Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
alright as to everyone that wanted pictures i have no way of uploading them because my pc crashed and i dont have a camera just an android phone so idk how to get them onto the mac anyone have any ideas on how i could do that? lol

If you can't link up your phone to your iBook via either USB or Bluetooth, then try emailing the photos from your cell, and then download them to your iBook.

As for your previous question, there are several threads in this forum that deal with speeding up PowerPCs. Take a look and/or do a search and you'll find what you need.

If you have the install disks, run Apple hardware check and then Disk Utility to see that everything is in good working order.

In the meantime, most people here seem not to use Safari as their default browser. I like Camino and others like TenFourFox. There are still other browsers that people say work best for them. Safari's a hog and TFF is reportedly not secure.

You can make your iBook run more smoothly by purging all the Intel code. There are threads here for this here as well. My iBook came with Xslimmer installed (I think it costs 12 bucks), so I used that for the same purpose. It works great, and I don't have to muck around with codes. But many folks here will tell you not to pay for commercial software to purge Intel code. Whatever you do, don't pay for any software that claims to speed up your Mac or protect it from viruses.

If you're watching videos on YouTube, download MacTubes for better performance. Two video players that are mentioned frequently on this forum are VLC and MPlayer OS X extended. I like using both.

If you don't need a heavy duty Office suite, Bean (word processor) works great for me, and others here have recommended several alternatives. You can find pretty much any software you need by Googling, being sure to include "PowerPC" in your search terms. Many of us have found that there are good PowerPC applications to suit most of our needs.

Finally, though you said you don't want to spend money, getting a 1GB RAM stick (see the link I posted for RAM above) made all the difference in the world for me after slimming and using PowerPC enhanced software. Very quickly, you'll come to see that 512MB doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
If you can't link up your phone to your iBook via either USB or Bluetooth, then try emailing the photos from your cell, and then download them to your iBook.

As for your previous question, there are several threads in this forum that deal with speeding up PowerPCs. Take a look and/or do a search and you'll find what you need.

If you have the install disks, run Apple hardware check and then Disk Utility to see that everything is in good working order.

In the meantime, most people here seem not to use Safari as their default browser. I like Camino and others like TenFourFox. There are still other browsers that people say work best for them. Safari's a hog and TFF is reportedly not secure.

You can make your iBook run more smoothly by purging all the Intel code. There are threads here for this here as well. My iBook came with Xslimmer installed (I think it costs 12 bucks), so I used that for the same purpose. It works great, and I don't have to muck around with codes. But many folks here will tell you not to pay for commercial software to purge Intel code. Whatever you do, don't pay for any software that claims to speed up your Mac or protect it from viruses.

If you're watching videos on YouTube, download MacTubes for better performance. Two video players that are mentioned frequently on this forum are VLC and MPlayer OS X extended. I like using both.

If you don't need a heavy duty Office suite, Bean (word processor) works great for me, and others here have recommended several alternatives. You can find pretty much any software you need by Googling, being sure to include "PowerPC" in your search terms. Many of us have found that there are good PowerPC applications to suit most of our needs.

Finally, though you said you don't want to spend money, getting a 1GB RAM stick (see the link I posted for RAM above) made all the difference in the world for me after slimming and using PowerPC enhanced software. Very quickly, you'll come to see that 512MB doesn't cut it.

my mac came with camino on it already but theres no way to type in a url or a back button plus i dont have the latest verision it tells me to update every time i open it but when i try to download any kind of update i get this error i was gonna uplaod a picture but still working on getting the pitures from my phone also as to having the disc to check that error i didnt get the disc with the mac which sucks im gonna have to buy one and i have no clue how much that will be
where would be a good place to look for one?

Ive also got another question about the pictures how could i resize them? or check the size of them from my mac?

