Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
How much input has Ive had in iOS UI in the past? I thought most of his experience was hardware. I think they are related but clearly not the same thing. You cant just make the UI thinner and lighter or unibody. I bet it does lead to a big refresh of the design and a lot of people have been asking for it.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Apple as a company has been an embarrassment lately.

What hogwash.

----------

How much input has Ive had in iOS UI in the past? I thought most of his experience was hardware. I think they are related but clearly not the same thing. You cant just make the UI thinner and lighter or unibody. I bet it does lead to a big refresh of the design and a lot of people have been asking for it.

But you can exhibit taste, which was, after all, what Steve brought.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My guess is he still has a non-compete in place that would prevent him from working in the same field for a direct competitor for a while. He'll probably do something more like Tony Fadell. Work on something completely different for a while like Nest.

B

Non-compete wont be an issue in California.

Non-disclosure, now that is a different story.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Oh brother, what jekyll and hyde group....Championing Steve Jobs and the fantastic heights he took Apple and then complaining about the skeuomorphism which Steve pushed for....If it goes get ready for a really boring interface...That's part of the appeal of apple products to a wide range of customers.

Personally I like skeuomorphisms...

People who like Apple products are not sheep who all have the same opinion.

And Steve Jobs was not a simple character who you just love or hate. He was much more interesting than that. He made some great decisions, and also some poor ones. But you can only avoid mistakes if you are not pushing very hard. Something you cannot accuse Steve Jobs of.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
"Non-competes" are illegal in California for public companies. Period.

As they should be in the entire country IF an employee is fired. If they go on their own then I have no issue with a non compete. It's ridiculous to expect someone to not get another job in their field of work after being fired.

I'm not surprised that Forstal was let go. If he would have complied with the rest of the Executive team and stopped being so belligerent about iOS6 then he would probably still be there.

Sweet you were in the board rooms and offices at apple? Man, that must be an awesome job! I figured that was the case because you're talking about the situation like you know what's going on. I do suspect you have no clue and are simply talking out your 4th point of contact but maybe I'm wrong.... am I?

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I actually liked his keynotes.

Besides from that, sure he had issues with the UI, but what about the code that us under the UI. Maybe they could keep him for the coding, and have Ive do the UI design? A waste of time was how the volume slider and time slider change reflection when the phone is moved.

He also seemed overly excited about small things too.

If anyone looked like they had a pole up their ass at keynotes, it was Forstall.
Always struck me as a self important jerk.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Steve sided with Scott. Steve supported skeuomorphism. If anything, Scott would still have his Job is Steve was here.

These both fall into the realm of older or aging guys. Icons like this were really designed as visual cues to lend some sense of familiarity and comfort to such a device. If their growth is really being driven by those under thirty, this kind of iconic representation has really lost much of its value.

"Non-competes" are illegal in California. Period.

Most people are unaware of that.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No one deserves to be kicked to the street when they have done so much.

I hope Scott lands well and ends up where he can be better appreciated.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This means less skeumorphisms for Apple products? Hell yeah!

Now hopefully Apple will give more thought to usability and technical excellency of their software, which has been somehow lacking lately.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I think few would argue that iOS has gotten a little stale over the past couple of years. Yes there are new innovations but visually it just looks a bit dull now. I can't wait to see what Jony Ive does with the design. It's bound to be visually stunning and head and shoulders above what anyone else is doing.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Skeumorphism receives too much criticism. There is nothing inherently wrong with this approach to design... it is the fact that iOS design is fragmented to such a degree that it is readily apparent that there are different creative current directing different sections/layers of the iOS.

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
I'm very curious to see where things go and what changes now that Forstall is gone. And who's going to do his keynote part at WWDC.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
The problem was iOS 6 was boring and brought nothing exciting compared to iOS5. iOS1-5 were all decent to great updates while iOS 6 might as well been iOS5.2 :( This was the problem and Forstall took the fall. Now some is certainly his fault but not all of it.

I'm sure Tim Cook sees the software and has some input/suggestions before it is released to the public. Unless he is very hands-off...

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Today I learned that there's a word for what I absolutely HATED about some computer UI design: Skeuomorphic. That this scourge can be identified by name, and that a large proponent of it at Apple has been fired, gives me great optimism about the future of Apple software.

Like most things, a tiny bit of it is OK (like having a little picture of a metronome in the metronome button in Logic), but it's gotten way out of hand (not so much in Logic though).

They would have to update it for that to happen.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I disagree. All good GUI designers have several concepts waiting in the wings.

I think we will see that in June. If not before.

disagree. probably a max of 6 months before internal betas go out? unlikely to have any major changes now. HI needs to start locking down the general feel.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Good bye. No more favoritism now. I like the shake up. Will get my 920 but hope the I6 will be something amazing (after the 5S in two years)

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Also, people need to understand product design from a realistic perspective. That is to say, no one person is a complete parent to a new design. Saying that Ivy is responsible for the design is great disservice to the numerous men and women that design the various Apple products and services.He does have a tremendous amount of say, but he is still a cog in a far larger design creation machine.

PsudoPowerPoint

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
San Diego CA, USA
Had a forum like MacRumors existed when Steve Jobs was forced out of Apple, what kind of comments would have been recorded?

Good luck Mr Forstall, this may be your chance to shine more brightly.

Last edited:

badmac78

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Atlanta
I guess we forgot about Antennagate & MobileMe

Siri and Maps not where they need to be... someone gets fired.
I'm pretty sure Steve fired several folks for similar behavior:
Antennagate ... Mark Papermaster fired
MobileMe ... Rob Schoeben fired

Why do people assume that Jobs wouldn't have fired Forestall for not 1 but 2 major fails? Skeumorphism wouldn't have saved him.

Stop guessing as to what Steve would do. Everyone b** that Siri and Maps was not performing and Apple just did something about it. Good work Timmy. Let's see what happens next.

#teamive #teamcook
:cool:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
NO #%^+{] WAY!

I thought for sure he was a lifer. Not a fan of his skeumorphic UI tendencies (hooray, more Ive on design!), but always figured he'd eventually mature to become CEO. Perhaps Tim Cook tried to use Apples Podcasts app on his iPad.

No such thing as job security anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.