Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
You can buy single bulbs like this with a remote for $11 online. Same basic thing with colors and different blinking modes, etc.
The only observation I'd make is that you can't get a high-quality LED bulb (with a decent amount of lumens, at least) for $11. Add to that other electronics and the quality will only continue downhill. Phillips makes some of the finest LED light bulbs out there—perhaps the finest of this sort—so though this costs extra money, it will, in all probability, be the finest product of this type, and it will be far better than any equivalent product sold for $11.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
An interesting product. The biggest show-stopper in my opinion isn't the price, it's the relatively low output of the lights. At 600 lumens you probably won't be reading with these lights. However I would consider replacing my ancient X-10 system with these.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
One big problem with these is that if the light is turned off at the switch, it's not going to turn on when you send a prompt from your app. Same deal if the software says the bulb is off, and someone tries the switch.

What happens if you grandmother is over and can't make the lights work? Or if someone needs to turn on the lights but doesn't have an iPhone?

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't want to break out my phone/ipad, wake it up and look for an app just to turn off the lights...

Exactly.

What is the point of such a lighting system other than entertainment/gimmickry? Can you imagine fumbling around for your iPad or iPhone to simply adjust the lighting when you really need it. Seems like the height of laziness to me, but to each their own. As for setting the timers, well, timers for lighting have existed for many years...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
One big problem with these is that if the light is turned off at the switch, it's not going to turn on when you send a prompt from your app. Same deal if the software says the bulb is off, and someone tries the switch.

What happens if you grandmother is over and can't make the lights work? Or if someone needs to turn on the lights but doesn't have an iPhone?

This is probably not the case. As with other home automation systems, the light will very likely turn on or off manually from the fixture.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
These phillips bulbs are not the best ones out there. They are not instant on and cannot be dimmer.

I bought the ones are costco for $5 a piece and there are far superior.

I guess if the x10 is built into the bulb maybe...

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Overpriced? UNDERPRICED. If they cost about $12 per lightbulb, the lightbulb lasts 20x longer than incandecent, which only cost $1. So pay 10x to get 20x the life...

I agree, this is an investment, but a worthy one.

I just checked and a $50 bulb from philips on homedepot.com gets 22.4 years. You'd never have to buy a bulb again. I would hope this are also in a class of their own, giving more years than standard ones.

And if you incorporate the timer features, and the variable brightness, you probably get many years added to that lifespan, cause you're using the bulb much less and also not forgetting to turn the lights on and off (say if you fall sleep early on the couch or something).

On top of that, imagine how much you save over those many years at say 10watts a bulb? The cost in my opinion outweighs the saving in a heart beat, and you get all those gimmicks and control ability you never had before.

The only argument against these is warranty and defects. The story will be told on the warranty. For example, if it is not a 10 year warranty, no sense in getting them.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Regarding the NEST thermostat. They run $250 in US, but not yet available in the UK. Best invention ever, I have two installed in my house. 1 for main house and 1 for master.

Regarding switches and these lights. I am guessing that unless you rewire your house, the switch would over ride the App. I.e. if the switch is off, the lights won't have any power to connect to App and therefore cannot turn on either.

I am planning to buy these. Love these types of products. Now, when do we get flood R30 lights?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I've looked all over their website, http://www.meethue.com, and can't find ANYTHING that mention using the light bulbs with a switch as well as the app. Personally, I wouldn't base my decision to buy these on that assumption...

Please tell me you're kidding. They're light bulbs. That use electricity. From a socket. On a circuit. Which has an inline switch in it. OF COURSE THEY STILL WORK WITH THE SWITCHES.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Now even light bulbs can be status symbols!

Who really is going to change the color of the light bulbs in their house numerous times to numerous colors?

While it IS a cool idea, it's pretty pointless and there is no way I'd pay that kind of money for light bulbs, LED or not.

I plan on getting the starter pack and giving these lights a run through and see if the output is sufficient. If they are, I will buy more. I have all CFL bulbs inside lights that change their color. I have 2 lamps that have orange shades in my room and one in my den that is teal. The color of light plays a big role in how we relax, read, wind down, sleep and wake. It's not a gimmick. It's a fact. Go look it up. I can attest to it.

These are not for everyone, that's for sure. The ability to control my lights and color by an app is excellent. I will give it a try.

Exactly.

What is the point of such a lighting system other than entertainment/gimmickry? Can you imagine fumbling around for your iPad or iPhone to simply adjust the lighting when you really need it. Seems like the height of laziness to me, but to each their own. As for setting the timers, well, timers for lighting have existed for many years...

See above reply. It's not a gimmick. Who doesn't have their phone on them at all times anyways? Next to your bed, on the table, desk, coffee table, pocket, in your hand? Pretty much everyone I know.

Setting the mood of a room by light is an good thing and you should try it out sometime. It's like egyptian cotton sheets. :)

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I decided to do some calculations to see if LED is worth the cost. Assume that the bulb will be used for six hours every night, for a total of ~2200 hours per year. Prices taken from bulbscanada.

$0.55 for 60w incandescent, rated 6000 hours
$2.45 for 13w CFL, rated 6000 hours
$16.00 for 6.9w LED, rated 40000 hours

LED life is 18 years, meaning I would use 7 incandescents or CFL for every LED.

Purchase price over 18 years:
$3.85 incandescent
$17.15 CFL
$16 for LED

I pay 6.5 cents per kilowatt hour (we have "time of use" rates in Ontario, this is the off-peak rate), so the energy rates per year are:
$8.58 incandescent, $154.44 for 18 years
$1.86 CFL, $33.48 for 18 years
$0.99 LED, $17.76 for 18 years

Total cost of ownership for 18 years:
$158.29 incandescent
$77.58 CFL
$33.76 LED

Conclusion: you will pay $43.82 more over the life span of an LED bulb if you use CFL. Over the life span of these three bulbs, you would pay $131.46 to own and operate equivalent CFL bulbs. The Philips bulbs in the article have a $102 premium price. It is actually cheaper to buy these "expensive" Philips LED bulbs than any other bulb type!

coy-technocrat

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
New York, NY
just color temperature

I would like to be able to adjust color temperature in lightbulbs (I bet that wouldn't actually make them any cheaper)- I don't need green or purple lighting.. Most of my CFLs have a blue/white cast (or daylight spectrum) color to them, I don't like that, I know they are getting more varieties of CFL bulbs with warmer colors, but if I had money burning a whole in my pocket I'd get these just so I can get the same warm glow as incandescent bulbs and be able to dim them when I want.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Please tell me you're kidding. They're light bulbs. That use electricity. From a socket. On a circuit. Which has an inline switch in it. OF COURSE THEY STILL WORK WITH THE SWITCHES.

What he said. Unless the light bulbs have a way to physically rewire circuitry in the house, the light switches will override everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.