Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Screen flaw. Not glue drying, not correct color, piss yellow is bad screen. Take it back.

Proteous

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Post Pics

Could you post a screenshot of your tint, and also of the blue and neon-green? I just picked up a white 32 IPhone 5. I am noticing this as well but it doesn't seem too bad... I would like to compare with the tints you are seeing.

On another note, any way to tell which particular panel we have in the phone, ie. a Sharp or LG etc?

I am quite disappointed that my whites look yellowish, my blue looks purpleish and my greens look lime neon greenish (ugh).

Will update in a couple days to see if it has improved.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I received my iPhone 5 by delivery this past Friday, Sept 28th after ordering it at 5am first day CST. I immediately slipped it into it's Otter case which I received the same day. Outside of maps everything is working fine except for a yellow tint I have over the screen. There is a big marked difference when I hold it up to my iPhone 4. I plan to visit the Apple store today regarding this. Has anyone else noticed this problem on your new phone?

url]

That's pretty ugly. Go to the store tomorrow and switch it out

----------

Screen flaw. Not glue drying, not correct color, piss yellow is bad screen. Take it back.

This^^

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
No way to get an Iphone5 with a blue tint screen. Seems as though they all are calibrated towards a more yellowish (warmer) color.

snipez

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
I am in exactly the same boat. I received my iPhone 5 on 9/28 as well and noticed a yellow tint immediately compared to my 4S. I gave it a couple days to see if it would improve over the weekend, but could not stand it anymore so I went to the Apple store yesterday.

It took a while for the Apple Genius to “see the yellow tint”, I am not sure if they’re pretending not to see it or what, but eventually the Genius had another Genius to come offer an opinion and eventually saw the yellow tint and offered me a replacement.

The replacement came out of a white box and I asked if they don’t mind me activating it to see if the yellow screen persists. What a surprise, the screen was yellow tinted as well. At this point the Genius was confused as to why all the ones in the Apple store were fine but these ones are yellow tinted, so they asked me to come back another day to see if the issue has improved. As I am almost an hour away from the Apple store, I asked the manager to try one more time. And what do you know, this new one is even worse tinted than the first replacement. At this point I am so disappointed, the Genius goes on to tell me that they won’t open anymore boxes because all of the new ones will be like this, apparently he says that the ones in the Apple store are on 24/7 so the screen has a chance to “burn in” or “cure the glue”. He then told me to give it a week, leaving it on maximum brightness on a white background overnight to see if it gets better.

I am quite disappointed that my whites look yellowish, my blue looks purpleish and my greens look lime neon greenish (ugh).

Will update in a couple days to see if it has improved.

Mine seems to be warmer. But do this. Put up a photo on your iPhone 5, next to a 4/4S and pictures look so much more colorful. I always thought it might be a defect, based on what I've read and heard. But anyone in graphics will tell you a warmer temp produces deeper photos, or something like that, lmao.

Pics look washed out on my iPhone4. And I don't mean taking photos, but just viewing them.

So I'm not really too concerned right now. Unless it was a 100% defect. Maybe the cooler color ones are the real defects. Hahah. Never had that argument yet. Who knows? Apple isn't saying anything other than glue. And we all know thats a BS story. They would rather just make people happy. Because it's why they are the biggest company in the world. The customer is ALWAYS right, lol.

Even if they see imaginary yellow like spot monsters. Devouring their screen. What? lol. Nevermind.

iPhone4YellowSpot.jpg

Last edited:

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
No way to get an Iphone5 with a blue tint screen. Seems as though they all are calibrated towards a more yellowish (warmer) color.

They're not. Apple uses different LCD manufacturers to meet worldwide demand. Some have the tint (the LGs I think), some don't. Every Apple genius I worked with at my Apple store confirmed this to me.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
They're not. Apple uses different LCD manufacturers to meet worldwide demand. Some have the tint (the LGs I think), some don't. Every Apple genius I worked with at my Apple store confirmed this to me.

