Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Is this like a replacement plan where lets say I bought a Powerbook and 2 years down the road I've had 10 repairs on it. At that point do they replace it with the latest Powerbook or a refurb of the 2 year old one I already have?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If your kit develops a fault within the warranty period it will be repaired for free under the extended warranty. I would imagine that in some exceptional cases people have had replacement systems, but that's not the general rule of how it works AFAIK.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
applecare is definately a good idea. it's worth noting, however, that it can be purchased up to a year after the purchase date of the computer. so you might want to spend the money you would spend on applecare now on a better computer, and then buy the applecare 11 months after you buy the computer.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I recently had a 2.5 year-old iBook replaced with a brand new model via AppleCare after it had it's fifth problem requiring a mail-in.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
reh said:
I recently had a 2.5 year-old iBook replaced with a brand new model via AppleCare after it had it's fifth problem requiring a mail-in.

:eek:
"Hey.. apple.. my PowerBook just suddenly shrank 2 inches. I could have sworn it was a 17" er! Send me a new one?"

Anywhoo, I'm gonna buy me some apple care on April 15, 2 weeks before my warranty wears out, on my birthday... to get me a job application. (I need a steady income!!)

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
reh said:

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. If something goes terribly wrong would they actually replace instead of continuasly try to repair it.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
The way I see it, you give them a pile of money, and they take it.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
i was able to trade in a faulty ibook for the money back and get my current powerbook for only 500 dollars after the 1000 back from the ibook

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Dell's warranty is better for what you get. With AppleCare, you get nothing if it's your own fault. You only get repairs if the problem is due to a manufacturing defect or something. Of course, that's something they should cover for free, as it's not my fault their product only worked for 17 months (for example).

With Dell, at least they cover accidents if you get the right protection. Reasonable price, too.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
paperinacup said:
Thats exactly what I wanted to know. If something goes terribly wrong would they actually replace instead of continuasly try to repair it.

that's a definite maybe yes and maybe no and it all depends on what the problem is and how they're feeling about things that day.........there's nothing in writing that says you get a replacement after a certain number of attempts at repair.......but some people do get replacements.....and some don't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.