Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

I have an iBook G3 that I'd like to be able to connect to the internet in the event that my MacBook Pro screws up. It's got an Airport wireless card, but it's too dated to work with my new router, so the only option to connect to the internet is Ethernet. I used to just plug the ethernet cable into the router, but since the router is now located in the kitchen rather than my room for increased coverage of the whole house I can't really do that anymore. So what I wad wondering is if I could plug the ethernet cable into a modern iMac and share it's internet connection. The iMac is connected to the net via WiFi, and is located in close proximity to the couch. Since you can do other transfers via ethernet would it be possible to connect to the internet via the iMac using an ethernet cable?

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Hello everyone,

I have an iBook G3 that I'd like to be able to connect to the internet in the event that my MacBook Pro screws up. It's got an Airport wireless card, but it's too dated to work with my new router, so the only option to connect to the internet is Ethernet. I used to just plug the ethernet cable into the router, but since the router is now located in the kitchen rather than my room for increased coverage of the whole house I can't really do that anymore. So what I wad wondering is if I could plug the ethernet cable into a modern iMac and share it's internet connection. The iMac is connected to the net via WiFi, and is located in close proximity to the couch. Since you can do other transfers via ethernet would it be possible to connect to the internet via the iMac using an ethernet cable?

Yeah your Airport card should work with no issues. I have a Huawei WiMax Device with WiFi N and it works with no problems.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
You have a few options depending on the version of OS X you're running... One is buying a USB dongle that is 802.11N compliant if you're router can not handle B/G. Your second option is what you're suggesting which will work just fine. Go into your sharing preferences, select your Airport turn on Ethernet, then turn on connection sharing.

On your iBook go into your network settings and set it to use a DHCP, then get an Ethernet cable and hook one end up to your iBook and the other to the newer Mac. Your iBook will pick up an IP address and an internet connection with your newer Mac effectively acting as a DHCP server.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
You have a few options depending on the version of OS X you're running... One is buying a USB dongle that is 802.11N compliant if you're router can not handle B/G. Your second option is what you're suggesting which will work just fine. Go into your sharing preferences, select your Airport turn on Ethernet, then turn on connection sharing.

On your iBook go into your network settings and set it to use a DHCP, then get an Ethernet cable and hook one end up to your iBook and the other to the newer Mac. Your iBook will pick up an IP address and an internet connection with your newer Mac effectively acting as a DHCP server.

Cool, thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. One thing though: The iBook is using Mac OS9, not Mac OSX. Would that be a problem?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Cool, thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. One thing though: The iBook is using Mac OS9, not Mac OSX. Would that be a problem?

No the whole point of OS 8.1 was to introduce a proper TCP/IP stack, that's what all the hype about the iMac and iBook was really about :p We're online without an AOL disk WHEY! Totally Gnarly, Bodacious encino man :D

So long as you are running an OS from 8.1 onwards and set your TCP/IP control panel to acquire an IP using a DHCP server you will be good to go, but I'd also recommend installing Classila.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
No the whole point of OS 8.1 was to introduce a proper TCP/IP stack, that's what all the hype about the iMac and iBook was really about :p We're online without an AOL disk WHEY! Totally Gnarly, Bodacious encino man :D

So long as you are running an OS from 8.1 onwards and set your TCP/IP control panel to acquire an IP using a DHCP server you will be good to go, but I'd also recommend installing Classila.

Yeah, I am using Classila - Internet Explorer 5 was just... :eek:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Yeah, I am using Classila - Internet Explorer 5 was just... :eek:

It will be IE 5 doesn't know how to handle CSS, so you'll be seeing the internet with no style at all. Classilla has the err... Scaffolding for a New Zealand friendly term, to handle the modern internet and for most purposes if you can put up with it, it'll do the job adequately enough.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It will be IE 5 doesn't know how to handle CSS, so you'll be seeing the internet with no style at all. Classilla has the err... Scaffolding for a New Zealand friendly term, to handle the modern internet and for most purposes if you can put up with it, it'll do the job adequately enough.

Oh, it has style alright. It's just really messed up, as in the webpage elements are all over the place. Classilla is pretty good with the more basic websites, such as MacRumors & Wikipedia. The only thing on MacRumors that doesn't work on Classilla is the smilies (you need to type them manually, coz clicking the button doesn't work :().

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
EDIT: I'm having trouble configuring the TCP/IP settings on the iBook. In the TCP/IP setting panel there are only three things you can change. The first is the 'Connect Via' dropdown menu. I have selected 'Ethernet - Built in' for this. The next is 'Configure'. I have selected 'Using DHCP server' for this one. And the third is a box asking for a 'DHCP Client ID'. Would that be the IP address of my iMac?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
EDIT: I'm having trouble configuring the TCP/IP settings on the iBook. In the TCP/IP setting panel there are only three things you can change. The first is the 'Connect Via' dropdown menu. I have selected 'Ethernet - Built in' for this. The next is 'Configure'. I have selected 'Using DHCP server' for this one. And the third is a box asking for a 'DHCP Client ID'. Would that be the IP address of my iMac?

