Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I just picked up a new base-model 11" MacBook Air and I love it. I was going crazy without a Mac since I left my job 2 weeks ago.

I have one minor complaint, and I wanted to see if this was normal or if there was something I could tweak in the settings somewhere that might help.

When the machine wakes from sleep, I immediately see the login screen which requires my password before the system can be used, however there is a good 3-5 seconds before I can actually begin typing.

I know this probably seems nit-picky of me, but I figured if the system can wake that quickly, with an i5 and solid-state disk, I would be able to begin typing more quickly. Is this just normal behavior for Mountain Lion on a base-model MBA?

tl;dr: My MacBook Air has a 3-5 second delay after waking, before I can enter my password to unlock the system. Is that normal?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Mine does the same.

Coming from a 10 years old Windows that wakes up in 10-15 seconds, I have a low-bar expectation! :)

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
It's normal. A power saving feature.

However it is possible to disable it, which I did and now my computer wakes instantly.

Google it. It's a terminal command setting.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What do I google? :eek:
I think I found what AeroUK is referring to. See the answer from Inspire48 on this page:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...or-a-retina-macbook-pro-to-wake-up-from-sleep

The short answer is that running this command will change the hibernate mode your Mac uses, eliminating the delay I am referring to:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Note that I have not tested this and can't confirm that it works, or even that it won't cause issues with your Mac. :)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I think I found what AeroUK is referring to. See the answer from Inspire48 on this page:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...or-a-retina-macbook-pro-to-wake-up-from-sleep

The short answer is that running this command will change the hibernate mode your Mac uses, eliminating the delay I am referring to:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Note that I have not tested this and can't confirm that it works, or even that it won't cause issues with your Mac. :)

That link had some good info. At first the 3 second delay on my 2012 13" MBA was annoying, but I got used to it. And now that I know it's supposed to do that, it makes me feel better.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Guys I changed mine to the '24 hour' setting and it is amazing. My MBP retina now wakes instantly.

Apple should make this a choice on set up. I strongly recommend that you change this to set it to instant wake. Makes things a lot better.

Aaron

----------

Change MacBook Wake Up time with terminal command:

Start Terminal in Application -> Utilities -> Terminal.app or type Terminal in the spotlight Search.

Type sudo pmset –a standbydelay 86400

This is all I did

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
Found this when i first bought my mbpr now everything is how I remember my previous macbook Pro. Will be adding this to my Macbook Air also when I get within the next few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.