Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hopefully a big change for iOS. Felt so trapped in 960x540 resolution. Expect 720p minimum along with complete redesign of iPhone.

Say hello to widgets

I'm not opposed to people having the option - but I for one hope if they have to focus on something, they focus on something else.....something we won't see coming. I've never seen the benefit of widgets (and I've used my fair share of em). LiveTiles maybe.....but not widgets. Too much battery sucking to save one extra flick or swipe or tap.

haphadon

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
Wow wasn't expecting this.

Now sure what to think of it... Browett out is a good thing, but I'm not sure about Forstall leaving. Regardless, this should hopefully mean some much needed big changes happening in iOS 7.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Woohoo!

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Ive replacing Forstall as head of UI?

That's the best news to come out of Apple in years. Skeuomorphism has just been thrown under a bus, where it belongs.

Forstall deserves the sack over Maps.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
John Browett out = Awesome.

And from what I hear Scott Forstall is very abrasive with other people at Apple so probably best he goes too.

I have to admit this is very surprising!

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Sounds like change for the better. An ex-Dixons UK boss had no place at Apple. Presumably Forstall is going because of the Apple Maps debacle and to try and recover lost ground on iOS. Next year could be very interesting.

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
Very good move!!!

This is a great restructure and will be beneficial to Apple for the long run. John Ive will do amazing things and the other players are in their perfect area's of expertise. Very nice move Apple this is very promising!!:)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I'm guessing the only way they could keep Mansfield was to dump Forstall.

Browett cooked his goose with the horrible HR fiasco last Summer. Doesn't project the Apple image to hire / fire people in the same month.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
Look to me like Johnny Ive and Scott Forstall could no longer work together. Skeuomorphisms anyone?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Two biggest blunders this year (Maps and store employment issues) lead to two heads rolling. Glad to see the blame moved up to where it belongs.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I know everyone will say this, but this really is huge news.

John Browett was just hired as the head of Apple Retail, so to be out so quickly is obviously a sign something was seriously wrong.

Everyone saw the writing on the wall for Forstall. Internally, he is reviled as being far too open about his ambition and taking credit for other people's work. He is the fall guy, for better or worse, when it comes to the limitations and problems with Siri, and of course the Maps debacle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.