Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Right! Just like pricing killed the iPhones and iPads.

The iPhone with a contract is the same price as almost every "new" good smartphone out there. This is obviously a novelty item to have in your home (it would be great if you had a home theater or something like that) but the average person has no need to bust out the iPhone for dimmer lights.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

LIFX works better in my opinion. Each lightbulb has its own WiFi source so you don't need a WiFi controller like Philips. They're also going for as little as $69 for one bulb.

Controlling your mood is very closely related to your lighting environment. It's tightly built into our human DNA. This is a good investment beyond just being a cool gimmick to show visitors.

On the entertainment end, controlling the colour of the lights in the room according to the temperature in a movie will help immerse you into the experience. If you throw a party, your entire house's lights could beat to the music. Really great potential here.

Either with LIFX or Phillips, I'm on board with this idea.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Philips was faster than Apple.

Imagine if Apple invented this iBulb:

iPhone's white balance is always set do "daylight" for your convenience. If you need taking indoor pictures, you can buy our iBulbs and get the market's most precise color temperature control in your iPhone or iPad.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
LIFX works better in my opinion. Each lightbulb has its own WiFi source so you don't need a WiFi controller like Philips. They're also going for as little as $69 for one bulb.

Controlling your mood is very closely related to your lighting environment. It's tightly built into our human DNA. This is a good investment beyond just being a cool gimmick to show visitors.

On the entertainment end, controlling the colour of the lights in the room according to the temperature in a movie will help immerse you into the experience. If you throw a party, your entire house's lights could beat to the music. Really great potential here.

Either with LIFX or Phillips, I'm on board with this idea.

I agree, I can't wait to get these in my home, however I hope they evolve into the different light bulb styles. I have a lot of recessed lighting that uses in an indoor floor style bulb.

Mr X

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
London, UK
Even more expensive in the UK at £179 but I like the idea and I would give it a go. Same with NEST once or if it arrives.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
You guys all can hate, and talk about how over priced they are, but I want it. I'll pay that for lighting that can be put on a sleep timer, adjusted to a color I select from a picture or color picker. I'll take 1 kit please.

Exactly. Ignore the Haters. Simply angry over not being able to be the person they want to be. Very common.

I could barely move in my Apple Store Sunday. What were people buying?

Accessories, accessories, accessories. Mostly Lighting to 30 pin. #29-$39 a pop.
Could barely keep the wall filled.

It was wonderful. :apple:

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012

iPhone's white balance is always set do "daylight" for your convenience. If you need taking indoor pictures, you can buy our iBulbs and get the market's most precise color temperature control in your iPhone or iPad.

Hmmm, imagine if these bulbs were available in a "hot light" for photography/video....

denmarkguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Well, I prefer to buy some more LED halogen lights on Amazon and send saved money to charity. 200 bucks for 3 bulbs is too much for me.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
"Philips has announced a new iOS-controlled LED lighting system that tricks users to waste their money. The company believes it can sucker people to pay for their overpriced bulbs and make people believe its only for those who are high status". This was quoted by an anonymous Philips spokesperson.

Last edited:

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Insanely cool, even at that price...those bulbs better last forever though or I'll want my money back.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I don't think these bulbs are all that out of line with what I'm paying at my local Lowes. For example, this summer while getting the siding on my house replaced, I had the workmen replace all the outdoor lighting on the second story of my house with LED floods rated at 50,000 hours or 46 years. That rating is based on 3 hours usage a day...which is waaaaay more than they're used. I paid about $50 per bulb and replaced 10 bulbs but you know what, changing a second story light is a PITA and aside from the energy savings, I'll never have to change these bulbs for as long as I live in the house.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Minutes after seeing this, I decided to buy the introductory pack. I think this is a really big deal, especially with the iOS component. I was about to buy a set of LED bulbs to light my home so the timing is perfect--can't wait to install these in my TV/media room, to try them out. Dimming them from the couch, plus the color-matching, had me sold.

When I opened this thread, I was stunned by many of the negative comments. To the people who posted them, here is my statement: "You not wanting a product does not equate to others not wanting the product. Yes, they're fairly expensive (as are all decent LED lights bought from a reputable source--see Michael73's post above mine), but they will sell like hotcakes to those who can afford them. Next time, if you're not impressed or interested in a new product, don't waste our time and yours with your miserable snark."

Hyperbole, perhaps, but this is a remarkable product from my perspective and the automatic gainsaying by some of you, not just in the this thread but many others also, is getting extremely tedious. Reasoned and respectful arguments are fine; useless negativity is not, and it tarnishes this forum.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No offence, but you'd have to have so much money you use it to wipe your arse to be willing to shell out $59 per bulb, just for the ability to control it from your phone.

Plus, it's been done already, but a LOT cheaper. If you want iOS controlled lights - seriously, do the research first. There are LOTS of options.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota

I wonder if Apple had some involvement with these light bulbs, as they're only available at Apple stores.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I wonder if this programmable with a proximity sensor to your iphone's location. Would like to walk into a room and while I'm in there my iphone keeps the lights on and when I walk out the lights turn off. Yes, there's motion detectors already, but they suck as they turn off without large amounts of movement, ie. while I'm reading a book or just watching TV.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No offence, but you'd have to have so much money you use it to wipe your arse to be willing to shell out $59 per bulb, just for the ability to control it from your phone.

Plus, it's been done already, but a LOT cheaper. If you want iOS controlled lights - seriously, do the research first. There are LOTS of options.

I am willing and able to buy them :), being in a loft I don't have a ton of lights.

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Weird math?!?!

Hey I want the bulbs, I like the idea, but the pricing confuses me.

Three bulbs costs $199 but after that its $59 a bulb. However, if I multiplied $59 times 3, I get $177. So what am I getting for that additional $22 they're charging for three??

Thanks
Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.