Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolbinau

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
Australia
I tried Surface with Type Cover (I found touch cover a lot less useful).

I was able to type 100+ WPM in word, while multi-tasking with a journal article open on the same screen, in a device basically as thin and light as an iPad. This is absolutely unachievable on an iPad (you can't multi-task, adding a keyboard on an iPad sacrifices a lot of weight/size and battery, there is no office).

Now, it's difficult to see why Surface has much advantage over say a MBA because there are still some compromises (I suppose it is much cheaper, which probably does make all the difference). But purely iPad vs Surface, you can do things on a Surface in terms of productivity you just can't do on an iPad. So I think it does have at least one advantage.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
If you want a real review, go to http://www.anandtech.com

The RT is great. No apps? Hmm mine seemed to come with a few that seem rather useful... Little no-names like Word, Excel, Powerpoint... Between those, IE/Mail/Calendar/Contacts, and Lync RT I can do everything I used to do on my iPad and about 10x more.

Wish the resolution was higher (Pro will have 1920x1080) but elements still look very good. Type/touch covers are impressive. RDP/citrix work great.

With the unrestricted USB port this could easily be a full time computing device for a student and many other scenarios as well.
USB port maybe unrestricted, but drives more than likely would not be there at all. From the all the initial postings I have seen is the Surface RT can't even hook up to a printer to print, which makes it even more useless than a regular PC.

Renzatic

Suspended
USB port maybe unrestricted, but drives more than likely would not be there at all. From the all the initial postings I have seen is the Surface RT can't even hook up to a printer to print, which makes it even more useless than a regular PC.

But it's a PC running a SUPER INNOVATIVE ARM CHIP! You should love it!

From what I've read, if you've got at least a halfway modern printer (released in the last 5 years or so), it fires right up as soon as you plug it into the USB port. RT has roughly the same accessory support as Windows does, so it shouldn't be an issue provided you're not using some weird off brand.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Now, it's difficult to see why Surface has much advantage over say a MBA because there are still some compromises (I suppose it is much cheaper, which probably does make all the difference).
I am pretty sure battery life is another advantage of the Surface, which is closer to 10 hours vs the 6-7 on the 11in Air. But the biggest advantage is it's superior ARM architecture, thought it is bogged down by it's OS.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
But it's a PC running a SUPER INNOVATIVE ARM CHIP! You should love it!

From what I've read, if you've got at least a halfway modern printer (released in the last 5 years or so), it fires right up as soon as you plug it into the USB port. RT has roughly the same accessory support as Windows does, so it shouldn't be an issue provided you're not using some weird off brand.

I do like that it is running ARM, but the fact that it is still a PC is a big no for me as a Mac purist.

----------

Ha! Called it!
Is it because you read my previous post, or my sig?

Renzatic

Suspended
I do like that it is running ARM, but the fact that it is still a PC is a big no for me as a Mac purist.

Why be a "purist". I use Macs and PCs all the time, and haven't gotten any STDs yet or anything. Haven't even been struck by a bolt of lightning for daring to make the choice.

A computer is a computer to me. Apple makes great computers, but at the end of the day I'm still doing about the same thing on them as I would on a PC. Being a purist seems like you're doing nothing but limiting your options by being overly loyal to a brand name.

"As a Nike zealot, I refuse to buy any of that Adidas crap. I feel their products...reduce me as a person".

Is it because you read my previous post, or my sig?

Previous posts. There's nothing superior about ARM chips besides battery life. And it's only superior there in the same way a Vespa scooter is superior to a Bugatti Veyron.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
I tried Surface with Type Cover (I found touch cover a lot less useful).

I was able to type 100+ WPM in word, while multi-tasking with a journal article open on the same screen, in a device basically as thin and light as an iPad. This is absolutely unachievable on an iPad (you can't multi-task, adding a keyboard on an iPad sacrifices a lot of weight/size and battery, there is no office).

Now, it's difficult to see why Surface has much advantage over say a MBA because there are still some compromises (I suppose it is much cheaper, which probably does make all the difference). But purely iPad vs Surface, you can do things on a Surface in terms of productivity you just can't do on an iPad. So I think it does have at least one advantage.

Why would you want to use Word when you could use..........Pages!!! ;)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I played with RT for a good 20 minutes and I found it to be a mostly satisfying experience.

However Windows 8 in general is not what I call intuitive. It has way too many Easter eggs for its own good.

Overall, I think Microsoft has made some daring but good moves.

jry

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I'm an iPad 2 and Surface owner - arrived Friday. I got the 64 GB with black touch cover.

Over all I'm very pleased with my purchase. I've been using Windows 8 on a regular basis every since it went RTM in August, so the interface is rather familiar to me. For me, the touch gestures and navigation of the Surface are much better than iOS.

Hooking up our wireless Epson printer was seamless. The Surface automatically detected it on the network and installed drivers. I found the touch cover keyboard to be very responsive and easy to adapt to.

I'm not a big app consumer, so right now the only one missing for me for the Surface is HBO Go. Granted the email app is lacking in features, but I'm certain that will improve.

The desktop mode is pretty awesome. There is full network navigation and I'm able to access files on other workstations by supplying AD credentials. The Surface RT can't join a domain, but you can still authenticate through one.

Windows RT is also multiuser allowing you to setup separate accounts with their own document libraries and settings.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
There is a good 30-90 day "honeymoon" period that comes with high end electronics purchases. Of course anyone who bought a Surface will be in love with it, and may even profess to continue to feel that way forever.

