Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
You said you bought 8 on launch day, that means you did not buy them "online".

With an online order, the buyer must activate the iPhone first to prevent fraud.

Since an Apple store employee physically handed the 8 iPhone's to you in person, there can't be any fraudulence claim.

For online orders, changing a SIM can't bypass the verification process, otherwise, any lost iP5 in the mail could just be sold by the thieve by swapping the SIM card.

Also AT&T use the activation process to track which iPhone has purchased/upped the contract.

----------

You said you received it today. So that means it is an online order.

I would activate it, tell the buyer it has been open for activation only.

Then ship the phone without the original SIM.

If you want to be a nice seller, include a brand new unactivated AT&T SIM for any US buyer, so the buyer can use it immediately.

I bought a total of 12.... 5 online and 8 in store the 8 online were from AT&T online... None of them had that screen

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
I bought a total of 12.... 5 online and 8 in store the 8 online were from AT&T online... None of them had that screen

How many times does it have to be said?

ON CONTRACT = You will get the activation screen on first boot
FULL PRICE = No activation screen since it's not tied to a wireless number.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010

But on contract, can be unlocked before u activate it and then u don't get that screen, is getting thru the screen only reason I should activate before selling my phone ?

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012

They were tied to a wireless number... They all had labels on the box with the wireless number that had been associated it... I started a new account with 5 lines....

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
They were tied to a wireless number... They all had labels on the box with the wireless number that had been associated it... I started a new account with 5 lines....

The number printed on the box is the number for that SIM.

Full price = Off contract / no subsidize = carrier doesn't need to track the activation, because you have paid for phone in full. = therefore, the phone is unlocked already

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
The number printed on the box is the number for that SIM.

Full price = Off contract / no subsidize = carrier doesn't need to track the activation, because you have paid for phone in full. = therefore, the phone is unlocked already

Yes I don't get why you people think I am arguing... All I said was their Is a way around that screen and that full price phones regardless from apple or AT&T or online do not have that verification screen.

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I know this is for the ATT version, but what about for verizon? i ordered the verizon ip5 and paid the full price, this phone is going to be a gift for a family member that has a ip4 and plan , but dont know if i need to activate it first then cancel my account, or they can straight up activate on their account.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I know this is for the ATT version, but what about for verizon? i ordered the verizon ip5 and paid the full price, this phone is going to be a gift for a family member that has a ip4 and plan , but dont know if i need to activate it first then cancel my account, or they can straight up activate on their account.

You dont need to do anything.
The verizon i5 is automaticly unlocked for any gsm carrier.
They wont have to enter anything or need to activate it at all with verizon.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I activated 2 iPhone 5 both on ATT 2 year plans and never saw that screen asking for zip code and last 4 digits of SSN.

That's the same experience I had when they ship me the 4, 4s and the 5, turn on the new iphone with the pre-install sim inside, new sim activated and old sim will get de-activated, never ask for zip code and last 4 digits of SSN.

I believe if you do the initial activation on a brand new shipped iphone, you don't need the zip and ssn if you use a sim that's tie in to you account, if you insert somebody else at&t sim, you will need to provide the info.

EDIT
ip4 was an upgrade on my account
ip4s a new line for my wife
ip5 upgrade on my account

Last edited:

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
all you have to do is activate and remove sim , that way it will not come up as new iphone and future buyer wont have a bricked phone,and no, there is no way around it, even 112 then power+end call will not get past it, nor will dfu mode, nor will anything except information requested, which is tied to baseband.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
all you have to do is activate and remove sim , that way it will not come up as new iphone and future buyer wont have a bricked phone,and no, there is no way around it, even 112 then power+end call will not get past it, nor will dfu mode, nor will anything except information requested, which is tied to baseband.

DFU MODE and a factory unlock will get past the screen, sorry to break it to you

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
one one my lines had an upgrade due.. i bought a iphone 5 and received it today (still sealed) , i will either give it to my family over seas or it as i don't need iphone on that line ... do i still need to activate that phone before giving/selling it ?

You can call ATT and have them extend your contract but tell them to remove the upgrade pending on the SIM.

They can do this and it will save you or your buyer from having to get another.

ndn001

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
Yes I have got past that screen using a $4.69 Unlock on ebay and DFU restore

I just bought the unlock code from ebay can you please link me to a site where there is instruction how to do into dfu and where do I enter the unlock code from ebay ?

Or if I activate iphone 5 using my personal info without using unlock code and the buyer does some scam using the iphone later on, will the cops come chasing me because the IMEI is linked to my account or am I being too paranoid ?

Thanks a lot

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I just bought the unlock code from ebay can you please link me to a site where there is instruction how to do into dfu and where do I enter the unlock code from ebay ?

Or if I activate iphone 5 using my personal info without using unlock code and the buyer does some scam using the iphone later on, will the cops come chasing me because the IMEI is linked to my account or am I being too paranoid ?

Thanks a lot

There is no code you enter.... You have to look for a video on YouTube on how to enter dfu mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.