Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
This is great news. Ive is the spirit of the Apple I like. Weeding out the unfruitful and sticking to the successful core...

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Browett should be fired for maltreatment of employees. Apple is looking at MS as potential threat as MS may copy the retail model; and when that happens, an exodus from their retail op would be unavoidable. Ive's strengthening position can only be a plus. Forstall's impact is less clear to me. Let's hope what Jobs saw in Cook will bear some fruit in the near future since from the look of it, Cook shows no sign of innovation though he may be a great integrator.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I've heard Forstall referred to as a "mini Steve" in regards to his abrasive management style. I wonder if this has anything to do with his departure, especially since he reports directly to Cook until his departure. This could signal a bit more user control in future iOS releases.

Where to next? The MS win8 team?

Johnny Ive as interface designer? Will icons and on-screen controls "Blend seemlessly" into the user experience, as in disappear?

Dale

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Scott Forstall was the only one I actually enjoyed to watch after Steve Jobs. Shame.

I don't know about his work in the company so i can't comment on that part but i agree with you on the event side.

One thing we learned from the last media event is that Tim Cook is godawful as a presenter.

copete

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Big loss for Scott. Looks like he won’t be granted his 1,000,000 shares of Apple (half would have been granted in 2015, the other half in 2020 if he had stayed). He’s lossed out on $600,000,000. Big decision by Cook and the board.

On the other hand, I think everyone is pleased Browett is out.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Forestall had good stage presence, but they had he messed up both Siri and Maps AND went head-to-head with Ive.

Browett was a mistake to begin with, and part of the 'blame' should be on the person that hired him (Cook).

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
When John Browett was appointed there were many of us, especially from the UK who were the eye brow raisers. And so it came to pass.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
what is a human interface team? what does it do?

It's essentially everything to do with how you interact with the device you're using (design/function/those two combined) and how it reacts.

ie: Ive is overseeing what you look at on the screens and how it relates to the object you're holding.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Cue all the people that thought we didn't understand how business works when we wanted Browett to go...

<crickets>

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Cook realized he has to make changes. System software and Application software are two different skill sets. Forstall never should have lead Maps project.

I guess Mapsgate resulted in Forstall firing and Scuffgate resulted in Mansfield reassignment.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
iOS7/OS X 10.9 is probably pretty ambitious for people expecting to see an overhaul of the UI, unless Ive had a secret team at Apple already working on this. Guessing Apple’s recent acquisition of Particle has something to do with this and wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more acquisitions.

Regardless I am genuinely excited to see what Ive has in mind.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
This is great news...but CRAZY how quick the big wigs can just get up and leave/get fired.

How long is Ive guaranteed to be at Apple? Is he in a contract or something? lol

I never want Ive to leave...mostly as a stockholder and party as a consumer lol.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
How is Sir Jonathan Ives going to mill the new iOS interface out of a solid block of Aluminium?!?!

Or is going to melt our faces off with a new liquid metal interface?

Either way I will buy it!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have to give credit to Forstall for the beginnings of iOS but the man seems to have lost his desire to really improve. Plus his eyes just scared the crap out of me. He always seemed way to exciting about the smallest of details during an announcement.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
Maybe iOS can get some decent work done. I always felt (for the past few years) Forstall was just bored and uninspiring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.