Time is the true test. Time with the device, time to see how adequately the library grows, and the updates come, issues resolved, etc...

I had a lot of friends who bought the PS Vita when it first came out, they loved it, and raved about it a lot for the first few weeks. All of them ended up selling theirs.

jry

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah, you can. Just go to add accounts/other accounts.

Nope. I just tried it. It shows POP3 as one of the options, but then says its not supported when you select it . Maybe support will added later. IMAP is better anyway and any decent mail server supports it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm more curious about the atom Pro devices, although I believe the Surface Pro will be ivy bridge. The surface RT is MS trying to out Apple Apple, and I don't think that will work and is a bad move. The surface Pro is what is going to be huge, but we will have to wait and see if MS does something with the battery life and cooling without making it too thick, that's why personally I have more faith in the Atom cpu ones.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I have a feeling that Microsoft surface will be successful.

I have a feeling that Microsoft has lost any hope of ever having a coherent product strategy again. They've totally lost their way and I see no signs of them recovering any sense of "This is who we are, That is our customer and HERE is how we exceed their expectations."

Sad really. They used to be so influential.

Why would you want to use Word when you could use..........Pages!!! ;)

I know you are being sarcastic, but dear god, when will Apple figure out how to let users do things like formatting in a manner that makes sense? Pages is the most unintuitive mess of underwhelming features I've seen since....hmmm....Paperclip for the Commodore 64 maybe?

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006

Actually my drives show up immediately, just like x86 Windows. And the thing automatically found my Brother wireless printer.

People really don't get the whole arm/x86 thing. This is a full blown OS, it just can't run the legacy x86 apps. Kind of like when Apple switched to Intel.

----------

There is a good 30-90 day "honeymoon" period that comes with high end electronics purchases. Of course anyone who bought a Surface will be in love with it, and may even profess to continue to feel that way forever.

Time is the true test. Time with the device, time to see how adequately the library grows, and the updates come, issues resolved, etc...

I had a lot of friends who bought the PS Vita when it first came out, they loved it, and raved about it a lot for the first few weeks. All of them ended up selling theirs.

I buy and sell these devices regularly. We have to stay abreast of the options for our clients... So I don't tend to get very attached. What I do notice is when I actually continue to use things. The iPads I've owned have generally sat around except for meetings and demos - my girlfriend got way more use out of it than I did, browsing recipes and crafts etc. But I've already found myself going to the surface instead of my MBP to do work and other tasks while watching our Giants crush the Tigers...

----------

The Mail app is very plain, doesn't have many options. Certainly doesn't compare with iOS Mail app. You can't even add a POP mail account.

Where do you people come up with this stuff? Is it just throwing spaghetti against the wall?

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
Actually my drives show up immediately, just like x86 Windows. And the thing automatically found my Brother wireless printer.

People really don't get the whole arm/x86 thing. This is a full blown OS, it just can't run the legacy x86 apps. Kind of like when Apple switched to Intel.

----------

I buy and sell these devices regularly. We have to stay abreast of the options for our clients... So I don't tend to get very attached. What I do notice is when I actually continue to use things. The iPads I've owned have generally sat around except for meetings and demos - my girlfriend got way more use out of it than I did, browsing recipes and crafts etc. But I've already found myself going to the surface instead of my MBP to do work and other tasks while watching our Giants crush the Tigers...

----------

Where do you people come up with this stuff? Is it just throwing spaghetti against the wall?

Pesos, how do you find integration between your iphone, surface, and Mac?

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Pesos, how do you find integration between your iphone, surface, and Mac?

Well, like I mentioned earlier I am a fan of Apple hardware but do not care at all for OS X, so my MBP is basically running win8 full time an has been for months. So file sharing between it and the surface is quite easy. Skydrive works very well for most things but I also have direct file sharing set up; mostly for testing purposes currently.

As for the iPhone we all know its pros and cons and limitations (stuck to iTunes). I still find it a much more compelling device than the mess that is android. Apple generally has done a good job with their activesync implementation which is the most critical aspect of a phone for me (the latest i5/ios6 push bug notwithstanding).

I will definitely be giving Winphone8 options a good hard look over the next year.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
It looks interesting... However, I'm watching my Steelers play the Redskins and I just saw a Surface commercial.... My wife and I are left wondering, does the device help you dance better or randomly creat flash mobs? I have when companies do that.. It explains nothing.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Eh. The entire thing reads like a guy who wants to hate what he's about to see, and doesn't disappoint himself.

He made valid points. Microsoft doesn't innovate, they copy. Looking at the pics he took of the Microsoft store was down right embarrassing. Not only are they copying features like magnetic power plugs, but they are copying store design and employee dress codes.

Why buy a wanna be clone when you can go buy the original innovation/trend setter?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
He made valid points. Microsoft doesn't innovate, they copy. Looking at the pics he took of the Microsoft store was down right embarrassing. Not only are they copying features like magnetic power plugs, but they are copying store design and employee dress codes.

Why buy a wanna be clone when you can go buy the original innovation/trend setter?

I'd rather buy the best device, not follow the fashion trend either way. Who cares who copies, they ALL do. This is the most hilarious argument/point I've ever heard anyone come up with.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'd rather buy the best device, not follow the fashion trend either way. Who cares who copies, they ALL do. This is the most hilarious argument/point I've ever heard anyone come up with.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound? the iPad is the best tablet device out. Surely you don't believe that the Surface is a better product? If so, the depths of your stupidity are staggering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.