Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Just announced how does Google do it at such a price?

Nexus 10: Powerful and shareable
Nexus 10 is the ultimate tablet for watching movies or reading magazines. We wanted to build a premium entertainment device, so we partnered with Samsung to do just that. Nexus 10 is the highest resolution tablet on the planet at 2560-by-1600 (300ppi), that's over 4 million pixels right in your hands. It comes with a powerful battery that will get you up to nine hours of video playback and more than 500 hours of standby time.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Simple: the tabled is manufactured by Samsung, and Samsung is the current world hardware leader in respect to display technology. I doubt Apple was able to secure a good contract on Samsung's panels after all the lawsuits. Appel is in a big pinch because of this actually, this means no affordable, superior Samsung panels in their future products. Its also (IMO, of course) the reason why the rMBP 13" is so expensive - other manufacturers are simply not able to build such a panel with a high yield rate.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Got a link?

Besides, you can't just compare the price of the rMBP to a tablet. If you want to compare the cost of the displays, they're probably $100-$150 (totally guess, but sounds vaguely familiar) when ordered in large quantities.

Samsung and Google are buddies, so they're definitely working some type of deal. But it's also possible Google is selling the tablet at a loss to gain a fan base.

EDIT - and the actual cost of a rMBP isn't $1700. It's probably more like $1190 before Apple's 30% margins (margins probably higher actually)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
My this is an intelligent thread.

I can also compare things intelligently.

I'll try:

Do you know that my BMW 328 is better than my 3 year old son's little red wagon? It is. It drives on the road an stuff. It even has a horn..HONK HONK

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My this is an intelligent thread.

I can also compare things intelligently.

I'll try:

Do you know that my BMW 328 is better than my 3 year old son's little red wagon? It is. It drives on the road an stuff. It even has a horn..HONK HONK

The kindergarden is that way :confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
"2560x1600 : Apple $1700 ... Google $399"

Rather a silly and superficial comparison to be honest.

You should compare Nexus 10 to iPad 3/4 and not a laptop computer whose overall price is made up of more expensive components than a mere tablet.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
It is only dual core and Wifi only. No sale
It's a duel core Exynos 5 A15 chip, which despite being only duel core it destroys all current quad core chipsets currently avaliable in performance.

More cores doesn't mean better.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
This is a bizarre comparison? You can't compare two totally different devices' screens unless you know the cost per component - which you/we don't.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
It is only dual core and Wifi only. No sale

This site makes me chuckle! How many people came out saying "Specs mean nothing" when the iPad mini was announced, now Google has made an announcement, specs mean everything!

Cant have it all ways! Plus it does have WiFi :)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
what iPad costs $1700? And if you are comparing it to an Apple laptop then thats just plain silly.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Thats not a bad price, would have been better compared to an iPad instead of a MacBook

£50 more than the iPad Mini, need to find a spare £300 though

DreamSTi

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Twin Cities
I've never had good luck with any Android/Samsung products. The quality of parts and over all fit and finish doesn't compare to Apple IMO.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
The major selling feature of both devices is the 2560x1600 screen.

Google seems able to price the higher resolution screen device at the same cost as other 1280x800 tablets.

Apple did the same with the iPad 3/4, same price as iPad 2 was.

Why not with the Retina Macbook Pro?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The major selling feature of both devices is the 2560x1600 screen.

Google seems able to price the higher resolution screen device at the same cost as other 1280x800 tablets.

Apple did the same with the iPad 3/4, same price as iPad 2 was.

Why not with the Retina Macbook Pro?

Then you need to compare Retina Macbook Pro against standard Macbook Pro and not a tablet.

In that instance

The 13" macbook is $1199
The 13" macbook pro is $1699

However it comes with a totally redesigned body which is lighter and slimmer, has a SSD as standard and twice as much memory as standard (8 versus 4) alongside the more expensive display technology.

So the $500 difference has to take into account those additional changes and more expensive components and not just screen alone.

But either way, it was still foolish to compare laptop to a tablet pricing period...

Last edited:

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Just announced how does Google do it at such a price?

Nexus 10: Powerful and shareable
Nexus 10 is the ultimate tablet for watching movies or reading magazines. We wanted to build a premium entertainment device, so we partnered with Samsung to do just that. Nexus 10 is the highest resolution tablet on the planet at 2560-by-1600 (300ppi), that's over 4 million pixels right in your hands. It comes with a powerful battery that will get you up to nine hours of video playback and more than 500 hours of standby time.

How is it $1700 at apple? Are you forgetting the $499 ipad?

If you're comparing a retina MacBook Pro to a cheap nexus tablet, this is truly nothing more than a trolling thread. Not surprised.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What the hell OP.

A rMBP runs on x86 hardware, has a MUCH more powerful CPU/GPU, 4x the amount of faster RAM, 8x the amount of faster flash, a backlit keyboard, much more advanced I/O, an aluminum casing, bigger battery and it comes with an actual computer OS...

The Nexus 10 is great and all, but your thread is more sensationalistic than a headline on Gizmodo.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
What the hell OP.

A rMBP runs on x86 hardware, has a MUCH more powerful CPU/GPU, 4x the amount of faster RAM, 8x the amount of faster flash, a backlit keyboard, much more advanced I/O, an aluminum casing and it comes with an actual computer OS...

The Nexus 10 is great and all, but your thread is more sensationalistic than a headline on Gizmodo.
The rMBP has a good GPU?

lulwut

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
He didn't say good, he said much more powerful.

That's fact regardless of whether you think the HD4000 is naff or not.
I was merely pointing out that it doesn't matter how much juice you pump into the GPU, it won't make it any less crap than it already is.

Also, as the Nexus 10's GPU can power the insanely high resolution screen, I'd be willing to bet the GPU in the Nexus 10 will give the rMBP's GPU a run for its money.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
What the hell OP.

Thank-you.

Never suggested they were the same device, just wanted to note the difference in cost to upgrade to a high density display. It seems free for the iPad and Nexus 10 but not with the retina Macbook Pro.

----------

How is it $1700 at apple? Are you forgetting the $499 ipad?

If you're comparing a retina MacBook Pro to a cheap nexus tablet, this is truly nothing more than a trolling thread. Not surprised.

No just noting 2 devices with 2560x1600 screens and their cost.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Don't compare a tablet to a laptop.

And Apple doesn't sell anything at near cost to try and bolster market share.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Its better known as 'price gouging' and in Apple speak, less means more, that more US$ for less in actually utility - still, the iToys are nice to look at, shame they made the iMac into a iToy, and as for not being able to add a optics, absolute rubbish - it was easy to do with a bit of creative milling/engineering of the AI case, instead Apple dropped the optics.

The only iMac now worth purchasing is the 27in total maxed out BTO option - only US$4,000 buy them when you can before they too get RAM soldered into them in the next revision - can't have users paying for cheap RAM can we when Apple can make a mark up of 400% on its RAM sales and thats before we get into SSD rip off territory - and as for a iMac 'Retina', we'll lets just make the iMac 27in a US$10,000 job - perhaps even paint it in gold!!!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.