I do plan on upgrading my ram and putting money into this machine put buying the mac was a stretch on the checkbook i know i only spent $100 on it but if i had more money to spend i would have looked into something more modern i just really wanted a mac so it might be a few weeks till i get the $30 to spend on the ram

Last edited:

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
when you get the ibook, take a good picture of the keyboard up close showing the missing key and a couple around it and post it (or a link to it). i'll dig through the spare parts box and see what i can find. shouldn't be more than a postage stamp to send you one if i can find the one you're missing. best of luck.

here are the pictures

Attachments

• Full Keyboard.jpg
    Full Keyboard.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Close Keyboard.jpg
    Close Keyboard.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 71

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Your only missing 1 command button. The one on the right of the space bar, is the same thing. It has an apple on it.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
being a packrat is the key to finding a key!

here are the pictures

found it, and the scissor to go under it. in the pic, yours seems to be missing.

PM me a shipping address, and i'll toss it in the mail box.

welcome to the wonderful world of iBooks. i love them, use them, and used to support LOTS of them. the good ones last forever, the bad ones are probably all dead by now...

(PM=private message, click my user name, and then private message from the drop down menu.)

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
found it, and the scissor to go under it. in the pic, yours seems to be missing.

PM me a shipping address, and i'll toss it in the mail box.

welcome to the wonderful world of iBooks. i love them, use them, and used to support LOTS of them. the good ones last forever, the bad ones are probably all dead by now...

(PM=private message, click my user name, and then private message from the drop down menu.)

That's very good of you to help. Someone here also helped me in a similar fashion.

I do love my iBook, even with having to replace the notorious DC-in board and kernel panics caused by Airport Extreme.

I'm in NY and without power, so I charge my battery at an accommodating Chinese restaurant. Supposed to be powerless for 7-10 days, so my next purchase is a replacement battery. I should be up around 200 cycles by the time this is over.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
alright thats what i thought it was but i wasnt 100% sure
thanks

It's not going to make a difference for much other than aesthetics with it being pretty much equivelant to having 2 windows keys rather than one. No need to buy a replacement unless you want to.

The best thing to do to speed things up without spending money is to get rid of all the unsupported intel code. There is software you can download that will do this for you automatically but there's also users here who will tell you not to pay for it.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
It's not going to make a difference for much other than aesthetics with it being pretty much equivelant to having 2 windows keys rather than one. No need to buy a replacement unless you want to.

The best thing to do to speed things up without spending money is to get rid of all the unsupported intel code. There is software you can download that will do this for you automatically but there's also users here who will tell you not to pay for it.

There isn't any free software? How much is the software? And what's it called?

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
That's very good of you to help. Someone here also helped me in a similar fashion.

I do love my iBook, even with having to replace the notorious DC-in board and kernel panics caused by Airport Extreme.

I'm in NY and without power, so I charge my battery at an accommodating Chinese restaurant. Supposed to be powerless for 7-10 days, so my next purchase is a replacement battery. I should be up around 200 cycles by the time this is over.

what do you mean the notorious DC-in boardand kernel panics?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files

best of luck to you. stay safe and charge often. the rest of us are worried and thinking about you all on the east coast. i've an aunt in NJ on the coast, flooded/damage and no power, but safe. Safe is all that matters at this point.

what do you mean the notorious DC-in boardand kernel panics?

the DC board is a notable failure prone part. if your's is working after all this time (it is), it should stay working. the iBook systems seem to be good or bad, and the bad ones are mostly dead by now. really.

the airport problem was with the 1.33 12" and the 1.42 14" systems as the airport thingy/card would die or become unseated and then cause kernel panics. your system is safe from that with the older card that 'just works'. yay!

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
alright so ive come across another couple questions
1. can i do anything (without spending money) to speed this beast up?

That's a typical question for someone coming out of the Wintel-world. The short answer is: no.
The reason for this being, that your computer only contains the operating system and no manufacturer-selected added softwares, virus scanners etc.

