Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Well i got it and setting it up now. The model of the SSD says SM256E?

Different from my macbookpro 2012 which has the Samsung based 830?

----------

Different from my macbookpro 2012 which has the Samsung based 830? It is a samsung but which one? Probably 830 with updated firmware.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010

Different from my macbookpro 2012 which has the Samsung based 830?

----------

Different from my macbookpro 2012 which has the Samsung based 830? It is a samsung but which one? Probably 830 with updated firmware.

Some anandtech posts indicate this is indeed a Samsung - PM830...

BigMa

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Apple SSD SM256E denotes a Samsung 256GB drive? Can we conclude it is Samsung 830 SSD you got? Not 840, e.g.? :confused:

alexdd

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
same disk in MBA 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 1.18.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 1.18.09 AM.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 313

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Update:

It seems it is the same, which is a good thing. Geekbench is a little over 13000, same as retina with the i7 2.6.
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1217623

Speed of the SSD is very, very good.

This is one bad### little computer. Fast too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 7.45.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 7.45.57 PM.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 7.54.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 7.54.47 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 463
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 8.00.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 8.00.20 PM.png
    540.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Nice Black Magic test. That's what I'm looking for, without any futzing around. I ordered mine yesterday with the OEM 256 SSD. If I score like this, no regrets at all.

Canada01

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
I put together a mid Mac mini for $799. That includes the 1td hd. If I add a ssd that adds $300 to the price. But I never got back that say $100 for the hd. So as I see it apple ssd is $400. How is apple not screwing everyone. $400 for a ssd that can be had for under $170. It's like the ram who charges $300 for 16gb of ram? Apple does and they laugh at everyone all the way to the bank. Suckers. You save more adding a ssd yourself .

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I put together a mid Mac mini for $799. That includes the 1td hd. If I add a ssd that adds $300 to the price. But I never got back that say $100 for the hd. So as I see it apple ssd is $400. How is apple not screwing everyone. $400 for a ssd that can be had for under $170. It's like the ram who charges $300 for 16gb of ram? Apple does and they laugh at everyone all the way to the bank. Suckers. You save more adding a ssd yourself .

5400rpm laptop drives can be had for $70 and can be sold second hand for what $25 - $40? I bet Apple pays <$25 for these.... so by the letter of the law you are right, we are out the stock drive and are paying the $300 plus some extra penalty for giving them back the 1TB spinner... A worthwhile deal to some and not worth it for others... that's all...

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
There is no point trying to convince anyone here Canada01. I've tried.
People believe what they want, even if they are over paying.

Some people want the piece of mind of getting a drive catered towards them directly from Apple, for the extra cost. That is their prerogative.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

I built a 1tb raid0 ssd for about 700.

linked the how to build it and how to buy it. don't know if anybody did but myself.

it is very nice to use it. along with my 799 mid mac mini.

I also built a 256gb samsung ssd usb3 booter for 151.

not as fast but dirt cheap. people don't get it.

t-bolt and usb3 mean go aftermarket leave the internal drive alone for all ,but form rules over function people.

BTW I have a stand alone mini with an ssd in a form (no backup hdd) rules setup so there is a place for a form only setup.

My mid mini is function setup with a lot of stuff hanging on.

sponch

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Just let everybody decide on their own if they take the apple ssd or not. I took it because I'm really bad at doing those things on my own and don't want to risk destroying s.th. in my new mini.
That's it.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
So hopefully it's a 2.5" SATA Samsung 830, running custom Apple firmware...

I hope not, using a blade style disk is annyoing for upgrades. The same chip in a 2.5" SATA disk would be ok though.

I just posted my screen shots, and yes it is a Samsung 2.5 based SSD, based on the PM830. No worries.

----------

There is no point trying to convince anyone here Canada01. I've tried.
People believe what they want, even if they are over paying.

Some people want the piece of mind of getting a drive catered towards them directly from Apple, for the extra cost. That is their prerogative.

Everyone's situation is different. Everyone's needs are not the same. Everyones opinion is different as well. Some people think it is silly to put in your own drive because you are not saving alot of money and there isn't any benefit to them.

Some think it's crazy to get a drive off of apple because it's too expensive.

It's really that simple. I got the OEM upgrade for $260. I don't need or want the 1TB drive. You couldn't give me one. I use all SSD and have too many drives to count. I give them as stocking stuffers. :)

Nor do I want any hassles. No re-enableing trim after every update etc. Is $60 worth the extra problems associated with adding your own drive when there isn't any benefits other than monatary gains? To me it's not. To you it is.

Let every one do as they wish, there isn't really any right or wrong here. No convincing needed to be done. Just do what your situation dictates.