You should be able to leave the client id blank.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Ok so:

1) You have selected both "Ethernet" and "Using DHCP server" from the drop down menus?
2) You have hooked up an Ethernet cable correctly to the the Ethernet port and not the modem port?

Failing that, I'm not sure/don't remember whether your iBook has autoselect for crossover cables or whether you will need an actual crossover cable, you could try a crossover cable if you have one.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ok so:

1) You have selected both "Ethernet" and "Using DHCP server" from the drop down menus?
2) You have hooked up an Ethernet cable correctly to the the Ethernet port and not the modem port?

Failing that, I'm not sure/don't remember whether your iBook has autoselect for crossover cables or whether you will need an actual crossover cable, you could try a crossover cable if you have one.

Ok, what's a crossover cable?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Ok, what's a crossover cable?

It's a type of ethernet cable used to connect computers directly to eachother if they are incapable of recognising they are connected to eachother directly by cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Also I might have given you a bum steer... you are sharing your Airport over ethernet from your newer Mac right? That's what you will need if you want to share your wireless connection.

Is the iBook getting a valid IP adress? i.e. not something in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range?

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It's a type of ethernet cable used to connect computers directly to eachother if they are incapable of recognising they are connected to eachother directly by cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Also I might have given you a bum steer... you are sharing your Airport over ethernet from your newer Mac right? That's what you will need if you want to share your wireless connection.

Is the iBook getting a valid IP adress? i.e. not something in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range?

Yeah I'm trying to share the Wifi from the iMac with the iBook. And yeah, I believe the IP address the iBook was getting starts with 169 :eek: Is that an issue?

Thanks

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Yeah I'm trying to share the Wifi from the iMac with the iBook. And yeah, I believe the IP address the iBook was getting starts with 169 :eek: Is that an issue?

Thanks

If its getting an IP address in the 169 range something is not working, that is a default fallback IP address range if your DHCP server is not handing out an IP address correctly and there's an issue going on somewhere.

Your iBook is not getting an IP address from your Mac... Something is breaking down in between, just not sure what that is off the top of my head. You've shared your Airport (Wifi) connection over ethernet, you've set up your iBook to receive an IP address from the DHCP server. Your Mac is acting as the DHCP server.

I can only suspect that your iBook is on the list here of Macs that require a crossover cable and you might have to stop by your local computer shop and ask for one. In this day and age it shouldn't cost you more than $5-$10.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274

The question being whether your iBook is a dual USB port (white iBook) or newer model, as opposed to the others on the list.

Could you give us some more info about which model iBook you have please? Thanks...

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If its getting an IP address in the 169 range something is not working, that is a default fallback IP address range if your DHCP server is not handing out an IP address correctly and there's an issue going on somewhere.

Your iBook is not getting an IP address from your Mac... Something is breaking down in between, just not sure what that is off the top of my head. You've shared your Airport (Wifi) connection over ethernet, you've set up your iBook to receive an IP address from the DHCP server. Your Mac is acting as the DHCP server.

I can only suspect that your iBook is on the list here of Macs that require a crossover cable and you might have to stop by your local computer shop and ask for one. In this day and age it shouldn't cost you more than $5-$10.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274

The question being whether your iBook is a dual USB port (white iBook) or newer model, as opposed to the others on the list. Could you go into the System profiler and paste the model identifier here, thanks.

It is a white 2001 iBook that has dual USB ports, so yeah. I guess I'll have to pick up a cross-over cable sometime, shouldn't be a problem. So when I get a cross-over cable will no configuration be required?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
It is a white 2001 iBook that has dual USB ports, so yeah. I guess I'll have to pick up a cross-over cable sometime, shouldn't be a problem. So when I get a cross-over cable will no configuration be required?

There shouldn't be any need to configure anything differently, just plug it in and it should work with your network settings you've got. Failing that I don't know whats going on.

donald.t

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
My cousin gifted me ibook g3 on my birthday. I am a new user to this.
If i will run internet, will it run all of my non-mac programs.??

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Your ibook G3

...can connect to the internets. Original airport only.

...will not run any of your non mac programs. You will need mac programs. oldapps.com has older versions of many popular PPC mac programs.

...will not go beyond 10.4.11 (Tiger).

...will not handle flash or youtube very well, mobile 3gp works ok, probably anything above 240p flash will be out of the question

if its a clamshell (coloured, looks like a hello kitty purse, has a handle), you can put Tiger on some, Panther works better on the really old ones (Tangerine and Blueberry). Tiger is a better OS as there are still supported browsers like Omniweb and Tenfourfox. You can also go hella retro and stick with OS 9, lots of free abandoware out there on the web for 0S 9. Classilla is the best browser for OS 9, but it is LIMITED at handling the modern web, and youtube is pretty much out of the question.

if its a snow ibook (square, white, 12 or 14 inch screens), you have more and better options. Like Tiger.

Doesn't sound like you are uber computer savvy, but if I am mistaken and you are, there is also MintPPC, a Linux distro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.