Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Best news I've read all day, the retail guy just sucked, apple stores were becoming "just another chain" with that guy (yes I know they aren't franchises) but their service was slipping, let's hope it changes for the better.

Forstall loss is a shame, but hey if he likes releasing rough unpolished software that's not ready for the masses, maybe google will have him! God their mail client could use some work on the UI front.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
Let's not get too excited though...

"Craig Federighi will lead both iOS and OS X®. Apple has the most advanced mobile and desktop operating systems, and this move brings together the OS teams to make it even easier to deliver the best technology and user experience innovations to both platforms." That's not the greatest news on earth..

EDIT: Unless you like Mac OS X feeling like iOS...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
iOS7/OS X 10.9 is probably pretty ambitious for people expecting to see an overhaul of the UI, unless Ive had a secret team at Apple already working on this.

Indeed, Apple has undoubtedly already been working on both for months, and the tentpole features are probably already finalized. I would expect the Ive influences in 2014.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder what led to this.

Two possibilities regarding Forstall: 1) he was potentially a threat to Cook, since he was rumored to be a possible successor to Steve Jobs, and might well have been had Jobs lived a few more years. 2) Apple Maps was a big PR disaster, and it wasn't the first under Forstall's watch (Siri).

Browett's is less surprising, since it doesn't seem that he fit into the culture, and took some heat for the changes in retail. I would not be surprised if Ron Johnson is offered his old job back, since things aren't going so well at JC Penney.

The positive way of looking at this is that rumors of Tim Cook not sufficiently taking charge have been greatly exaggerated.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Goodbye, Browett ... don't let the door hit your Dixons/PC World arse on the way out. Good riddance, and thank God you're gone.

As for Forstall, I'm shocked but many here did predict the writing was on the wall after the disappointment that was iOS 6.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Wow, this is HUGE!

We may be seeing the most stylish UI in Apple history in the not-too-distant future.

I've felt for a while that, despite their different backgrounds, Ive was a natural for leading the "vision" part of Apple post-Jobs (Jobs trusted him implicitly)--a perfect match for Tim Cook's busimess acumen.

The future of Apple is looking sensational with Cook, Ive, Schiller, etc. at the helm.

(Not saying Forstall didn't do a good job, but I do wonder if he was losing interest a little, just based on iOS's recent trajectory.)

Last edited:

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Hopefully a big change for iOS. Felt so trapped in 960x640 resolution. Expect 720p minimum along with complete redesign of iPhone.

Say hello to widgets

Ive, like all good designers despises clutter... No chance for widgets. You will be lucky if there is an icon left on the home screen. ;)

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Fantastic News!!!!!

1) Jony Ive over all design (industrial and human interface) in "Steve Jobs" role
2) Mansfield stays in an expanded role
3) Recent hire of William Stasior from Amazon to help with Siri
4) Expand Eddy Cue's role regarding services
5) Good riddance to Scott Forstall and John Browett

I could not have asked for better news regarding Apple's executive team. Tim is cleaning house of the people that were holding things back and putting his good executives in the drivers seat.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Steve Jobs said it in his book

The difference of opinion between Forstall and Ive was only ever going to end one way.

The way how he setup Apple, no one, "no one" can ****** with Ive. So Mr. Forstall has been Forstalled. I think Ive has even said he is finding the UI crappy these days.

I can just see Ive singing and dancing in his lab right now and saying to his fellow teams, the ********* is leaving next year, good riddance!

Pock

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
I wrote Tim Cook an email a couple of months ago describing how it seemed to me that there were increasing inconsistencies between iOS apps.

You are all welcome.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
With this kind of shakeup, one has to wonder what the level of tension inside Apple has been over the past few months. I hope there isn't a bunch of bickering going on amongst the heads at Apple. This shakeup may look good on the surface, but its what's underneath the table I'm curious about.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Can we finally get a real file system that wasn't designed to annoy anyone who isn't a drooling retard? I'm guessing that Apple will move towards MSesque strategy of merging OSX and iOS, and I'm loving it!

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
My August 16 post

Attachments

• 8:16:jpg.jpg
    8:16:jpg.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,325

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Two possibilities regarding Forstall: 1) he was potentially a threat to Cook, since he was rumored to be a possible successor to Steve Jobs, and might well have been had Jobs lived a few more years. 2) Apple Maps was a big PR disaster, and it wasn't the first under Forstall's watch (Siri).

Browett's is less surprising, since it doesn't seem that he fit into the culture, and took some heat for the changes in retail. I would not be surprised if Ron Johnson is offered his old job back, since things aren't going so well at JC Penney.

The positive way of looking at this is that rumors of Tim Cook not sufficiently taking charge have been greatly exaggerated.

...or he just wanted a change?

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I can't imagine too many changes will occur in time for iOS7... especially since Forstall is still hanging around for a bit.

However, I was surprised at how pleased I was to see Forstall gone! Considering I'm just a geeky user - I guess I'm really hoping for significant change.

My wife recently mentioned how she was getting tired of the same look on her iPhone (had one since the 3G) and if she - a regular consumer - is bored, there must be a whole lot more bored-folk out there!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Indeed, Apple has undoubtedly already been working on both for months, and the tentpole features are probably already finalized. I would expect the Ive influences in 2014.

They might ditch the skeumorphism, since that was Jobs' and Forstall's idea. Ivy reportedly hates it. That kind of stuff can be changed quite easily.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
There's limited info, but when Ron Johnson left there was no successor announce... bad mistake. It probably/should have been one his most important duties is to get a successor before leaving.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

Forstall has been a moron for years. The guy lacks all notion of attention to detail and without Jobs around to cover him he is worthless. I'm sure once Tim started asking questions about what happened with Maps he discovered from Forstall's direct reports that people were aware of and wanted to fix the problems, but Forstall just kept reporting "all is well" to Cook. The folks they are putting in charge of software and design are going to do a much better job and they are loved by Apple's engineers.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Jony Ive designing the interface of iOS 7? Yes, please.

The combo with Forstall leaving should mark a sure death for faux-leather apps. Perhaps Cook didn't like them either, and strong wills caused too much of a rift?

Since Ive is against them too, and the move to leading Human Interface teams... Well, all this seem to point towards some direction like this.

The Maps fiasco could have been the final nail for him.

We can probably say goodbye to that Calendar app soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.