Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
My guess is he still has a non-compete in place that would prevent him from working in the same field for a direct competitor for a while. He'll probably do something more like Tony Fadell. Work on something completely different for a while like Nest.

B

"Non-competes" are illegal in California for public companies. Period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-compete_clause#California

California

Non-compete agreements are automatically void as a matter of law in California, except for a small set of specific situations expressly authorized by statute.[10]

They were outlawed by the original California Civil Code in 1872.[11]

Last edited:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Gossip continues even after high school?
I must say it's WAY more interesting with a multi-billion dollar company though lol.

DaveLG526

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
California
Forstall

If the not willing to sign the letter item is true, Forestall made the right decision to not sign it.

If he signs it then Cook has all he needs to fire him. In fact, if Cook actually asked him to sign such a letter, red flags must have went up in front of Forstall's eyes. He knew he was doomed.

This way he doesn't have the letter follow him around.

Cook will still have to explain this to the Board but its unlikely they will make any changes.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
This makes partial sense...........the maps thing was a mix up and im in the minority that believes that apple made the best call there.....but there isn't a reason Forstall would just willingly pack up and go that we are aware of.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Oh brother, what jekyll and hyde group....Championing Steve Jobs and the fantastic heights he took Apple and then complaining about the skeuomorphism which Steve pushed for....If it goes get ready for a really boring interface...That's part of the appeal of apple products to a wide range of customers.

Personally I like skeuomorphisms...

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
He certainly would have tried that. And then he would have apologised after it made things worse.

Just as happened with Antennagate.

Jobs never really apologized for Antennagate. He stated the problem then stated a solution (if you want free bumpers, then fine) in a very agitated manner.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Sorry, but the Maps issue is something to blame on a quality control process drive by the Project Managers, not a single person.

With Forstall's paycheque comes a certain responsibility, he was no Senior Vice President of iOS for nothing.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I wonder if they announced this all today because the US stock market is closed Monday and Tuesday due to the weather problems in New York?

I think in the end it was a straight choice for Tim Cook: Forstall or Ive? Tim needs to stamp his own authority on Apple before the whole management team disintegrates.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I'm not surprised that Forstal was let go. If he would have complied with the rest of the Executive team and stopped being so belligerent about iOS6 then he would probably still be there.

Ive and Scott both bumped heads on a regular basis over UI design, animations, colors, etc...

Yes I agree with Ive about some of the little retard animations that Scott loves in iOS6.

I already moved away from iPhone mainly due to Google Maps being taken off and the screen size of the iPhone 5 still being too small. I'm not going another 4 years with a small cell phone screen anymore.

If iPhone 6 or 7 has GS3 size screen all will be forgiven and I will come back to the iPhone. Scott you lack taste and are probably better off working on Android as a Google employee.

Game Center looks like crap.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't know what he was like as a person, so this isn't personal. But if was responsible for skeuomorphism, then I am glad to see him go if it means skeuomorphism goes with him.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
This might be the best thing ever to happen to Forstall. It will be interesting to see what he will do next. Im sure the guy has plenty of ideas. He has enough money (and could find backers) to do anything he wanted probably. Sometimes when you get "fired" it turns out to be a good thing and you get to try something new.

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
I don't know what he was like as a person, so this isn't personal. But if was responsible for skeuomorphism, then I am glad to see him go if it means skeuomorphism goes with him.

So by your logic Steve should have gone too for his approval of skeuomorphism?

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
We should all thank him for teaching us the word "skeuomorphism".

Thank you Scott!

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
We won't miss ya! :D

Sir Ive, we are all excited for what you'll have for us in iOS 7

This.

The idea that Jony Ive will be taking over interfaces will surely make iOS 7 something to behold. I firmly believe we'll see a departure from the static springboard, as well as from all of the skeuomorphism that everyone's so sick of.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Whhaaatt?:eek: you can't be serious. What makes you think Ive can do make a better ios? Did he have any background in that area?

He has a background in the kind of designing required for the top layer of the iOS hierarchy. I trust him to make good calls on the visual and feature aspects of devices.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007

He is also responsible for iOS in a big way. I dont think that one issue is enough to cheer about him leaving. Maps however....that was the problem.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I like Ive, and look forward to what he brings. If iCal was the future, I am glad he got forced out, plus his attitude according to reports was sub-par. iOS5 and iOS 6 have been not giant leaps....I want more, and I understand they want to limit what you can do, but they can incorporate some JB tweaks to make iOS6 flashier and better....not saying everything, just a few.

Bite SMS and toggles are the two i hope the most.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Bets that Jony will now begin doing in-person presentations at events?

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Now I'm not sure how much of this is true, but let's say it all is then I am glad to see him go. Though he does seem like a really nice guy and I always loved his keynotes. I however have been clinging to Snow Leopard due to all the poor design that has trickled in from iOS. Also iOS hasn't really evolved or taken very many daring leaps since the introduction of the app store. It's not a bad OS and is refined to the smallest details but I would like to see something new and bold.

The next few years for Apple are going to be a very interesting one, and it's not like Steve Jobs left them a master playbook for the next 20 years. Getting rid of people high up in the organization could lead to some terrible things or some amazing things. We'll just have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.