Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I don't really follow the league as a whole so I can't really comment on that trade, but...

I'm super pumped for the celtics this year. This team has the potential to be something special. I think this is the deepest and most talented team we've had since 2008. Should be a fun season :D

AndrewBrownNWA

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
I'm a diehard OKC fan and was totally shocked. At first I was super bummed, but the more I read about it, the more it seems like it was *possibly the right move to make. It's tough to break up a title contender, but I think they still are one. Having Kevin Martin come in along with Eric Maynor being back from injury and the development of PJIII makes me confident that this is still a really good team.

Houston gave up a lot to get Harden. I think a lot remains to be seen about how good/bad the trade was for both sides.

Man, I will miss that beard :(

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
With the season starting this week I figured I would get a thread going (I don't think one has been posted already)...

And to start off, what do you guys think about the trade that no one saw coming last night?

Harden traded to Rockets

Couldn't believe that one when I read it. OKC obviously knows something we don't either about Harden's signability long-term or something about his play going forward. I haven't seen Kevin Martin much, but he's supposed to be pretty good. We'll see. Bold move, either way.

And I'm excited about the Celtics this year. We have a deep, talented bench for the first time since 2008. Jeff Green is back and healthy, we got Courtney Lee for a steal, Jason Terry to replace Ray. Rondo is still the best PG in the NBA, and I'm really looking forward to how this new group responds. :D

Its+all+about+18.jpg

The Clippers should be fun to watch this season as well. I really wish they hadn't brought in Lamar Odom, but I was glad about the Grant Hill signing. They have a good starting 5, we'll have to see how things unfold.

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
I know they couldn't keep him. He wouldn't sign their last ditch 54 Mil deal that they offered. They got a lot for him, but he was such a big piece of what they did last year. It's gonna hurt them all year when Westbrook got 2-20 and Durant is having one of his quiet 28 point nights that seem like he's done nothing but his points say otherwise. Harden was always there to keep them in it or score 20-25 to win them games.

Losing Harden will probably be the difference of losing to the Lakers this year.

Oh and season starts tomorrow so excited.

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Couldn't believe that one when I read it. OKC obviously knows something we don't either about Harden's signability long-term or something about his play going forward. I haven't seen Kevin Martin much, but he's supposed to be pretty good. We'll see. Bold move, either way.

BOO Celtics. ;)

I know they couldn't keep him. He wouldn't sign their last ditch 54 Mil deal that they offered. They got a lot for him, but he was such a big piece of what they did last year. It's gonna hurt them all year when Westbrook got 2-20 and Durant is having one of his quiet 28 point nights that seem like he's done nothing but his points say otherwise. Harden was always there to keep them in it or score 20-25 to win them games.

Losing Harden will probably be the difference of losing to the Lakers this year.

Oh and season starts tomorrow so excited.

It was definitely a financial thing for Harden. The Rockets were willing to offer him Max $$ and he was given a deadline by OKC to take or leave the extension they were offering him.

Morey has been trying to get a "name" for years and he was never able to pull off the big one. It's why they overpaid for Lin and why they are gambling on a max contract with Harden.

Martin was a decent scorer, but a HORRIBLE defender. He's so bad that he's a liability late in close games and they were benching him in an effort to tighten up at the end of games last season. Harden is 23 and he's proven he can play big time - we'll see how he handles being "The Guy". They gave up a lot to get him - but when you have the option to trade draft picks (AKA who knows what you'll get) for a young, proven player I can see how Morey jumped on it.

It's also worth noting there here in Houston the Astros and Rockets just moved to their own cable network. And with the season starting in 2 days, most cable providers aren't even carrying it. The Texans had a bye this weekend, so Houston is abuzz with Rockets talk today - which is rare during football season. I imagine this is going to be the nudge they needed to get that station to everyone now (because Lord knows nobody cares about the Astros).

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I think Harden and Lin make a dangerous backcourt. Both are guys that can collapse the paint and dish, both top 10 in points per isolation last year, both young guys that haven't reached their ceiling yet.

They gave up Kevin Martin, who sucks on D, and Lamb, who isn't NBA ready yet. Out of all the draft picks they gave away, the only one that mattered was the Raptors pick which is pretty much a guaranteed 2-14 lottery pick within the next few years.

Houston also got Aldrich in the trade for some depth at the 5 and because of Asik, Lin and Harden their D will be a lot better this year. Everyone thinks Houston is gonna be the last seed in the west, but I think they could be 5-8 playoff seed contenders if McHale can get their chemistry together.

Lakers fans are pretty happy about the OKC trade. Not so much about this stupid Princeton Offense experiment

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
It was definitely a financial thing for Harden. The Rockets were willing to offer him Max $$ and he was given a deadline by OKC to take or leave the extension they were offering him.

Morey has been trying to get a "name" for years and he was never able to pull off the big one. It's why they overpaid for Lin and why they are gambling on a max contract with Harden.

