Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohmkumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
my macpro 3,1 have kernel_task :mad:
how to fix it?

thank you.
:)

UqjHF.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
my macpro 3,1 have kernel_task :mad:
how to fix it?

kernal_task is the main virtual memory manager for OS X and from what is shown in your screen cap, there does appear to be anything abnormal going on there. You can read a long, boring article about it here.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah, that's all well and good, except for the fact that Mac doesn't use a micro-kernel.

Although most versions of Mach are a microkernel, you are correct that the OS X version is not. Thank you for the correction.

So we now agree kernel_task is not the OS itself.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
So we now agree kernel_task is not the OS itself.

I said "OS kernel", not "OS". That is, kernel_task is the user-visible task where all the low-level OS functions are performed, including virtual memory management but also every other OS function.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I said "OS kernel", not "OS". That is, kernel_task is the user-visible task where all the low-level OS functions are performed, including virtual memory management but also every other OS function.

Let's just agree to disagree then. :) I would say the "OS kernel itself" is Mach. I think the OP gets the point either way.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Let's just agree to disagree then. :) I would say the "OS kernel itself" is Mach. I think the OP gets the point either way.

kernel_task is executing /mach_kernel, which is the monolithic Mach kernel that Mac OS X uses. My main point is that kernel_task does a lot more than virtual memory management.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
kernel_task is executing /mach_kernel, which is the monolithic Mach kernel that Mac OS X uses. My main point is that kernel_task does a lot more than virtual memory management.

Fair enough. The documentation on EXACTLY what kernel_task does is pretty hazy.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Fair enough. The documentation on EXACTLY what kernel_task does is pretty hazy.

If you're interested, go and download the "xnu" source code from opensource.apple.com. That has all the public source code for the mach_kernel as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.