Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Hi,

So I broke my bank account and ordered a 15-inch MBP Retina. I'm not much of a trackpad kind of person so I'm sticking to my mouse. Any recommendations?

• Price is not a serious issue but obviously the cheaper the better.
  • It would be AWESOME if it didn't take one of my USB ports as the MBP has only two. Is there a mouse that can be paired with the laptop without a receiver?
  • I don't want a small mouse. I use a Logitech Performance MX with my desktop and I'm happy with that but just want something different but equally good. Any competitors? Does the Performance MX come in other colors?
  • Awesome if there's a white or silver color!
  • No Apple magic mouse please!
  • Would love to have back-forward buttons on the left side.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Arline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Hi,

So I broke my bank account and ordered a 15-inch MBP Retina. I'm not much of a trackpad kind of person so I'm sticking to my mouse. Any recommendations?

• Price is not a serious issue but obviously the cheaper the better.
  • It would be AWESOME if it didn't take one of my USB ports as the MBP has only two. Is there a mouse that can be paired with the laptop without a receiver?
  • I don't want a small mouse. I use a Logitech Performance MX with my desktop and I'm happy with that but just want something different but equally good. Any competitors? Does the Performance MX come in other colors?
  • Awesome if there's a white or silver color!
  • No Apple magic mouse please!
  • Would love to have back-forward buttons on the left side.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Any ideas?

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Trackpad is the best solution due to the plentiful gestures available. Next best thing would be an Apple Magic Mouse. Otherwise any Bluetooth mouse is going to work with your MBP.

Arline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Trackpad is the best solution due to the plentiful gestures available. Next best thing would be an Apple Magic Mouse. Otherwise any Bluetooth mouse is going to work with your MBP.

I can't do trackpads. I've tried magic mouse and didn't like it much.

Any good Bluetooth recommendations? It has to be full sized.

Last edited:

romills

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
I can't do trackpads. I've tried magic mouse and didn't like it much.

Any good Bluetooth recommendations? It has to be full sized.

If you must use a mouse.. I have this used this one, but don't use it much anymore (I got used to and prefer the trackpad)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7914LL/A?fnode=56&fs=m.productKind=mouse

It's not a great mouse, but it doesn't take up any ports.. it has sideways clicks on the mouse wheel for forward and back. I have a Logitech G700 on my gaming pc, and you won't confuse these two, but it is more than adequate if you must have a mouse that doesn't use a bluetooth port. It is not a mini mouse, but is is a tad smaller than full size. I have not found any "full size" mouse that support blue tooth, they all require a dongle.

If you take the time to use the Mac's trackpad, you will find there is no better way to use the mac for most things. The only exception where I find an advantage to a mouse, is click and drag operations, and only when I do things repeatedly (photoshop editing, or lots of file operations for instance) but even then, that is only a slight preference. I have not powered up a mouse on my mac in a very long time.. the built in trackpad is the way to go. Keep in mind the gestures, and quality of a mac trackpad is not the same as on a pc trackpad. If I went by my pc experience for a trackpad, I would have never used one on a mac.

I know you have probably been told this before, but there is likely a reason people keep bringing it up.. many of us have had similar experience to you with trackpads. I switched my home pc to a Mac laptop about a year and a half ago, and I'm happy with choice.

Arline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I understand the trackpad argument, but I do use mouse intensive tasks (Photoshoping for example) and I do really need a mouse. I use the trackpad when I'm reading.

For me the Performance MX is really good, it's the right size and has the right feeling but it needs a dongle which leaves me with only one port. If I am to get a mouse with a dongle, I might consider the G700 because of the extra buttons which I clearly can find use of, and well it's not much more expensive than the Performance MX.

Do you think it's worth waiting? Logitech hasn't updated the MX linup in over 3 years and they might have something interesting in the pipeline.

romills

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
I gave up on logitech supporting Mac properly. They put out basic drivers, but it is an afterthought. Windows is there primary market. Perhaps as the market share for apple continues to grow, this will change. They are my preferred mouse maker. Note, that the G700 unfortunately does not have drivers for OSX, so the extra buttons did not work when I plugged it in. I just switched the G700 over to test it out on my mac. The mac does not see the extra keys, and there is no driver on logitech site, and the standard logitech driver does not recognize this mouse on osx. Stick with MX if you want a large logitech mouse on OSX.

If you do alot of photo editing, I bought a wacom tablet years ago, and still use it. I recommend it for that sort of work. I would go with one of the smaller sizes. I have a larger one, 6x11 inches, and it really is overkill, it works, but I would of been just as happy with the smaller to mid size tablet. Well this isn't answer your question, and will likely lead to a bigger hole in your pocketbook. (never mind, the wacom is a bad idea, I didn't mention it :rolleyes:)

Good luck finding a large bluetooth supported mouse, I never found one of when I looked a year ago. The good news is on the retina model, the usb port are located one on each sides, so you don't have to worry about blocking both when you do use it. If you do find a good large mouse that supports bluetooth, drop me a note, I may be interested in it in the future (wife still insists on using a mouse, she is an inkscape fanatic.)

Last edited:

Arline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the heads up about G700. Also, Wacom is not a good idea. :D

I'll continue the hunt and see where it goes, I'll let you know if I ended up choosing anything other than the MX.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The best Logitech Bluetooth mouse you can get is the MX Revolution. There are two version of the MX Revolution. The one sold alone is not Bluetooth. However the MX Revolution that comes in the MX5500 keyboard set is Bluetooth. The other Bluetooth mouse Logitech sells is pretty crappy (V470). I have one and it is a significant downgrade to someone who is used to the MX series mice.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
this is obvious but i'll mention it just in case. not a perfect solution, of course, but how about just buying a usb hub? then you'll turn your two ports into, depending on what you buy, something like 5 ports....

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I understand the trackpad argument, but I do use mouse intensive tasks (Photoshoping for example) and I do really need a mouse. I use the trackpad when I'm reading.

For me the Performance MX is really good, it's the right size and has the right feeling but it needs a dongle which leaves me with only one port. If I am to get a mouse with a dongle, I might consider the G700 because of the extra buttons which I clearly can find use of, and well it's not much more expensive than the Performance MX.

Do you think it's worth waiting? Logitech hasn't updated the MX linup in over 3 years and they might have something interesting in the pipeline.

If you like the Performance MX the MX Revolution Bluetooth edition should be perfect for you. Lots of buttons and no dongle. The catch is that it is not sold by itself but as a bundle with the MX5500 keyboard set.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i am like the op i dont like the macs trackpad it hurts my hand and wrist and i hate gestures but to each there own i have the logitech m510 and love it and it does support osx and i also have the mac ver of the 750 solar keyboard and love it i have them both working on one unifying reciever

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
If not a magic mouse...

I bought a Logitech G700 a few months back when Diablo 3 came out. The G700 is good for programability (there's around a dozen programmable buttons; you'll need Windoze to program the G700) but I ultimately went back to my magic mouse when for anything other than gaming. For me, the magic mouse is the best mouse input I've used– the multitouch is just too good to do without.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.