Thats it. :)

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
i'm thinking of buying a mini and putting in a non-oem ssd drive. i already put a samsung 830 in my macbook and used this tool to enable trim:

http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

after rebooting, the system profile/info now says that trim is enabled. took a total of 1 min, esp since rebooting on a ssd is so fast.

seems like this gives you trim + saves you $100+ (vs getting an apple drive) with no downsides?

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
i'm thinking of buying a mini and putting in a non-oem ssd drive. i already put a samsung 830 in my macbook and used this tool to enable trim:

http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

after rebooting, the system profile/info now says that trim is enabled. took a total of 1 min, esp since rebooting on a ssd is so fast.

seems like this gives you trim + saves you $100+ (vs getting an apple drive) with no downsides?

as far as I know you don't need TRIM for the Samsung SSD 830. It has its own garbage collection system. Got a 256 in my old 2008 MBP and is working perfectly without TRIM

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
as far as I know you don't need TRIM for the Samsung SSD 830. It has its own garbage collection system. Got a 256 in my old 2008 MBP and is working perfectly without TRIM

I think it is the Crucial SSD's that self cleaned. I think trim is needed on the Sammy's.

enroh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Hi everyone - interesting read...I am on the fence about installing my own Mushkin Chronos 120GB drive (which is easy enough to do for me) or going with OWC's drives, the Samsung 128GB SSD PM830 for about $120 w/shipping, or going with Apple's own upgrade to 256GB.

My concerns/question is this:

I only see confirmation about Apple's drives having what appears to be a custom firmware. What it does I have no idea and no clue as to who would.
I do not know if my Mushkin SSD, the 3rd party Samsung SSD or if OWC's SSD are capable of getting said firmware or at the very least support TRIM natively on OSX without having to resort to that TRIM kext I saw posted.
While I understand the concept of saving a dollar - without guarantees (which I cannot see getting) on using an aftermarket drive or GeekBench scores using OWC or Samsung SSD drives to compare to the Apple drive (which smokes it seems)

FWIW I am in Winnipeg, MB Canada and I can get the Corsair 16GB RAM kit for $75 before taxes and that part is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.
The drives (if I decided to buy another range from $100 to $200 depending on whether I want 128GB or 256GB - the 256 being $210 before shipping from NCIX for the Samsung so saving some (lets say the RAM upgrade cost to make the math simple) but I dont know if thats worth it to me for a drive I know little about when it comes to being installed in the new Mini...

I probably am in the same boat as a lot of people here where money really isnt an issue and we can afford the Apple pricing but do not want to pay the "Apple tax" - from an IT guy point of view I really do not want the "hassle" of troubleshooting an aftermarket drive if there is an issue with TRIM or speeds mot matching at least what the Apple drive does which would be my main concern.

So - all that being said, can anyone shed some light or point me to some banchmarks on the aftermarket drives in a Mac Mini? I have located the benchmarks on the drives themselves but thats not a true representation of the drive in the Mini IMO.

Thanks for reading...

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
Hi everyone - interesting read...I am on the fence about installing my own Mushkin Chronos 120GB drive (which is easy enough to do for me) or going with OWC's drives, the Samsung 128GB SSD PM830 for about $120 w/shipping, or going with Apple's own upgrade to 256GB.

My concerns/question is this:

I only see confirmation about Apple's drives having what appears to be a custom firmware. What it does I have no idea and no clue as to who would.
I do not know if my Mushkin SSD, the 3rd party Samsung SSD or if OWC's SSD are capable of getting said firmware or at the very least support TRIM natively on OSX without having to resort to that TRIM kext I saw posted.
While I understand the concept of saving a dollar - without guarantees (which I cannot see getting) on using an aftermarket drive or GeekBench scores using OWC or Samsung SSD drives to compare to the Apple drive (which smokes it seems)

FWIW I am in Winnipeg, MB Canada and I can get the Corsair 16GB RAM kit for $75 before taxes and that part is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.
The drives (if I decided to buy another range from $100 to $200 depending on whether I want 128GB or 256GB - the 256 being $210 before shipping from NCIX for the Samsung so saving some (lets say the RAM upgrade cost to make the math simple) but I dont know if thats worth it to me for a drive I know little about when it comes to being installed in the new Mini...

I probably am in the same boat as a lot of people here where money really isnt an issue and we can afford the Apple pricing but do not want to pay the "Apple tax" - from an IT guy point of view I really do not want the "hassle" of troubleshooting an aftermarket drive if there is an issue with TRIM or speeds mot matching at least what the Apple drive does which would be my main concern.

So - all that being said, can anyone shed some light or point me to some banchmarks on the aftermarket drives in a Mac Mini? I have located the benchmarks on the drives themselves but thats not a true representation of the drive in the Mini IMO.

Thanks for reading...