That said, there are some things you should keep in mind:
1# your current operating system seems to be 10.3.9 a.k.a. Panther, which is not bad. The next one (10.4 a.k.a. Tiger, as far as you can go) is not bad either, but might slow you down somewhat.
2# Unless forced to do otherwise, or you have thoroughly researched the issue, stay with software (browsers etc.), which about match the age of your machine, as usually software expands to match the added capabilities of the machines. For browsing, I really recommend Camino, It has the smallest hardware demands of decent browsers. The best version for your machine is available here: http://caminobrowser.org/download/releases/1.6.11/

2. how to i download like itunes and things like that? cause i dont figure this machine has the power to run the newest itunes? i might be wrong but im not entirely sure

Your machine definitely cannot cope with the latest iTunes. The latest version for your machine is 8.2.1, which is available here: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...unes8/061-6715.20090715.cfr54/itunes8.2.1.dmg

For syncing with your android: if your machine is equipped with bluetooth you can try accessing your mobile's files directly (click on the bluetooth logo near the right edge of your menu bar (if it's there)).
Also try to find out, whether there's an iSync profile available for your phone. iSync is in fact in many ways better than iTunes for just syncing calendars and stuff.

I still have a iBook G3 (600 Mhz) sitting in my bottom drawer, and while I'm hoping I'll never need it, it could take over as backup work computer in 10 minutes (I sync it regularly).

HTH,
Pekka

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
That's a typical question for someone coming out of the Wintel-world. The short answer is: no.
The reason for this being, that your computer only contains the operating system and no manufacturer-selected added softwares, virus scanners etc.

That said, there are some things you should keep in mind:
1# your current operating system seems to be 10.3.9 a.k.a. Panther, which is not bad. The next one (10.4 a.k.a. Tiger, as far as you can go) is not bad either, but might slow you down somewhat.
2# Unless forced to do otherwise, or you have thoroughly researched the issue, stay with software (browsers etc.), which about match the age of your machine, as usually software expands to match the added capabilities of the machines. For browsing, I really recommend Camino, It has the smallest hardware demands of decent browsers. The best version for your machine is available here: http://caminobrowser.org/download/releases/1.6.11/

Your machine definitely cannot cope with the latest iTunes. The latest version for your machine is 8.2.1, which is available here: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...unes8/061-6715.20090715.cfr54/itunes8.2.1.dmg

For syncing with your android: if your machine is equipped with bluetooth you can try accessing your mobile's files directly (click on the bluetooth logo near the right edge of your menu bar (if it's there)).
Also try to find out, whether there's an iSync profile available for your phone. iSync is in fact in many ways better than iTunes for just syncing calendars and stuff.

I still have a iBook G3 (600 Mhz) sitting in my bottom drawer, and while I'm hoping I'll never need it, it could take over as backup work computer in 10 minutes (I sync it regularly).

HTH,
Pekka

Thanks. I am currently camino and I do believe its 1.6.11. Its not to bad. Its definitely better than safari on it. Ill have to look into the blue tooth and see if I have it (currently at work on my phone) i dont have blue tooth on the mac and isync only works for os x10.5 and higher and thanks for the link to the itunes. Im hoping it works I had found a few other links to download 7. Something but the were corrupt or not longer exsisted.

----------

Another question I've come across. I would like to upgrade the os to 10.4 eventually. Possibly even 10.5 if I upgrade the ram. I've done a little searching on ebay and amazon and there seems to be different "versions" of the install disc? Or am I just getting confused since everyone words everything different?

oh btw itunes 8.2 isnt compatible i need os x 10.4.9 to run that

Last edited:

gplmusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Is there anyway to transfer files from a powerbookG4 osx10.4.11,powerpc,to an iPad 3?

Is there anyway to transfer files from a powerbookG4 osx10.4.11,powerpc,to an iPad 3, ios6?

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Here are a few apps that can be usefull to you:

OnyX: free and will clean things up without destroying the OS.
Monolingual: free and will remove unnecessary languages, keyboard layouts and universal binaries.
AppCleaner: free and will remove apps in their entirety.

If you're looking to update to a newer OS, keep it to Tiger (10.4). Leopard (10.5) will probably be very slow on your iBook. If looking at discs on eBay, do not buy the gray discs. You need a black Tiger disc.

Upgrade your RAM first if you haven't already. That will speed things up greatly. You can install a 1GB stick and it's relatively easy to install. There are several videos on YouTube on how to do it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppCleaner: free and will remove apps in their entirety.
Actually, it won't. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.