Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SydneyJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
help? first time with itunes, when I try to check for updates for m iphone I get this message, also I can not visit the itunes store because it seems as if itunes cant find its server

anyone?:confused:

SydneyJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
found a solution:

control panel
internet options
Connections tab
Click LAN Settings
uncheck "use a proxy server"

hopefully anyone else who encounters this problem just checks here

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Edit your hosts file. You've edited it before. This only happens when you've previously tried to run your own update server for Tiny Umbrella.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Edit your hosts file. You've edited it before. This only happens when you've previously tried to run your own update server for Tiny Umbrella.

+1

Ran into this problem also. Luckily, I use Time Machine to restore the "hosts" file.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

WiiDSmoker said:

What is "Tiny Umbrella"?
sorry.gif

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have absolutely no clue what you just said

Do you have a Mac or a PC?

If you have a Mac, in Finder got to...

Mac/private/etc

Look for the file named "hosts" and open the file with TextEdit

The very last line should read "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com"

If it does not, change that line to read "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com"

It's basically the same with a PC, I just don't know were the "hosts" file is on a PC.

Researcher

macrumors newbie
Do you have a Mac or a PC?

If you have a Mac, in Finder got to...

Mac/private/etc

Look for the file named "hosts" and open the file with TextEdit

The very last line should read "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com"

If it does not, change that line to read "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com"

It's basically the same with a PC, I just don't know were the "hosts" file is on a PC.

thanks! this post saved my life! cheers mate!

kmmetca07

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
My iphone would not connect to Itunes and would not update saying that the iphone software update server could not be contacted. After trying EVERY single solution recommended on all these different sites I came across sometime so simple. My computer date and time was incorrect and once I changed it everything worked perfect. So frustrating that I tried everything under the sun for 4 hours and have it be something so simple to fix. But glad I got it figured out. Maybe this will save some of you a little bit of time..:)

JimJohnson

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
My iphone would not connect to Itunes and would not update saying that the iphone software update server could not be contacted. After trying EVERY single solution recommended on all these different sites I came across sometime so simple. My computer date and time was incorrect and once I changed it everything worked perfect. So frustrating that I tried everything under the sun for 4 hours and have it be something so simple to fix. But glad I got it figured out. Maybe this will save some of you a little bit of time..:)

Thank you so much! This worked for me! FINALLY!!! Lol I still can't believe the solution was that simple after everything I tried. Just goes to show you anything is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.