Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dream.Finder

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2009
Hello all,

So, I got a snazzy new iPhone 5 for my birthday yesterday and upon connecting my phone to my computer, I rudely became aware that my new phone isn't compatible with my current version of iTunes. I tried to update it, but it is already all up to date. I manually downloaded iTunes 10.7 from Apple, but alas, ANOTHER PROBLEM!! :mad:

... I have an iMac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and apparently I can only download the new iTunes with a newer OS... 10.6.8 or higher! So... I go and try to download it (Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.) but it says buy from App Store, which older computers do not have!! :confused:

How do I solve this issue so I can sync my new iPhone with my computer? This is really inconvenient!! And very annoying... I'd like to be able to *actually* use my phone...

Thanks,
Dream.Finder

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Hello all,

So, I got a snazzy new iPhone 5 for my birthday yesterday and upon connecting my phone to my computer, I rudely became aware that my new phone isn't compatible with my current version of iTunes. I tried to update it, but it is already all up to date. I manually downloaded iTunes 10.7 from Apple, but alas, ANOTHER PROBLEM!! :mad:

... I have an iMac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and apparently I can only download the new iTunes with a newer OS... 10.6.8 or higher! So... I go and try to download it (Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.) but it says buy from App Store, which older computers do not have!! :confused:

How do I solve this issue so I can sync my new iPhone with my computer? This is really inconvenient!! And very annoying... I'd like to be able to *actually* use my phone...

Thanks,
Dream.Finder

You need to update to at least snow leopard to get the app store, to be able to get mountain lion.

just upgrade. no use in using antiquated software with a new phone.

Dream.Finder

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2009
You need to update to at least snow leopard to get the app store, to be able to get mountain lion.

just upgrade. no use in using antiquated software with a new phone.

I can't upgrade as Apple provides no place on their website to download an update for Leopard to Mountain Lion.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I can't upgrade as Apple provides no place on their website to download an update for Leopard to Mountain Lion.

you need to BUY leopard. Or Snow Leopard. The Only updates available via the mac app store are Lion and Mountain Lion.

Leopard and Snow Leopard came in physical CDs.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
A friend of mine had this problem, she used a Windows computer running Windows 7 and updated to the new itunes and activated her phone :)

If someone in your family home or a friend has a windows PC , just ask them. She also used an external HD to transfer all her music etc.

Other than that, I would just upgrade if you have the money, it's worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.