Martin was a decent scorer, but a HORRIBLE defender. He's so bad that he's a liability late in close games and they were benching him in an effort to tighten up at the end of games last season. Harden is 23 and he's proven he can play big time - we'll see how he handles being "The Guy". They gave up a lot to get him - but when you have the option to trade draft picks (AKA who knows what you'll get) for a young, proven player I can see how Morey jumped on it.

Interesting. Thanks for the Rockets insight, Texan. :D

Lakers fans are pretty happy about the OKC trade. Not so much about this stupid Princeton Offense experiment

Lakers fans have been even more obnoxious than usual lately. I am going to laugh so hard when they don't with the championship. Count me among those that don't think they're insta-Champs with the roster they have right now. Their bench stinks, per usual, and we all know Kobe Bryant has more miles on his knees than Jayden Jaymes, and he's still going to be expected to carry the lion's share of the scoring. Their coach also sucks in my opinion. In crunch time, they have Mike Brown drawing up the play. Anyway, I hate them. :p

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
Interesting. Thanks for the Rockets insight, Texan. :D

Lakers fans have been even more obnoxious than usual lately. I am going to laugh so hard when they don't with the championship. Count me among those that don't think they're insta-Champs with the roster they have right now. Their bench stinks, per usual, and we all know Kobe Bryant has more miles on his knees than Jayden Jaymes, and he's still going to be expected to carry the lion's share of the scoring. Their coach also sucks in my opinion. In crunch time, they have Mike Brown drawing up the play. Anyway, I hate them. :p

I like the Lakers and i'm gonna have to agree their bench still sucks. I can't stand Mike Brown, no idea why he was the best they could do after Phil Jackson.

But if anyone can spark Dwight Howard & Pau Gasol it's gotta be Steve
Nash.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I like the Lakers and i'm gonna have to agree their bench still sucks. I can't stand Mike Brown, no idea why he was the best they could do after Phil Jackson.

But if anyone can spark Dwight Howard & Pau Gasol it's gotta be Steve
Nash.

Mike Brown being Lakers coach makes me feel better about them not winning. Steve Nash is a definite upgrade over Steve Blake and whatever other spaghetti they threw at the wall last year, but they can still get bent. :p

For context, I'm a Boston Celtics fan living in LA, so I'm extra bitter because I have to deal with annoying Lakers fans everywhere. I'm sure you're a lovely person.

Last edited:

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
I live close enough to Detroit and have to deal with Pistons fans that still have hope. Oh and I had to deal with the Pistons sweeping the Lakers the year Kobe and Shaq decided to hate each other. We all have our crosses to bear.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Yeah I hate MB too and his post game interviews where the Lakers only score 70 points and he says they lost because of bad transition defense are a joke. A good coach can take a team, find the right system, and make them better than the sum of their parts - kinda like what Doug Collins did with the Sixers. MB gets a bunch of all stars and implements an offense that takes away everything they're good at.

Lakers and Clippers are in similar situations - stacked teams with crappy coaches.

AndrewBrownNWA

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Everyone thinks Houston is gonna be the last seed in the west, but I think they could be 5-8 playoff seed contenders if McHale can get their chemistry together.

I just don't see any way the Rockets make the playoffs. Harden is good, but not that good. The West is just so deep.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I'm a NBA fan, not just one team. I like Bucks, Celtics, Heat, Clippers, and my home Grizzlies.

I'm really a sports fanatic. No music in the car, just sports radio, even when I'm work sports radio blasting through the PC speakers.

I want to see how long the Knicks can keep this up.

Brown was the wrong guy for the Lakers from the beginning.

AndrewBrownNWA

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
So who do the Lakers bring in? I think bringing Phil back could be good, but if he installs the Triangle office, it's going to negate some of Nash's effectiveness.

Personally, I'm in favor of Jerry Sloan coming in and getting one last shot at the ring.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
So who do the Lakers bring in? I think bringing Phil back could be good, but if he installs the Triangle office, it's going to negate some of Nash's effectiveness.

Personally, I'm in favor of Jerry Sloan coming in and getting one last shot at the ring.

I'm in favor of them hiring Stan the man Van Gundy.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

The triangle would be fine. You can have Nash play the weakside and run pick and roll from the pinch post.

I'd rather have Phil Jackson than anyone else. D'Antoni is an offensive genius but he only knows one type of offense that makes the 3 non pnr guys play minor roles. McMillan can't handle egos. Stan Van Gundy is not coming for obvious reasons. Sloan I like too, maybe Shaw, but PJ I think would be the best replacement if they wanna win a ring before Nash and Kobe retire.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I really dont care who the Lakers bring in, because I dont think they are getting past OKC in the West, or the Heat in the East.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

Why do the Lakers even need a head coach. A team with that much talent should be able to run itself.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
One could argue that they have washed up talent, and a great center. Just saying...

The coach isn't causing the turn overs on the court. The coach isn't shooting 30%.

Just playing devils advocate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.