If you buy a decent, new SSD I seriously doubt that you will have any problems whatsoever (beyond normal bad hardware issues that can happen with ANY hardware and warranty issues). Tens of Thousands of people have added after market SSDs for years. On forums I see a lot of people wondering *IF* they will have problems with after market SSDs. I don't recall seeing anyone complain that they actually *DID* have problems, except for warranty problems if they needed to go back to Apple for unrelated issues.

As far a TRIM goes, as far as I can tell, people are suck in the past. Enabling TRIM is no longer a requirement. Many newer drives handle the cleanup without TRIM via their own garbage collection process. If I'm wrong on this some PLEASE correct me.

As far as benchmarks go, there are lots of sites that you can check, such as http://www.anandtech.com/tag/storage. One thing that I would point out though, people often put far too much value on write performance. I would point out 2 things: First, in normal settings, the majority of your IO is going to be read, not write. Second, write times for some drives are using compression. If you turn on file vault, none of you data is compressible and your write speed might be half of what you think that it is.

If you want to add an aftermarket drive then you will probably be fine, your only real risk is the one that comes from opening the case and swapping out parts.... Not the SSD itself.

This is all my opinion of course, and opinions are like *******s and elbows, everybody has at least one.

driveparty

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Russia / USA
No one is forgetting that. It is for all intents and purposes a bad choice. Why would you jeopordize your warranty and more importantly trim support, firmware updates, for a cheap HD? You paid 220 even worse.
In case you dont know, HDs are super cheap. Hardly a reason give up trim support, warranty, firmware updates for the hassle. It boggles my mind actually why someone would do this. What are you gaining? A cheap HD and $50 dollars or most likely less?

Who told you the warranty should void in case of DIY upgrade? I bought 3 different Macs since 2007, shipped 'em overseas (Russia), all been DIY-upgraded, replacing either RAM / HDD or both, never ran into warranty void troubles (needed some repairs regarding two machines, never been rejected by local Apple service providers).
By the way, the TRIM technology haven't been invented by Apple, no problems enable it on the MAC in case of it won't recognize your SSD as some supported one.

Add shipping and the tools to open your box, how much did you save? $50 if that?

Depends on tools you get. Eg., the second mini HDD kit costs ~$45 with shipping, including all the tools needed for such an installation. Shure you must have right angled hands, though :)))

The BTO option is almost the same price as the drive you just bought. Apple uses the same drive you just purchased.

Every time i did DIY upgrades, i bought RAM / HDD almost half the price of BTO options, both better than BTO installed ones (7200RPM WD Caviar Black HDD / Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HDD end some SSDs, Corsair Vengeance RAM end etc.). Moreover, sold or used in other machines (non MACs) freed parts.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
As far a TRIM goes, as far as I can tell, people are suck in the past. Enabling TRIM is no longer a requirement. Many newer drives handle the cleanup without TRIM via their own garbage collection process. If I'm wrong on this some PLEASE correct me.

Three things to remember about SSDs.

Over-provisioning is to ensure wear-leveling and reduce write-amplification. Most consumer level SSDs are 7% over-provisioned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning

TRIM is a MUST HAVE on every SSD. The TRIM command is how the OS tells the SSD 'i'm done with that, you can throw it away'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

Garbage Collection is a SSD firmware level routine that resets erased cells to a ready state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(SSD)#Garbage_collection

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts

For me the savings was 100 dollars. Samsung 830 ssd ($100 amazon sale) + OWC cable kit ($45) = $145 vs Apple charging $250. The sweat equity part was fun and I learned how to take the mac mini apart and put it back together again. To anyone who is a little handy do the fusion part yourself. You can chose a larger or faster sad for the same price (or less) than apple ($250) will charge you. Plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
Three things to remember about SSDs.

Over-provisioning is to ensure wear-leveling and reduce write-amplification. Most consumer level SSDs are 7% over-provisioned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning

TRIM is a MUST HAVE on every SSD. The TRIM command is how the OS tells the SSD 'i'm done with that, you can throw it away'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

Garbage Collection is a SSD firmware level routine that resets erased cells to a ready state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(SSD)#Garbage_collection

TRIM is NOT a must have. It depends on your SSD, if it has built in garbage collection and possibly other factors.

Quoting Wikipedia can be risky.

EDIT:
I should mention that I actually got my information by calling Crucial technical support (800-336-8915). I was told by Crucial that the 512 GB M4 has garbage collection enabled when installed on Mac OS X. The difference between TRIM and garbage collection is that TRIM can activate any time, garbage collection activates when the drive is idle. So I guess if you have 50 GB free on a m4 and you write 50 GB, immediately delete the 50 GB and immediately write another 50 GB then you might want TRIM. So for reasonable use, TRIM is not needed with the m4 under Mac OS X. That is from Crucial Tech support.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.