Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
But Rovio likes to rule the charts with as many titles in the top list as they can because it makes them look more awesome and get more sales etc. It's rather gross.

Gross to see a business making money instead of handily giving away their stuff? I think your comments are gross. Free markets, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

I applaud Rovio and will continue to do so until there's a reason not to.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am currently enjoying Bad Piggies... I am pretty burnt out on Angry Birds, but I think I will have to purchase this one, that looked pretty sweet.

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
jump_the_shark.jpg

Heh, thanks. If I was at home or had Photoshop on this work computer I'd have made an image with an Angry Bird jumping. Someone else is welcome to do so :)

qL7fo.jpg

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I'm one of the 10 people on this planet that doesn't own any Angry Birds game and I sure as hell am not starting now lol.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container". The HD version will be once again more expensive than the iPhone version. For some reason, even though it's the same effin' game, you'll be forced to pay twice...

Yeah, what's the saying? Milk it, baby, milk it...

Apple should take measures against this "iPhone app" and "HD app" business.

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container". The HD version will be once again more expensive than the iPhone version. For some reason, even though it's the same effin' game, you'll be forced to pay twice...

Yeah, what's the saying? Milk it, baby, milk it...

Apple should take measures against this "iPhone app" and "HD app" business.

Okay, so let's assume Apple does take measures. Then what?

Then Angry Birds would be $3.99 and universal. As opposed to $2.99 + $0.99 for the separate versions. So what's the difference?? :confused:

But of course, I'm sure you think the universal app should just be $0.99, right?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
so you are upset that they keep making games people want to buy?

No, I'm upset that I can't find games I want to buy. I played some of the first Angry Birds for a week or two, it was okay, and then I was done with it. I'd like it if I could find some more variety within the top game lists.

I'm also upset when I think about how feasible it is to make a successful iOS game without marketing it.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
It's not so much that they'll be forced to buy this game as other games will be pushed off of the charts, and so, for all intents and purposes, no longer be available on the app store.

As Rovio continues to release these expansions and bill them as new apps, they'll continue to clutter the top charts until there aren't other games available on the app store.

No, I'm upset that I can't find games I want to buy. I played some of the first Angry Birds for a week or two, it was okay, and then I was done with it. I'd like it if I could find some more variety within the top game lists.

I'm also upset when I think about how feasible it is to make a successful iOS game without marketing it.

Sorry, but it's not Rovio's responsibility to make the iTunes store's discoverability better. Although I tend to agree with you that it is something which could be improved.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
I love Angry Birds, but I do agree that we could use a little more variety in the games department and a better way to discover them. I think there is a huge barrier to games entering the app store ecosystem and doing well that are really played much better if they are not controlled with fingers on the screen.

I love fighting games, I don't really want to play them with my fingers on the screen. Same thing for shooters- I like to use the display to, you know, display things. Angry Birds is fine with touch controls because the act of touching the screen relates directly to the playability of the game itself, and I think that is part of its runaway success.

So why can't we get a case manufacturer to plug the gap and make a case that puts a cross on the left, a few buttons on the right, two triggers on the top or back, and essentially make the iPhone in to something that looks like the new NEO GEO portable?

I have seen the kick-starter iOS gamepad control systems and they are all crap- I want a case- a firm, nice case that actually allows you to use the phone without anymore compromise than a slight increase in size, and use it as a portable gaming device as well. I think this would break open the iOS game market to other genres of gaming besides ones that require touch as part of their playability.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Wow, now they are really cashing out.

I wonder how many games they can get away with?

Not sure I understand. Do you have a problem with a company making more money (i.e. their whole raison d'être), or do you have a problem with people enjoying the products they make? Or do you simply not enjoy series?

This game looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get my new iPad mini and buy this game to play on it. :p

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Not sure I understand. Do you have a problem with a company making more money (i.e. their whole raison d'être), or do you have a problem with people enjoying the products they make? Or do you simply not enjoy series?

This game looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get my new iPad mini and buy this game to play on it. :p

Man, it just hit me how awesome an iPad mini would be for gaming...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, now they are really cashing out.

I wonder how many games they can get away with?

I'm guessing the popularity has waned quite a lot since the first one. I doubt as many people would buy this as the first, but definitely enough to make it worthwhile developing. The Angry Birds franchise will stay reasonably popular for quite a while, however it may cannibalise on itself somewhat. There'll be many new iOS users who will buy Angry Birds Star Wars rather than the original version, so the same will simply come from the latest game rather than the original game.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Okay, so let's assume Apple does take measures. Then what?

Then Angry Birds would be $3.99 and universal. As opposed to $2.99 + $0.99 for the separate versions. So what's the difference?? :confused:

But of course, I'm sure you think the universal app should just be $0.99, right?

Even if the universal app was $3.99, I'd be glad that I don't have to have 2 separate apps. I'm just sick of all those HD versions. But on the other hand, this price would't be very good for rovio's business, sales would do down. So they would probably have to lower the price to like $1.99.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Didin't care for the space version too much .. but this one looks interesting, definitively worth a buck.

Hating on mainstream Angry Bird, has become way to mainstream ;-)

T.

angrybirds365

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and i have played every single version of Angry Birds on my iphone! I couldn't expect bigger news for this winter!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Gross to see a business making money instead of handily giving away their stuff? I think your comments are gross. Free markets, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

I applaud Rovio and will continue to do so until there's a reason not to.

App spamming, no matter the motives, is gross.

Course they will say that licensing forced them to make them separate apps for the movie tieins but there is no excuse for the rest

And now that Disney owns LucasFilm they will probably create Temple Run Star Wars so we can have another company App spamming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.