Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
To edit the pics on the iPad I'm using iPhoto and Snapseed. I usually import right into aperture from the SD card but would like to edit on my iPad first (don't really know how to use aperture yet and just looking for simple edits)

From reading the previous posts it seems that using Photostream should keep the file size the same?

Are you looking at the Photostream photos on you iPad or on you Mac? The way that Photostream works is that it will upload the full resolution file (I've tested this with a 22MP file and it worked fine), but that file will ONLY be available to your Mac. When viewing Photostream on you iPad, iPhone, or any other iOS device the image is "optimized" for mobile use. Kinda lame I know, but it is a free service. You'll need go back to your Mac and download the photo using iPhoto and Aperture to see the full hi-res version. I usually leave Aperture open and set Photostream to download automatically when I'm traveling as a form of backup.

Another thing I should mention is that when you are shooting RAW+JPEG only the JPEG will be sent to Photostream. However, if you're shooting RAW only it will send the RAW file in full resolution for your Mac to download.

I've done a TON of experimentation and research on this and can tell you with 100% certainty that this is how it works. That being said I'd test it out for yourself since it will help things make more sense.

As for the slight decrease in file size from iPhoto, I couldn't tell you. iPhoto may compress the file slightly during output to help for uploads and sharing, but from what I've been able to see the differences are not noticeable. Hope this helps!

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I was concerned about that too and you're right that if you're going FROM your Mac or Photostream (itunes or photostream) to an iOS device that they are optimized, but not the other way around. Mac (itunes) or Photostream to iPad or iPhone = 3.1MP max. iPad (loaded using camera kit) to Photostream and Aperture = no loss of resolution or file quality. This is something that I've experimented with and double and triple checked the results before I settled on the workflow so this is not hearsay. This is something that works in practice.

Now all that being said, my DSLR is shooting at 10MP. Perhaps I haven't hit the shelf for optimization yet?

This is what I was basing my previous reply on.

----------

I believe that the comments are related to the iPad and not Photostream. Photostream does resize pics.

Thanks for the info and I believe you're right (based upon my own experience).

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Are you looking at the Photostream photos on you iPad or on you Mac? The way that Photostream works is that it will upload the full resolution file (I've tested this with a 22MP file and it worked fine), but that file will ONLY be available to your Mac. When viewing Photostream on you iPad, iPhone, or any other iOS device the image is "optimized" for mobile use. Kinda lame I know, but it is a free service. You'll need go back to your Mac and download the photo using iPhoto and Aperture to see the full hi-res version. I usually leave Aperture open and set Photostream to download automatically when I'm traveling as a form of backup.

Another thing I should mention is that when you are shooting RAW+JPEG only the JPEG will be sent to Photostream. However, if you're shooting RAW only it will send the RAW file in full resolution for your Mac to download.

I've done a TON of experimentation and research on this and can tell you with 100% certainty that this is how it works. That being said I'd test it out for yourself since it will help things make more sense.

As for the slight decrease in file size from iPhoto, I couldn't tell you. iPhoto may compress the file slightly during output to help for uploads and sharing, but from what I've been able to see the differences are not noticeable. Hope this helps!

Now that I tested it again, it seems that PhotoStream does in fact save to the Mac at the same file size and resolution as what's on the iPad. I took a pic and imported to my iPad which yielded a 4.5MB photo. PhotoStream in Aperture showed the same. Then I edited the pic in iPhoto on my iPad and exported it to the Camera Roll. The file size shrunk to 1.5MB but the resolution stayed the same. And sure enough, PhotoStream on my Mac showed the same info. This is great news. Just now left wondering why the file size shrinks but I think that was answered before. Thanks!

Left side shows EXIF in iPhoto on iPad. Right side shows EXIF in Aperture PhotoStream on Macbook Pro.

img0112of.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Just now left wondering why the file size shrinks but I think that was answered before.

iOS shrinks the file size so that the average consumer can have a huge amount of pictures on their iPhone/iPad. Now that your concerns about the file size have been alleviated, what did you think of using the iPad to do basic edits, reviews, etc.?

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
To edit the pics on the iPad I'm using iPhoto and Snapseed. I usually import right into aperture from the SD card but would like to edit on my iPad first (don't really know how to use aperture yet and just looking for simple edits)

From reading the previous posts it seems that using Photostream should keep the file size the same?

Yes. However, as Kevin said, if you want to use RAW files you will need to download those directly to your Mac.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Yes. However, as Kevin said, if you want to use RAW files you will need to download those directly to your Mac.

