Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have been using Navigon gps app. About a month ago I restored my iphone to perform Att unlock and since then the app is not working...everytime it says- there is no gps signal in the area. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but still doen't work.
How can I test whether its the app or the gps chip has problem and how to get working again?
Has anyone experienced similar problems with Navigon app?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
yes, location services is on for navigon.
where else should I check? how do I figure out whether its hardware or software related problem?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Try the regular Map application on the phone and see if it will locate you. That would be the easiest test I can think of.

Yes, the Map app shows the current location, but it requires wifi to locate. I do not have data plan, so the Map app asks to connect to wifi. Does the Map app locates using gps chip or wifi router?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It uses whatever is available. Try it with WiFi off.

It doesn't work with wifi off, is it supposed display location without network? I do not have a data plan and gps was working before. Its only after restoring that its showing no gps signal.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It doesn't work with wifi off, is it supposed display location without network? I do not have a data plan and gps was working before. Its only after restoring that its showing no gps signal.

Yes, GPS works with no data.
Sounds like your iphone has a GPS hardware fault.
What model iphone and do you have any applecare warranty on it still?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, GPS works with no data.
Sounds like your iphone has a GPS hardware fault.
What model iphone and do you have any applecare warranty on it still?

Its 3GS running 5.1.1. I bought it in 2010 so no warranty now. The gps problem started after I restored to perform At&t unlock, before that gps was working fine. I am planning to go to ios 6 to see if that will fix the problem. What else can I check?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Its 3GS running 5.1.1. I bought it in 2010 so no warranty now. The gps problem started after I restored to perform At&t unlock, before that gps was working fine. I am planning to go to ios 6 to see if that will fix the problem. What else can I check?

I doubt the restore had anything to do with it. It was probably on its last leg and that's when it happened.
Try updating to the latest firmware and if its still not working then you know its 100% a hardware issue.
You can get it replaced if you want to pay the $150 out of warranty fee at Apple or find a repair shop that fixes iphones to see if they can get it fixed.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I doubt the restore had anything to do with it. It was probably on its last leg and that's when it happened.
Try updating to the latest firmware and if its still not working then you know its 100% a hardware issue.
You can get it replaced if you want to pay the $150 out of warranty fee at Apple or find a repair shop that fixes iphones to see if they can get it fixed.

Do they replace it with new 3GS or 4, 4s, 5? Since 3GS is now discontinued.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
They only replace it with the same model, color and same GB storage.
They have plenty of 3GS iphones available at apple stores and at their warehouses.

Can one buy replacement 4, 4s, or 5 for a higher price? I bought my 3gs outright at full price, so didn't sign for a data plan and don't really need one right now. I'm willing to pay for a replacement with a newer model.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Can one buy replacement 4, 4s, or 5 for a higher price? I bought my 3gs outright at full price, so didn't sign for a data plan and don't really need one right now. I'm willing to pay for a replacement with a newer model.

No, they dont do that.
If you want to buy another phone you can buy new or used anywhere full price or not.
If you're talking about applecare out of warranty replacement they only replace it with the same model if its broken. You give them yours and they give you another one.
3GS, iphone 4 or 4S the fee is $150. If you break and bring in your iphone 5 for replacement its $230.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
No, they dont do that.
If you want to buy another phone you can buy new or used anywhere full price or not.
If you're talking about applecare out of warranty replacement they only replace it with the same model if its broken. You give them yours and they give you another one.
3GS, iphone 4 or 4S the fee is $150. If you break and bring in your iphone 5 for replacement its $230.

Do you need to signup separately for applecare or it comes with the phone? When I bought 3gs, I don't think I got a separate warranty with it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Do you need to signup separately for applecare or it comes with the phone? When I bought 3gs, I don't think I got a separate warranty with it.

No, all iphones come with one year applecare.
You can buy another year if you want. This is an out of warranty replacement that I was telling you earlier. Even if you are out of the 1 year or 2 years coverage they still swap it for you for the fee above.
Kinda nice cause if you break it or get it wet or whatever you dont have to pay $500-600 full price to buy another one. You just give them your broken one back and pay them like a quarter of the price it costs.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Just to follow up.... I went to the Apple store over the weekend and talked to a genius. First she tested the Map app with wifi on and it showed the location, so the conclusion was the gps works and for it to work it has to be connected to wifi or 3G and since I don't have a data plan so gps doesn't work outside.

I told them that the Navigon gps saves the maps on the phone itself and claims you don't need a data connection and the app was working fine before I did Att unlock and upgrade to iOS6. So she then talked to other geniuses to check if anyone knew about Navigon app and then their reply was there is no separate gps chip in the iphone.

Is it true that there is no gps chip and if so then how was the gps app working before, was it by triangulation using cellphone towers?
Also interestingly, Navigon app description on iTunes no longer mentions that you don't need wifi or data plan for it to work and based on that the genius was telling that it has to be connected.
Is anyone using Navigon app without data plan or atleast can test by switching 3G and wifi off?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Just to follow up.... I went to the Apple store over the weekend and talked to a genius. First she tested the Map app with wifi on and it showed the location, so the conclusion was the gps works and for it to work it has to be connected to wifi or 3G and since I don't have a data plan so gps doesn't work outside.

