Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I personally don't consider Beats an option because they are so expensive. However, an intern left a pair of Beats at one of my job's clients and I was able to obtain a pair for free (I know, I'm lucky). So far they've worked great for several months I believe, so I can't complain about anything except the price. They're definitely better than any other headphones I've tried, but probably three times as expensive at least.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
lol all you guys are delusional, don't like it don't buy it, and most DJs n guys that are into music don't have beats, but of course some do.

its more like jewelry and for looks than for professional use, but of course it can be used professionally.

i like how they look, they look dope and they give out such a clean sound

i got the beats pros, i used to have studios, but the pros have so much bass in em, its crazy.

and the people that have broken them, I've seen people break them, its because your careless, and if you have the solos yea their fragile, but you pay over 150 for them, so you should be responsible.

i don't go to they gym with them, and I've seen douches break theirs at the gym, what idiots, you know how flimsy the solos are and yet they still wear it when working out. -_-

all in all they look dope, and i hardly see them going out of business.

lol it makes you look like a sheep? ANYTHING popular at the moment can make you look like a sheep. *cough* *cough* Mac and iPhones *cough* *cough*

lol like i said most guys i know that are into music professionally don't have beats, but yea some do.

anyways i got my studios for free, sold them for 350 (to basically an uncle so he offered to pay more and refused to pay me less)

so spent 50 more dollars for my beat pros, so i basically only payed 50 dollars for my beats, so I feel no guilt :D

mjn298

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Palisades, Washington, DC
I've never used them but I assume they sound pleasing for their intended music but anyone doing production would be better off w/ some flat monitoring headphones or (even better but not always feasible) monitor speakers.

But yeah they do appear wildly overpriced compared to some of the AKGs, ATs and Senns you can get in that price range (and much lower).

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
The beats are not clean sounding at all. I can show you their CSD waterfall plots and harmonic distortion graphs to say otherwise.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Bowers and wilkins p5 or p3 ( b&w p5-p3) are the best. P5 are better but p3 more fashionable, smaller, and enough unless you produce music I guess :) both are also cheaper

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
lol this thread is equivalent to " Why Not To Buy Apple Computers"

yea of course you can get a computer half the price with the same specs (minus retina display)

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Not really, it's more like 'Why not to waste your money on headphones with brilliant marketing and terrible sound'.

lol terrible sound? the sound is great and i love the strong bass, it doens't bump too hard for it to sound nasty, and it isn't too weak.

its perfect for hiphop, but of course u can get headphones not even quarter of the price and have close to same quality.

but to say it has terrible sound is just flat out hating, its not as clear as bose and that other brand (the one that musical professionals use a lot)

but its pretty damn good, and its for bumpin rap. obviously its not going to have that same crisp clear sound has bose.

you buy it for the looks and sound.

its modern jewelery, like a smartphone.

KoG506

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
I suggest conducting a blind test. The subject listens to music with different headphones but they are NOT allow to see the headphones.:p

Beats vs Sennheiser HD598

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Me; "Beats by Dr are an inferior product to headphones half their price on the market in terms of around quality."
Person B; "You're just jealous that you can't afford them"
Me; "I own a pair of £400 custom IEMs, £230 full sized headphones, a £180 set of on-ears and three more pairs hovering around the £100 price point, and that's before amps and DACs"
Person B; "Nerd, you're just mad that you wasted that money when you could have bought Beats"

After having that same conversation at least three times with different people (my friend enjoys trolling me by telling people who have Beats that I hate them), I've since given up trying to reason with people who own them.

pe93co

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Never liked Beats By Dre, its all a hype and exactly, a neckwarmer..
Got a Tour for birthday this July and my earbuds went missing so I used it.
Knowing from various sources that they break so easily, I was extremely gentle with my use. Yet, it broke within a month of careful use.
The control talk just completely died and the mic only works half of the time.
And yesterday the right bud wont even have any sounds unless i increase the volume to which my eardrums can go bleeding..
So I called them and had it sent in for exchange today.
gonna sell it on ebay after I get my replacement, some stupid teenager will sure be happier with it than I would.

On the other hand, got the new Apple earpods today from Bestbuy.
For $30, the quality is truly amazing.
And honestly, the bass sounds much better than the stupid Tour had to offer.
I'm absolutely in love with them. Anybody else bought the Earpods yet??