I agree. It's like all LCD and plasma tv's. No 2 are alike. That's why calibrated settings on one tv will not work perfectly with another of the exact same model. In fact, most of the time they can be significantly different.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
it goes away after awhile.

trust me.

mine had this too. and now it looks more brilliant than my iPhone 4 which i thought the blue made it look good. boy was i wrong.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

trust me.

mine had this too. and now it looks more brilliant than my iPhone 4 which i thought the blue made it look good. boy was i wrong.

It doesn't, you just get used to it.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012

trust me.

After having my phone for 1.5 weeks I'm having trouble believing this....

----------

I agree. It's like all LCD and plasma tv's. No 2 are alike. That's why calibrated settings on one tv will not work perfectly with another of the exact same model. In fact, most of the time they can be significantly different.

It's a shame Apple doesn't let us change the display colors and calibrations in the settings to easily remedy this problem.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
I received my iPhone 5 by delivery this past Friday, Sept 28th after ordering it at 5am first day CST. I immediately slipped it into it's Otter case which I received the same day. Outside of maps everything is working fine except for a yellow tint I have over the screen. There is a big marked difference when I hold it up to my iPhone 4. I plan to visit the Apple store today regarding this. Has anyone else noticed this problem on your new phone?

url]

the one with "yellow tint" has better colors

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I have a 5 that is in the yellowish category. Whites are not as brilliant as my 4S. It can happen to any of the iPhones. Take it back if you don't like it.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Screens have been warmer since the 4S. I can attest to this. The iPhone 4 generally had a blue tone. When the 4S came out, many people noticed the warmer, yellow tint.

My iPhone 4S that I originally had, had a very yellow tint. Didn't really bother me.

After getting my 4S replaced a few weeks ago due to hardware issues, I got my new 4S at Apple, and IMMEDIATELY noticed the screen is super blue. Whites are whiter. It's night and day difference. I much prefer my new display over the original 4S I had.

So, it's really just the luck of the draw. You might get a cool screen, or a warm screen. It really depends on the factory/manufacture date.

I found a website that shows you detailed info about your iPhone if you type in the serial #. My original 4S was built at FoxConn in Dec 2011, my newest one (when I looked up the serial) says it was just made in China in Sept 2012, not at FoxConn however. It's weird too, because I thought I would have received a refurb when it got swapped at Apple, but I got a brand new 4S.

Last edited:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
eh it's hardly noticeable to me anyway, if it's gonna be warmer then so what lol dark blue or light blue doesn't matter to me

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

That should be obvious, yet in some circumstances, assuming uniformity across the display, it can become somewhat subjective. Things like differing native white points between device generations due to panel choices can really throw people off as they have the tendency to compare new and old devices. Most assume the device they've been using to be "correct", which further complicates the issue. Even if everything new hit the old semi - ubiquitous sRGB description, which is warmer than a lot of devices on the market today, whites shouldn't actually look yellow if viewed in isolation. I mean if you looked at it in a darkened room. If you painted a wall blue and put your phone in front of it, they'd all look somewhat yellow unless you were able to focus on the device.

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
I just received mines and I must say I am very disappointed. My phone is super yellowed especially since I'm coming from my back up iphone 4. Did anyone return theirs to their carrier's store or exchange it at apple?

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Super yellow? Please post comparison pics.

No iPhone 5 has been defective in this thread yet. I've seen a super blue iPhone 4 but that's it.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I have a 5 that is in the yellowish category. Whites are not as brilliant as my 4S. It can happen to any of the iPhones. Take it back if you don't like it.

You mean whites were not as blue as they were on the 4s. Anytime I have ever heard someone reference white as "brilliant" and even a screen as "brilliant", it is set to a cold (incorrect) color temp.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
My iPhone 4 on the left, 5 on the right.

Was extremely yellower tinted when I first got it. Now it's almost identical. Note the colors, they are much more intense on the 5 than they are on the 4.

The brightness is even MORE bright than the 4.

It does go away.

Brightness set to 100% on both phones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.