I told them that the Navigon gps saves the maps on the phone itself and claims you don't need a data connection and the app was working fine before I did Att unlock and upgrade to iOS6. So she then talked to other geniuses to check if anyone knew about Navigon app and then their reply was there is no separate gps chip in the iphone.

Is it true that there is no gps chip and if so then how was the gps app working before, was it by triangulation using cellphone towers?
Also interestingly, Navigon app description on iTunes no longer mentions that you don't need wifi or data plan for it to work and based on that the genius was telling that it has to be connected.
Is anyone using Navigon app without data plan or atleast can test by switching 3G and wifi off?

Sorry dude, they fed you a bunch of bs.
If your GPS chip doesnt work at all then it should get replaced.
GPS does not need 3G, wifi or any data at all.
And navigon like you said stores the maps locally so you dont need any carrier or wifi data at all. And you dont need a seperate gps chip for navigon to work with no data.
When she tested it with wifi on it prob just got your triangulation and not exact location.
I would try a restore first to make sure its not a software issue.
Restore your iphone with itunes and setup as new.
Then test out the gps again.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, I already restored and set up as a new, then back up my contacts, notes and pics, and then reinstalled Navigon app. But still it doesn't work. What I oticed is, when I'm connected to wifi, the gps works and as I start driving it juts stops in the middle. Apple genius told me it could be specific issue with Navigon app and ios6.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
What about when you use the maps app? Does GPS works with that and the dot moves when you're not on wifi?
Try restoring and setup as new.
Dont restore from your backups and just setup as new phone and install navigon by itself to test it out.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
When I open Maps app with wifi off, it says: Cellular Data is Turned Off. Turn on celluler data or use Wi-Fi to access data.

Even the genius told me that you have to connect to data network or wifi for maps app to show the location, its not just the gps. May be you can test on your iphone with data and wifi off to see if Maps work.

I deleted Navigon, did the restore and set up as a new phone and then it gave an option to restore contacts, pics, notes from the backup which I did. And hen reinstalled the Navigon app. Is there any other way to restore? I didn't want to type in all contacts and notes again so restored it from backup after setting it up as a new phone.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The biggest problem here is that you're confusing GPS (Global Positioning System) with Navigation and Maps.

GPS uses satellites (and nothing else) to provide you with accurate location data, including (at a minimum), Latitude and Longitude.

Most people would not find that raw data useful, so a variety of devices and Apps will plot your location (retrieved using GPS) on a map of some sort.

With iOS, the Maps App uses a data connection - Cellular or Wi-Fi, to download the actual map to display your location on.

When you open the Maps App and there is no data connection, it's complaining because it has no way to load the maps for you. It's not complaining because it can't work out where you are.

Navigon does not do this. It stores the maps on your device, so that when there is no data connection, it can still show you your map and determine your location using GPS.

IN ADDITION to using GPS, iOS can work out your location using less precise methods - specifically using the Wi-Fi networks and cellular base stations within range of your device to establish roughly where you are. These are useful for some Apps (such as a Search Engine) because they don't always need to know exactly where you are. They have three primary benefits:

-they are faster
-they use less power
-they work better indoors

These additional methods of determining your location DO require a data connection.

Navigon is presumably set up so that it will only work if it can get a very precise location from iOS. The less accurate methods (like Wi-Fi) are not suitable for turn by turn navigation.

Based on all of this, I would agree with Applejuiced in agreeing that your device probably has a hardware fault (GPS receiver failure).

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I've been to Apple store a few times and everytime they test Maps app with wifi on and since it shows the location they claim its not a hardware problem but Navigon issue. Last time I was surprised that the genius told me theer is no gps chip in iphone and you have to be connected to wifi or 3g for it to show your location.
In any case, if I've to swap for another 3gs it would be $150 which I don't think is worth for 3gs at this moment. So I'll just keep this until next upgrade and try to figure out when and why Navigon works at some times.
Thanks all!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I've been to Apple store a few times and everytime they test Maps app with wifi on and since it shows the location they claim its not a hardware problem but Navigon issue. Last time I was surprised that the genius told me theer is no gps chip in iphone and you have to be connected to wifi or 3g for it to show your location.
In any case, if I've to swap for another 3gs it would be $150 which I don't think is worth for 3gs at this moment. So I'll just keep this until next upgrade and try to figure out when and why Navigon works at some times.
Thanks all!

One thing that I recommend you try is downloading another App (it could be a free one) to see if it can find out where you are.

Something like this would be ideal:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps-device-data/id445995921?mt=8

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
I also have issues with GPS. And one thing is clear: it is NOT a Navigon issue!

A lot of articles on the web claim that the newer iOS stop the GPS from working any further in 3GS iPhones, mainly due to the BASEBAND version.

So, you could try to downgrade BASEBAND to an older version using redsn0w.
But it might need some skill and care to do it.

You might want to check my story on this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1498532/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.