Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Perhaps this could help you:

Please give it a try and activate the option "Hearing Aid Mode".

You can find it here:
"Settings" -> "General" -> "Accessibility" -> "Hearing Aids"

I couldn't test it yet, but I have read that activating the option "Hearing Aid Mode" should remove the curios feeling while having a call with the iPhone 5.
Perhaps this option deactivates the microphone at the backside of the iPhone5?!

I just did some reading - apparently that is exactly what it does. It is supposed to eliminate all noise canceling features because hearing aids in "telecoil" mode provide their own noise canceling. Someone please post back about how well this works because this could be huge for those of us having problems.

dunkin1

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought this was a great idea. I have co-workers that just wear their Bose without music to have quiet. It gives you the "suction cup" effect. This makes sense. Is it really that disorienting for people? I guess they should make it selectable. I think you have to hold the phone exactly right for this to happen also. So, it will vary from person to person. If I move the phone around I can get it to happen. I like it.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Did you have any problem with the volume of the speaker becoming overly loud? I spoke with one person via pm that said that once you turn that on the speaker volume is stuck up at full blast.

If this really does work, then I'm gonna repurchase the 5.

Crisu

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
You are right, now the speaker is louder than before.
If you use the iPhone outdoor - it's ok.
But for the use by train it is unfortunately not perfect.
You can adjust the volume, but the MIN-setting is at least 50% of normal use.

I think we'll have to wait for iOS 6.1.

chives

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Thats because that is exactly what noise cancellation is. It takes the frequencies of the sound around you, flips them and plays the sound into your headphone thus canceling it self out. Its just more sound waves in your ear. This can tire your ears faster and cause headaches and stuff. This is why i don't buy noise canceling headphones. For the iphone i like it.

My bose noise canceling headphones give me the exact sensation you are talking about. It feels like there is a pressure wave hitting your eardrum from a sound...yet you hear nothing.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
WHEW!! Count me in on the whole weird feeling thing and I'm glad it wasn't so etching wrong with me! I thought I was having a migraine attack (I sometimes lose hearing partially when I get a severe migraine attack)! Some posts here describe it perfectly -- like having a problem with pressure in the ears (like when you gain or lose altitude on a flight suddenly). That's the feeling! Again, I thought it might be a problem with one ear until I switched sides and it affected the other (that's when I thought I was having a crazy migraine attack). To keep my senses I just HAD to Google it, and that's taken me here!

My wife says she notices it too.

I notice it comes on after a few seconds into the call. I suppose it takes just that long for the microphone at the back to analyse the ambient noise and cancel it out.

I had thought calls would be clearer if only the other person was using an iPhone 5. Well... Apparently not? Our own iPhone 5 cancels noise out. Wicked, but a little weirded out about it. It feels like you've been sucked into a vacuum (not that I'd really know the feeling) and the only thing you can hear in that one ear is whoever you're talking to!

shaun310

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I've had the same problems and everyone thought I was crazy. Mine started with the first gen Iphone and then switched to an HTC. I had the HTC for 2.5 years and everything was normal. Switched back to the I 5 and can't even use it. Just like everyone else, Dizziness, headache, blurry vision. Feels like I'm in a tunnel or changing altitudes. Like a balloon was blowing up in my head when holding the phone up to it. I thought it was a brain tumor and was really scared. Hopefully the hearing aid setting helps. I'm going to try it and get back to everyone here tomorrow.

shaun310

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
After using the phone for a few days in hearing aid mode it seems to have fixed the problem. I'm stoked. Looks like I will be keeping my phone. Thanks for the help guys.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
After using the phone for a few days in hearing aid mode it seems to have fixed the problem. I'm stoked. Looks like I will be keeping my phone. Thanks for the help guys.
Apple really should have a way of turning off noise cancellation for people who are having problems with it. Unless people read this forum or elsewhere on the internet about using the hearing aid feature then they will still have this problem.

Also on my iPhone 4 the hearing aid feature says that it may reduce cellular reception. I don't know if that is the same for the 5, but that means that the hearing aid function may not be the best solution if it creates a compromise in cellular performance. It would be better if Apple gave us a way to turn of noise cancellation completely instead of this hearing aid solution.

People who are having problems should send Apple feedback: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

If enough people write to them then they may fix the problem in the future.

Nicovinius

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Switzerland
I believe that noise cancellation Technologies are really bad for the health. I believe, that the effect of noise-cancellation is causing a malfunction of the pressure equalization in the ear while using. The pressure equalization itself is flipping while noise-cancellation. This will not result in a contineous malfunction of the pressure equalization. Instead it will harm the Equilibrium, your very important organ for your balance. The Story behind that conclusion is based on a few medical tests from my girlfriend. She is studying medicine and therefore she has been wearing bose noise cancellation all the time. Additionally, she changed to a newer phone with noise cancellation. One fine day she had problems with her Balance, she was suffering from nausea and vomiting. In the Hospital they found out that she had completly lost her Feeling for Balance on one side. It is called vestibular neuronitis and it will last to the end of her days. That is what they say for now.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I believe that noise cancellation Technologies are really bad for the health. I believe, that the effect of noise-cancellation is causing a malfunction of the pressure equalization in the ear while using. The pressure equalization itself is flipping while noise-cancellation. This will not result in a contineous malfunction of the pressure equalization. Instead it will harm the Equilibrium, your very important organ for your balance. The Story behind that conclusion is based on a few medical tests from my girlfriend. She is studying medicine and therefore she has been wearing bose noise cancellation all the time. Additionally, she changed to a newer phone with noise cancellation. One fine day she had problems with her Balance, she was suffering from nausea and vomiting. In the Hospital they found out that she had completly lost her Feeling for Balance on one side. It is called vestibular neuronitis and it will last to the end of her days. That is what they say for now.

This thread is over 4 years old. I think your words will be falling on deaf ears.

WeatherMate

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
san francisco, california
Try these steps to cancel noise the noise in your iPhone. These steps might solve your issue:
  1. Open the “Settings” app and head to “General” and then to “Accessibility”
  2. Scroll down to the “HEARING” section and toggle the switch next to “Phone Noise Cancellation” to the OFF position

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.