MoJo59er

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
I use the Bose Ae2 headphones, for the reasonable price, and the all around quality, I really like this line of Bose headphones. Now people have given me flak about Bose being over rated, or that Bose puts too much money towards marketing, blab bla bla, etc. etc.. Now people who I know who use beats, get way more flak for owning them than I do. When I first tried the big over ear beats, the first thing that came to mind was how cheap they felt. They felt as if they would break if I dropped them. Now sound quality, it was ok, not terrible, but not even worth close to $400 or whatever they are.

I agree that they are trendy, and are often used more as neck warmers than head phones. I think people who buy beats for them selves are just ignorant, nothing wrong with that, they just don't know the vast variety of other brands they could be using, that are of much better quality. Just because all the sports players, and pop stars wear them, doesn't make them good, they just make you look trendy. Its a choice of style over quality when someone want's beats. If anyone is reading this, and considering buying them, please consider and research other good quality brands. They can look just as cool and sound a whole lot better. :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I don't know if this is still a problem for newer Beats models but the early ones break really easily. Specifically the (cheap/flimsy) plastic headband. Almost every friend I know who has them had them break sooner or later.

I'm not a true "audiophile" but I do hear the difference between lossy MP3 files and lossless ALAC/FLAC files. I also appreciate high-end audio equipment like DACs and headphone amps. In my opinion, Beats are just way overrated, overhyped and underwhelming. The NC doesn't hold a candle compared to Bose QC 15s (which I have). The bass is messy and undefined. The highs are shallow and mids are just muddy. I wouldn't buy Beats for build quality or audio quality or NC. But I do admit Beats look very fashionable and for most young people, it's all about looking cool.

That said, I do own a more "audiophile" grade pair of headphones, the Shure SRH440. Audio reproduction is "flat" but it plays whatever the original producer intended it to be heard. It's pretty easy to adjust the EQ and make the bass more boomy or voices more prominent. Easy enough for the average joe. You don't need to shell out an extra $200+ for a pair of $300 Beats just to get some built-in EQ settings.

----------

... On the other hand, got the new Apple earpods today from Bestbuy.
For $30, the quality is truly amazing.
And honestly, the bass sounds much better than the stupid Tour had to offer.
I'm absolutely in love with them. Anybody else bought the Earpods yet??

EarPods are great. Not "audiophile" great of course, but the price/audio quality ratio is relatively high compared to Beats. I also agree with the stuff you said before that quote. More often than not, people are wearing Beats around their necks and not actually using them to listen to music.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bowers and wilkins p5 or p3 ( b&w p5-p3) are the best. P5 are better but p3 more fashionable, smaller, and enough unless you produce music I guess :) both are also cheaper

Last year, I bought both the Bowers & Wilkins P3 and the Bowers & Wilkins P5; they are easily the best headphones I have ever had; great sound, superb build, very stylish, extremely comfortable, and very, very portable. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Not really, it's more like 'Why not to waste your money on headphones with brilliant marketing and terrible sound'.

Exactly. I completely agree with you.

Find one audiophile site review saying so. ;)

People buy them for the fashion statement and sleb culture.

They do, unfortunately. At present, many of my colleagues (who admit that they know better and accept that Beats are dreadful, a triumph of hype and marketing over substance) have bought Beats for their kids; as one guy put it when telling me of why he had bought his son a present of a pair of Beats headphones, 'it's the first time my son has treated me with any sort of interest for ages; he smiled instead of grunting. He's thrilled because he'll get respect at school wearing these because the kids think they are cool. Yes, I know they're awful, but what can you do?'

Sennheiser HD598

Cost less but sound MUCH MUCH better. They look pretty cool too :eek:

Agreed.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
... They do, unfortunately. At present, many of my colleagues (who admit that they know better and accept that Beats are dreadful, a triumph of hype and marketing over substance) have bought Beats for their kids; as one guy put it when telling me of why he had bought his son a present of a pair of Beats headphones, 'it's the first time my son has treated me with any sort of interest for ages; he smiled instead of grunting. He's thrilled because he'll get respect at school wearing these because the kids think they are cool. Yes, I know they're awful, but what can you do? ...

LOL! Other kids think it's cool so therefore it must be cool right? :cool:

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Audio is just one of those areas where BS spreads easily since its difficult to compare peoples perceptions of sound. Beats is just one example.