That's not quite what I said. If you shoot ONLY RAW then the RAW file will transfer through Photostream untouched (just like the JPEG files). However, if you shoot RAW+JPEG Photostream will ONLY grab the JPEG file. As a result I only shoot RAW when traveling so that I may use Photostream as a form of backup. If I wasn't clear on that then I apologize. I hope that is a bit more clear.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
iOS shrinks the file size so that the average consumer can have a huge amount of pictures on their iPhone/iPad. Now that your concerns about the file size have been alleviated, what did you think of using the iPad to do basic edits, reviews, etc.?

Honestly I think I'm going to stick with doing my edits using Aperture. I really would like to learn how to use the program and really the only "edits" that I use in iPhoto/Snapseed on the iPad are auto-tune and filters. And the one thing that bugs me about editing on the iPad and saving through photostream is that the lens data gets lost in the PhotoStream transfer. Seems that all other EXIF info carries over but that. Not a deal breaker by any means but I'd rather have that info in Aperture so I can see which lenses yield the shots I like. But using the iPad as a review tool is great I can definitely see myself leaving my Macbook at home when on vacation and just storing my photos on the iPad and deleting the ones I don't like. Then just transfer the remaining pics to Aperture and do my edits and I'm good!

I really wish Apple would come out with a true IOS Aperture/iPhoto app that syncs data back and forth with your library. Hopefully that's coming down the road.

Thanks again for all the help it is appreciated.

----------

That's not quite what I said. If you shoot ONLY RAW then the RAW file will transfer through Photostream untouched (just like the JPEG files). However, if you shoot RAW+JPEG Photostream will ONLY grab the JPEG file. As a result I only shoot RAW when traveling so that I may use Photostream as a form of backup. If I wasn't clear on that then I apologize. I hope that is a bit more clear.

This is good to know also. So basically when shooting RAW+JPEG you should always import from the iPad/SD card in order to get the RAW files as Photostream will only sync RAW if shooting in only RAW mode. Lol I think I pretty much repeated what u said but had to write it out for my own clarity.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Honestly I think I'm going to stick with doing my edits using Aperture. I really would like to learn how to use the program and really the only "edits" that I use in iPhoto/Snapseed on the iPad are auto-tune and filters. And the one thing that bugs me about editing on the iPad and saving through photostream is that the lens data gets lost in the PhotoStream transfer. Seems that all other EXIF info carries over but that. Not a deal breaker by any means but I'd rather have that info in Aperture so I can see which lenses yield the shots I like. But using the iPad as a review tool is great I can definitely see myself leaving my Macbook at home when on vacation and just storing my photos on the iPad and deleting the ones I don't like. Then just transfer the remaining pics to Aperture and do my edits and I'm good!

That's another one of the other reasons I'll only shoot RAW. Nothing gets stripped away when it goes to Photostream. For my workflow, I don't really do much editing on my iPad. I primarily use it for reviewing, and as I've discussed before, using it as a form of backup with Photostream. Usually the only time I'll edit in iPhoto or Snapseed is if I want to share or send a preview of a shoot to friends or a client. In that case the RAW files JPEG preview will work just fine for those purposes.

I have looked into using Filterstorm Pro since it does handle RAW, but I've heard the latest updates have crashing issues so I've become a little gun shy. What I REALLY want is an Aperture companion for reviewing, rating, organizing, and sharing my RAW files. It would be great to have all that done before getting home so all I'd need to do is editing. There is an application like this called Photosmith, but it only works with Lightroom :(

Last edited:

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
That's another one of the other reasons I'll only shoot RAW. Nothing gets stripped away when it goes to Photostream. For my workflow, I don't really do much editing on my iPad. I primarily use it for reviewing, and as I've discussed before, using it as a form of backup with Photostream. Usually the only time I'll edit in iPhoto or Snapseed is if I want to share or send a preview of a shoot to friends or a client. In that case the RAW files JPEG preview will work just fine for those purposes.

I have looked into using Filterstorm Pro since it does handle RAW, but I've heard the latest updates have crashing issues so I've become a little gun shy. What I REALLY want is an Aperture companion for reviewing, rating, organizing, and sharing my RAW files. It would be great to have all that done before getting home so all I'd need to do is editing. There is an application like this called Photosmith, but it only works with Lightroom :(

That is exactly what I want also. I would love to have the option to add my photos to Projects, rate, tag faces, and basically do all of my organizational tasks on my iPad. Would save me alot of time when I'm away from my Macbook which I leave docked on my desk most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.