Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple sold out of white iPad mini pre-order stock in just minutes on Friday, supplies of the black models held out quite bit longer for those in the United States where Apple was showing greatest availability.

black_ipad_mini_preorder_sold_out.jpg
Availability of the black models in the U.S. online store began to slip on Saturday, when shipping dates for the 16 GB Wi-Fi model moved to two weeks. The 32 GB and 64 GB models have now followed suit, and all Wi-Fi iPad mini models are now being quoted two-week shipping estimates. Apple is still quoting its original "Mid November" estimate for cellular-capable models in the U.S., with other countries seeing "Late November" estimates.

The iPad mini will officially launch this Friday, November 2. For those who were not able place pre-orders in time, Apple's retail stores will begin sales at 8:00 AM on Friday.

Apple's fourth-generation iPad is also launching on Friday under a similar schedule that will see cellular-capable models delayed until mid-to-late November. New pre-orders for Wi-Fi iPad models are currently seeing shipping estimates of one week in many countries, with some seeing two-week estimates.

Article Link: Apple Sells Out of Remaining Launch Day iPad Mini Pre-Order Stock

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Are Apple stores the only place carrying iPad Mini's on launch day? I ordered one after they sold out, but can still cancel my order if I can find one... Unfortunately, the closest Apple store is 2 hours away though :/

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
this fan will get the ipad 4th gen on the 2nd of November... already received shipping notice of the Smart Case... So i'll have the case just before getting it. :)

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
This launch is a total flop! I mean really it took this long to sell out of launch stock? Apple stock is going to nosedive!

/sarcasm

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
How many is "Selling out"?

Just curious what the numbers are. Apple could have 10 iPad mini tablets and sell them out.

I just like numbers when it comes to sales so am curious to see them.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Are Apple stores the only place carrying iPad Mini's on launch day? I ordered one after they sold out, but can still cancel my order if I can find one... Unfortunately, the closest Apple store is 2 hours away though :/

I don't think they are, I saw an ad here locally for Sam's Club, says they will have them in stock Nov 2. Not sure if you have one of those around but it's worth a shot.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo

I'm not sure of the answer to the first part but consider yourself lucky the store is only 2 hours away haha. Our closest Apple store is 3 1/2 hours from our home town.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Never underestimate the number of idiots in the world willing to part with almost double the cash for a technically inferior product, simply because it has a picture of a fruit on it.

Never underestimate the number of idiots who have time to come to an Apple related forum to trash Apple products.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Finally!

I was toying with the idea of changing my order of a Black 16GB WiFi, to a White 32GB. Now I will just get 32GB "iPad mini 2" WiFi+4G, whenever that release may be (6-12 months? haha).

EDIT: Also, my order has been "Preparing for Shipment" for two days anyways. It'll get here when it gets here.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
How many is "Selling out"?

Just curious what the numbers are. Apple could have 10 iPad mini tablets and sell them out.

I just like numbers when it comes to sales so am curious to see them.

They will release them in a few weeks. They will never say what the pre-orders alone are though, they will include all launch weekend sales.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I find iOS stale and boring after using it for 4 years. I think it's the better smartphone OS, but given the abilities of a Nexus tablet in terms of what you are "allowed" to do, a 10" Nexus tablet is much more capable to replace my business laptop.

I am sure the mini like all Apple products is well built and not "cheap" feeling, but I have been frustrated at the "workarounds" I do to use my iPad (inclusive of jailbreaking).

I hope it is doing well, but when I see this story 2 things come to mind.

a) what was supply?

b) Launch day is only 4 days away. "delivers 11/2" had to change eventually (even if it was 1 day out). Apple has no reason to rush the processing and delivery just because somebody preordered late. Maybe Apple was always planning on pushing back the delivery date by today regardless. Apple always overestimates those shipping dates anyway, so even though it says 2 weeks, they will likely arrive sometime next week.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
And they say it wouldn't sell.

Who said that, exactly? People like me griping isn't the same as saying it won't sell.

Never underestimate the number of idiots who have time to come to an Apple related forum to trash Apple products.

Last I checked, this was macrumors. Not macfans. This is news about Apple. Not praise-Apple only. Speaking of which, it should be pointed out I was warned for calling someone a name. This person is calling someone a name, too.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Never underestimate the number of idiots in the world willing to part with almost double the cash for a technically inferior product, simply because it has a picture of a fruit on it.

You have a very tenuous grasp of the meanings of the words "almost double," "technically inferior," and "idiots."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.