I used to own a Logitech Z2300 which I used to own had bass which I initially thought was good, then I bought a proper subwoofer (BK xls200) and it sounded completely different because it distorts much less than the Logitech did - proper bass.

hogger129

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
They are a rip off. $150 will buy you Audio Technica ATH-M50 which is a much better sounding headphone and bassheads will like it. If you're not a basshead, try the Sennheiser HD558.

Dr. Dre Beats and stuff like that seem like more of a fashion accessory than anything. But for the price they sell, I would rather get a watch or some new threads instead of having a pair of headphones hanging around my neck like an idiot.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I use the Bose Ae2 headphones, for the reasonable price, and the all around quality, I really like this line of Bose headphones. Now people have given me flak about Bose being over rated, or that Bose puts too much money towards marketing, blab bla bla, etc. etc.. Now people who I know who use beats, get way more flak for owning them than I do. When I first tried the big over ear beats, the first thing that came to mind was how cheap they felt. They felt as if they would break if I dropped them. Now sound quality, it was ok, not terrible, but not even worth close to $400 or whatever they are.

I agree that they are trendy, and are often used more as neck warmers than head phones. I think people who buy beats for them selves are just ignorant, nothing wrong with that, they just don't know the vast variety of other brands they could be using, that are of much better quality. Just because all the sports players, and pop stars wear them, doesn't make them good, they just make you look trendy. Its a choice of style over quality when someone want's beats. If anyone is reading this, and considering buying them, please consider and research other good quality brands. They can look just as cool and sound a whole lot better. :)

I have tried demos of some Bose headphones at Target and was really impressed. The pure clarity was just awesome. I'm not sure which exact model, but I think it cost about $150 for over-the-ear. I have done the same test with a Beats set. I can't recall being wowed. If I was, certainly not at the price.

Still, I'm sitting here using those old Apple earbuds because I left my ear pods at work. They're not HORRIBLE, but I know better stuff exists. Just wish decent audio didn't cost as much as the latest iPhone on which I will probably store most of the music.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I don't have any over ear headphones. It feels bulky. The last headset that I have bought was the Etymotic HF3 from BB for a bargain.

In terms of accuracy, it is really accurate in reproducing the sound. I am not a basshead, I like my music to be clear. Distortions should be heard where and when it should be heard. I want my bass to be tight and accurate as possible, I really don't like a muddy bass and over-colored music.

I can really make do with an equalizer to balance the sound to my liking.

Beats, I have tried a lot of them, and they fall below my expectations, even a cheap sony can "beat" it.

chrisj979

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
Ahh well I have some time to waste so let me chime in.

Alot of people buy Beats because it's a fad, like Apple, like fur coats, like Nike shoes, like most of what's bought now days. To expect everyone who buys headphones to be an audiophile is ridiculous. If that’s the case I think you should dump Bose and go with B&W or Martin Logan they sound and look so much better. Honestly a lot of people don't care, it's like me telling someone don't buy the $500 TV cause the $1000 is better, they say they are both 42in and they don't care about the other stuff.

Personally to me I think the beats look nice, they look way better than most of those other brands mentioned and yes LOOK is part of the buying decision sometimes more than functionality. Get over it those people aren’t going to change for you. Sony TV vs. Visio, etc.

No Dr. Dre is not a "real" doctor and he is not just a rap artist, first and foremost he is a MUSIC PRODUCER, he has an excellent reputation in doing so and has produced music for more than just rap artist. Due to his success as a music producer Monster saw an opportunity. Then with the help of sports and entertainment figures (not just basketball players) they did more marketing and created a fad. How many stars advertise stuff that’s inferior???? countless…..

Like someone else said this could easily be turned in Why Not To Buy Apple, iPhones sell because they are the trend, you have people saying “oh oh I want an iPhone” then get one and don’t even know how to use it, so why did they want it again?? Oh that’s right it’s the fad….Same for most of the people switching from PC to MAC. That makes me LOL.

As far as price that goes along with Giuseppe, Christian Louboutin, Steve Madden, Michael Kors, etc. You can find better and cheaper shoes and purses, but that's the trend. Uggs does not make the best boots.

Bottom line people shop for what THEY want not what YOU want them to buy. People but what they like, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean I shouldn’t buy it. Thanks for the information, more information always helps but at the end of the day if I walk up to someone with headphones on (of any brand) and ask “what are your headphones rated” 9 times out of 10 they have no idea and not even know where to find that info. Shoot most people still have their iPods/iPhones EQ’d. That setting also makes a difference in sound quality, IF you know how to use it. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.