Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paintersforms

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
I saw skeuomorphism as playing the foil to Apple's stripped-down and modern hardware design. Apple has always taken pains to make its products approachable-- even to give them personalities. Maybe it's a dinosaur (skeuomorphism), or just lame, but those in charge would do well not to sterilize the product. There's plenty of cold tech out there.

Last edited:

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ive's take on iOS UI design could be interesting. Methinks it could possibly take a step back towards the design feel of the original:

iphone-3g.jpg

It was plain, non-cluttered, and matched the hardware very well. It also lacked the customization available today.

I'm more curious to see who takes over OS X design; Forstall was a big player in the design of the Aqua interface.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I am definitely happy that John Browett left. But Forstall, not so much. Yes, I do hate the old fashioned calendar, but how do we know as the public that Forstall hadn't been part of more than just the design of those specific apps?

I feel like forcing someone out for doing a job that Steve Jobs wanted them to do is not something that Apple should do.

Just my thoughts...

LOL. Does this remind you of when the Apple board of directors voted to kick Steve Jobs out of the company he created and championed?

When Tim Cook was made CEO I was a little bit surprised as I suspected Forstall would be next in line and was the most Steve Jobs like. Steve Jobs was very abrasive but people didn't mind.

Are we seeing history repeat itself?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Skeumorphism is a good thing: It makes you appreciate good design ;)

A nice little 'Jobsian' touch.

As Senior Vice President of iOS Software, Scott Forstall has been a prominent public figure at Apple. He was originally recruited to NeXT, Inc. after college and came to Apple with Steve Jobs after Apple's acquisition of NeXT in 1996. He has been on stage numerous times during Apple keynotes to demo the latest iOS features. Forstall was even profiled as Apple's CEO-in-Waiting back in January. That article, however, was a not always flattering look at the executive who reportedly had many clashes with others at Apple.

DaringFireball's John Gruber believes that Forstall was forced out of Apple.
Inside Apple author Adam Lashinsky agrees with that sentiment and also cites the Apple Maps issue as a reason for his demise:

"I also heard that Forstall refused to sign the letter apologizing for the mapping fiasco, sealing his fate at Apple."

Lashinsky is referring to a public apology posted by Apple CEO Tim Cook about iOS 6's Maps. The Map app in iOS 6 replaced Google Maps with Apple's own proprietary solution. After a significant amount of criticism after iOS 6's launch, Cook wrote an open letter apologizing to customers about not meeting expectations.
Article Link: Scott Forstall Reportedly Forced Out of Apple

Always bad to see talent leaving APPLE. Maybe if SCOTT had swallowed his pride, and had publicly apologized for the MAPS disappointment, TC would have not been in such a hurry to purge him from the team. SCOTT could have taken a cue from BOB MANSFIELD, who publicly acknowledged that withdrawing from EPEAT was a mistake. http://www.apple.com/environment/letter-to-customers/ Letting the CEO do the 'dirty' work, is never a good thing.

Last edited:

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Ok, I'm not going to chime in and pretend I know what the **** I'm talking about.

Can someone explain to me the ****-ups Scott Forstall had and why I'm just now realizing that 95% of MacRumors is celebrating his leave like America celebrated Osama's death?

I fail to see where all this hate is coming from.

Thanks

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Also, people need to understand product design from a realistic perspective. That is to say, no one person is a complete parent to a new design. Saying that Ivy is responsible for the design is great disservice to the numerous men and women that design the various Apple products and services.He does have a tremendous amount of say, but he is still a cog in a far larger design creation machine.

I really think Apple is run differently. Sure Ive didnt come up with every idea but I get the impression Apple has a relatively lean design staff and that Ive is involved in every decision just as Steve was. Apple is different because the leadership generally are product and design people instead of traditional business types. Steve was involved in ridiculously small details and I think Ive is the same way.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
He is also responsible for iOS in a big way. I dont think that one issue is enough to cheer about him leaving. Maps however....that was the problem.

That is why I made the statement about it not being personal. I have no idea how much of what he did that was positive and how much was negative. But I see a major positive in the change in responsibility for UI going to Jony Ive.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
He has a background in the kind of designing required for the top layer of the iOS hierarchy. I trust him to make good calls on the visual and feature aspects of devices.

He is only good for hardware..not software. IMO, i don't believe he made lot of good calls in regards to design. Iphone 5 is okay, but ipads......

PsudoPowerPoint

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
San Diego CA, USA
Sorry, but the Maps issue is something to blame on a quality control process drive by the Project Managers, not a single person.

There should be quality control points in productions and reports.

If Forstall was in charge, he's the guy that gets to take credit if it succeeds, and the blame if it fails. Neither the public nor management would have lauded the quality control team for a success, so they shouldn't be blamed for the failure.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
No surprise to anyone in the UK that Browett turned out to be a dud, but I'm not so sure I'm thrilled about Ive taking over UI design. A great industrial designer does not (necessarily) a great user interface designer make.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
We all loved his keynotes we all thought he gonna be the next Steve jobs but iOS for 6 generations looks the same with a bit of a changes in the UI and it was a big let down for us as users.
It's not the maps its the springboard,lock screen and many more to do.

what iOS 6 brought to the iPad ? Clock ? 3D Maps ? VIP Mails ?

get mac most used features to the iOS ..

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
If the not willing to sign the letter item is true, Forestall made the right decision to not sign it.

If he signs it then Cook has all he needs to fire him. In fact, if Cook actually asked him to sign such a letter, red flags must have went up in front of Forstall's eyes. He knew he was doomed.

This way he doesn't have the letter follow him around.

Cook will still have to explain this to the Board but its unlikely they will make any changes.

Anyone know if any of Forstall's stock options were about to become eligible if he stayed around much longer?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Everyone, don't think Ives is automatically going to spin straw into gold. He might be able to design spectacular hardware but designing a UI is a whole different story.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I certainly hope Maps alone wasn’t a deciding factor. I just started using it, including turn-by-tun, and I like it a lot!

I haven’t seen any evidence that errors are more common that with Google Maps. Google Maps has plenty... they’re just somehow not the end of the world the way they are when it’s Apple.

And it sounds from Daring Fireball that he deserves some credit for the success of iOS 6—in which case, congratulations! Too bad things didn’t work out any longer.

I don’t hate the skeuomorphic stuff—and I don’t love it either. (Well, I kind of love GarageBand and I kind of hate Podcasts.)

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Does this mean no more leather-look calendar and address book?! Perhaps some sanity when it comes to dual monitors and full screen?! I might be almost excited!

I should add that Ive was not keen on the leather look. I wish I could find the interview in which he says that (in a roundabout, political sort of way).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.