Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
So, from the looks of it, it appears that the iPad Mini has stereo speakers, while the iPad 4 does not. I wonder why they added it to the iPad Mini, but not the iPad 4... I mean, it can easily fit it, and it'd probably make the sound much better. Personally, I think this is going to be great for when I watch movies or videos, or listen to music on my iPad Mini.

Anyone else glad to see this?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Technically the iPad 4, as well as all other iPads, have stereo speakers. They have a left and right channel speaker on the inside, but only one external sound baffle.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's got a mono speaker, and a microphone, just like every iphone since the iphone 4.

It'd be cool for stereo, but thats not what it is.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
So, from the looks of it, it appears that the iPad Mini has stereo speakers, while the iPad 4 does not. I wonder why they added it to the iPad Mini, but not the iPad 4... I mean, it can easily fit it, and it'd probably make the sound much better. Personally, I think this is going to be great for when I watch movies or videos, or listen to music on my iPad Mini.

Anyone else glad to see this?

I don't think it has stereo speakers.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
It's got a mono speaker, and a microphone, just like every iphone since the iphone 4.

It'd be cool for stereo, but thats not what it is.

Don't know what the iPhone has to do with this, but there seems to be two speaker grille cutouts on the back of the iPad Mini. What leads me to believe that these are both speakers, and not a speaker and a microphone, is the fact that the iPad Mini has microphone cutout on the top of the device.

So, let me rephrase my original question: Does the iPad Mini have two speakers instead of one single speaker like the iPad 4?

----------

I don't think it has stereo speakers.

What makes you think it doesn't have stereo speakers?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Don't know what the iPhone has to do with this, but there seems to be two speaker grille cutouts on the back of the iPad Mini. What leads me to believe that these are both speakers, and not a speaker and a microphone, is the fact that the iPad Mini has microphone cutout on the top of the device.

So, let me rephrase my original question: Does the iPad Mini have two speakers instead of one single speaker like the iPad 4?

----------

What makes you think it doesn't have stereo speakers?

Apple only points to one grill on their site as a speaker.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I noticed that as well. I really do wonder what that second grille is for, then, if the iPad Mini does only have one speaker. Any guesses?

It's possible both grills are speakers just for the sake of keeping the website looking clean they only pointed to one. The left one looks like a speaker to me, or it may just be there for the sake of keeping the iPad looking symmetrical and clean instead of having on grill on one side..

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
It's possible both grills are speakers just for the sake of keeping the website looking clean they only pointed to one. The left one looks like a speaker to me, or it may just be there for the sake of keeping the iPad looking symmetrical and clean instead of having on grill on one side..

It most likely is another speaker, but it's definitely not a stretch to think that Apple might've done this to make it look more symmetrical, I mean they do take design very seriously, however this does beg the question: why doesn't the iPad 4 have the same two grilles if Apple did indeed put the second grille there just for the sake of making it symmetrical like they did with the iPad Mini?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I've been wondering about this as well because of the two speaker grills. Even if they aren't stereo speakers, perhaps the sound is better than a regular iPhone or iPad. Guess we will find out.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I'd assume that if the second grill was a speaker, it would have been a bullet point during the keynote. It seems that it would be a big deal.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
OMG some of you are dim. It's not a second speaker it's a mic ffs. Look at your iPhone, see it has 2 "grills" on the bottom. Speaker and mic.

Post #3 already said that and I'd assume most of us know how the iPhone works. What's strange is that this is the first iPad with 2 grills.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
You think you'd get the stereo effect from speakers that close together? You wouldn't. And what about landscape use?

Also, two tiny, tinny speakers would not sound better than one tiny, tinny speaker.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
OMG some of you are dim. It's not a second speaker it's a mic ffs. Look at your iPhone, see it has 2 "grills" on the bottom. Speaker and mic.

If you had read the thread you would've seen that someone already suggested that, and it was proven incorrect by me. Here's my response: Don't know what the iPhone has to do with this, but there seems to be two speaker grille cutouts on the back of the iPad Mini. What leads me to believe that these are both speakers, and not a speaker and a microphone, is the fact that the iPad Mini has microphone cutout on the top of the device.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Stereo speaker jack as shown

Speaker pointer as shown does not say stereo

The diagram does not say stereo for the speaker at the bottom. If it were Stereo, it would have been announced, pointed to and raved about by Apple.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/apple-ipad-mini-is-less-more/

"The specifications may tell a different tale. Both the Nook HD ($199 on barnesandnoble.com) and Kindle Fire HD ($199 on amazon.com) have better resolution displays than the iPad mini: 1440 x 900 pixels and 1280 x 800 pixels respectively. Furthermore, while the Nook HD offers half the storage capacity of the least capacious iPad mini and of the Kindle Fire HD (16 GB), it is expandable via a built-in microSD card slot, while the iPad mini (like all iPads) and the Kindle Fire HD are not. The Kindle Fire HD also features stereo speakers, whereas the iPad mini (like all iPads) has a single speaker."

However, since the Mini has a microphone already as shown in top photo, the second picture shows two sets of holes and that leads us to wonder if its two speakers, just not stereo. However, again why did Apple not show two arrows pointing to both sides, not just one pointer to the right side speaker ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 8.38.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 8.38.43 AM.png
    35 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I assume an iFixIt tear-down will resolve this debate. Though, I'd imagine Apple would be boasting about this feature somewhere on the page if it were the case.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Stereo speaker jack as shown

Speaker pointer as shown does not say stereo

The diagram does not say stereo for the speaker at the bottom. If it were Stereo, it would have been announced, pointed to and raved about by Apple.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/apple-ipad-mini-is-less-more/

"The specifications may tell a different tale. Both the Nook HD ($199 on barnesandnoble.com) and Kindle Fire HD ($199 on amazon.com) have better resolution displays than the iPad mini: 1440 x 900 pixels and 1280 x 800 pixels respectively. Furthermore, while the Nook HD offers half the storage capacity of the least capacious iPad mini and of the Kindle Fire HD (16 GB), it is expandable via a built-in microSD card slot, while the iPad mini (like all iPads) and the Kindle Fire HD are not. The Kindle Fire HD also features stereo speakers, whereas the iPad mini (like all iPads) has a single speaker."

However, since the Mini has a microphone already as shown in top photo, the second picture shows two sets of holes and that leads us to wonder if its two speakers, just not stereo. However, again why did Apple not show two arrows pointing to both sides, not just one pointer to the right side speaker ?

That pretty much sums up the confusion over it having one or two speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.