have a problem. After all, it would have been released 11 years after your MBA :p

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Will built in graphics in Mini 2012 be enough for HD video playback?
Considering to buy as media center.

Thanks!

Are you serious?? Even three year old Minis have no problem playing back HD video ...

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Before they had external Graphics card.
2012 model lacks one.

And that automatically means it's bad? Don't get this logic. While it may be a tiny little bit slower than the 6630M used in the 2011 Mac Mini, it's much faster than any previous Mini, even on par with the dedicated (not external ...) video card in the 2009 MacBook Pros ...

Dixi1801

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
South Yorkshire, England.
And that automatically means it's bad? Don't get this logic. While it may be a tiny little bit slower than the 6630M used in the 2011 Mac Mini, it's much faster than any previous Mini, even on par with the dedicated (not external ...) video card in the 2009 MacBook Pros ...

The benchmarks I have seen seem decent enough for the 4000 don't you think?

And the fact you get more vram than before must be a good thing!

Very, very excited to see what the mini can do! If it runs the games I play... I may very well replace the tower with a second monitor!

julianhfaulkner

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I played a couple games last night. I have the quad i7 2.3, with 4gbs of RAM at the moment (waiting on that crucial order). All my test were pretty slapstick, and I only measured perceived performance.

Torchlight- No problems, all settings at max on 1080p resolution. Ran like a champ, but it isn't a very demanding game.

Portal- Pushed it up to max, everything seemed fine. Will do some more test with it when I get home from work today. I'm not sure If I had AA on or not.

The Witcher- 1080p, medium/low settings. Kinda choppy in some of the cut scenes. Actual game world was mostly 30+ fps, but I had never played it before and didn't get far. Worth noting that this game is just a Windows game wrapped in wine, so that may have hit the performance.

Minecraft- 1080p, Fancy graphics, medium draw distance. Ran great, not noticeable drops other than while world rendering and loading into memory.

As usual, most games get a pretty significant boost running in Windows, and if you are a bootcamp user, you can probably expect a 5-10 fps boost.

That said, native OS X gaming on the HD4000 isn't the hell-scape you would assume by reading this forum. Casual gaming is more than doable, and should not be written off completely. The types of games I play, most notably things from humble indie bundles, run very well. Furthermore, less demanding 3d games should run reasonably at lower settings. If you're into emulators, the quad i7 2.3 will crunch numbers like no other, giving a very accurate replication of old consoles. It would be fun to see if this machine could run a ps2 emulator in bootcamp, as CPU is usually the primary indication for emulator performance. I'm curious to try more games, and I have a couple on download right now. :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Before they had external Graphics card.
2012 model lacks one.

Video playback is primarily CPU driven and has little to do with the graphics card.

It also isn't THAT taxing on the system just for playback, I watch HD video on my 3 1/2 year old aluminum 13" MacBook.

Fifemacuser

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Would be great to hear from anyone playing something like skyrim on the dual core, as that's what I am thinking of getting. I know it's not a gaming machine, but would be good to know how it does

Cheers to those who have given some detail already

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Put me down as another curious Mac user. I was willing to buy the mini right after the media event, but when I heard about the gpu, I figured I'd wait to see how it does with games. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do like to play few games like portal 2, bioshock 2, and the like. I've just been playing bioshock 2 on my late 2011 MBP 15" with 12GB hooked up to my 1080p tv, and it runs perfectly with everything on high, but it is an older game. I would like to use the mini so I don't need to go through the trouble of hooking up the laptop to the tv, and with a new bioshock game just around the corner, I'd like to know how it will handle it. Probably not well, but I could be surprised...

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Just wanted to chime my two bits in on the video rendering comment that was said to be done by the CPU. Wrong on this front.

The design of the Intel chipset with an integrated gpu and/or the discreet; all have a portion of the chipset to accelerate any on screen video playback. These chip sets all incorporate hardware based decompression of video. (AVI, mpg, DIXV, mp4 etc)

The weight of an onboard vs a discreet for usage is usually going to be driven predominantly by games or software that needs to leverage gpu acceleration.

Now the flip side. I had the old late 09 macmini with the dedicated nvideo gpu. Using 1920x1280 was slow running at this resolution for anything like web browsing large spreadsheet work and other graphic intensive applications. I currently have the mid 2011 i5 macmini with the integrated intel gpu. Stunning difference in performance for screen based rendering.

just my two bits

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011

Slower? that ain't good. The Fans really kick in on the old model when doing anything graphics intensive. Why does Apple have to jerk us around on just about every product release these days?

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
No. I don't game on mac desktops.

Well, sadly, there isn't a lot of gaming to do in osx. There are some really good games, but most games are on windows first, and if we are lucky, the come to osx. That's why I keep a windows 7 bootcamp partition on my macs. Although, I only want to use it when there is no other option, and that usually means games. It's a hassle to use, and the Games for Windows Live thing is such a piece of junk, it lost my saved games twice on two different games. Anyway, lets hope there are more game releases for osx in the future!

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Well, sadly, there isn't a lot of gaming to do in osx. There are some really good games, but most games are on windows first, and if we are lucky, the come to osx. That's why I keep a windows 7 bootcamp partition on my macs. Although, I only want to use it when there is no other option, and that usually means games. It's a hassle to use, and the Games for Windows Live thing is such a piece of junk, it lost my saved games twice on two different games. Anyway, lets hope there are more game releases for osx in the future!

and even when there is a mac version the system requirements are always steeper.

my mac gaming is football manager and civ...anything else is in bootcamp but id rather bootcamp from a mac than have just a pc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.