Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sugarbear

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
As long as I have the option to turn it off/on with a switch, too.

I don't want to break out my phone/ipad, wake it up and look for an app just to turn off the lights...

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Ugh. I hate the tendency of Macrumors posters to take every cool new things and deride it because it's not instantly cheap and instantly everywhere. As if those factors will never change over time.

Since when did the Wal*Mart ethos take over technology forums?

At least an Audiophile will save up and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a DAC or cables. They realize it's a high margin, high aesthetic hobby and they accept it.

Now we have all of these wannabe Geek tech fans that thing everything should be in the $1 bin at Target. Pass.

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Not only colors

I like it. I'm abroad frequently and I like the idea of switching my lights from a distance and as ist is LED i think they will have a descent durability.

Greetz from Hamburg

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Didn't I hear you say the same thing to the Wright brothers?

"Wake me up when you can fly further than a hundred feet and carry more than one passenger"

Sometimes the responses to niche product releases on here are hilarious.

No, I'm going to defend jwdsail. It was a fair comment.

Saying "Wake me up when you can fly further than a hundred feet and carry more than one passenger" is a perfectly legitimate response! I was complaining about people who were saying it was just dumb and nothing more. The people (like jwdsail) who are saying "I'll be interested when x happens" are the forward thinkers who are actually interested in watching technology grow.

That's exactly the right attitude.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Would it kill them to publish the actual CRI for these bulbs?

And are these standard A19 bulbs? I'd definitely be interested in trying some dim-able PAR38 floods.

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Im in- going straight into my theater- would be great if they could connect to the movie source and change color/intensity accordingly...

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...for people who have so much free time they want to spend it programming their lightbulbs?

Looks cool, though. :eek:

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I paid $60 for a plain led light replacement that does nothing but turn on last year. $59 for one with colors and remotely controlled isn't bad compared to that.

You guys all can hate, and talk about how over priced they are, but I want it. I'll pay that for lighting that can be put on a sleep timer, adjusted to a color I select from a picture or color picker. I'll take 1 kit please.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
Seriously, replacing every single light bulb in the house? That's a bit much. Besides, the changing color thing is more a novelty than anything else.

What would be really great is to get some iOS web-enabled light switches. Suddenly I can control all the lights in a room with my iPhone, by replacing a single switch! Take a look at my family room... 7 bulbs for the whole room, and I'm always going to want to control them together. With this system, that would be over $300 for the entire room. Give me a $50 web-enabled light switch any day!

How does this work if I turn the lights off when I leave, but then someone else (a family member, a neighbor, a friend, whatever) enters the house? Do they have to have the same app on their phone, logged into my account, so they can turn on my lights? Either that or they have to call me to do it for them... seems like a waste with a perfectly good light switch sitting on the wall.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Perhaps a more useful function would be for the iOS app to monitor the time of day and overall brightness of the room and slowly increase the brightness when it got dark.

It's pricey but I just spend $20 a bulb yesterday on a regular Phillips 7 watt LED PAR20 ...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Seriously, replacing every single light bulb in the house? That's a bit much. Besides, the changing color thing is more a novelty than anything else.

What would be really great is to get some iOS web-enabled light switches. Suddenly I can control all the lights in a room with my iPhone, by replacing a single switch! Take a look at my family room... 7 bulbs for the whole room, and I'm always going to want to control them together. With this system, that would be over $300 for the entire room. Give me a $50 web-enabled light switch any day!

How does this work if I turn the lights off when I leave, but then someone else (a family member, a neighbor, a friend, whatever) enters the house? Do they have to have the same app on their phone, logged into my account, so they can turn on my lights? Either that or they have to call me to do it for them... seems like a waste with a perfectly good light switch sitting on the wall.

i'm sure they still work with the switch...

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
You guys all can hate, and talk about how over priced they are, but I want it. I'll pay that for lighting that can be put on a sleep timer, adjusted to a color I select from a picture or color picker. I'll take 1 kit please.

Overpriced? UNDERPRICED. If they cost about $12 per lightbulb, the lightbulb lasts 20x longer than incandecent, which only cost $1. So pay 10x to get 20x the life...

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
When the price goes down to $5 a bulb, call me. That is the only way this will be successful, and it will eventually come down in price or disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.