Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Found this out couple weeks ago. Double click then swipe twice to the right and there's a volume bar.

R9ka2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I know people have different priorities but come on, how long does it take to learn about your new iPhone, the new TV you just picked up, your new car you just bought ect ect?

I have had my phone for almost 4 days, though I discovered the NC yesterday, so I guess that is how long.. :rolleyes:

I did not start this thread to enlighten people on my new "new discovery" as you indicated in your first post. I just wanted to find out what it was called so I could locate it in Settings and customize it if possible and to see if there was any other cool features I might be missing.

Since you're so fond of reading, perhaps you should re-read my OP and some of the follow ups, as Caliber said, I upgraded from a first gen iphone which they stopped making updates for around 3.3... so for all intents and purposes the iP5 is whole new phone for me. I am also pretty sure there are at least a few other new adopters out there that may not know it all yet.

However I do understand some of your frustration, as a professional photographer I get a lot of questions from people about their cameras that would easily be answered by reading the manual. It's the first thing I do whenever I buy new, unfamiliar equipment. But as we all know, Apple does not include a detailed manual. I think my new toaster had more instructions included. If there is one available online somewhere, please point the way.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
However I do understand some of your frustration, as a professional photographer I get a lot of questions from people about their cameras that would easily be answered by reading the manual. It's the first thing I do whenever I buy new, unfamiliar equipment. But as we all know, Apple does not include a detailed manual. I think my new toaster had more instructions included. If there is one available online somewhere, please point the way.

Apple offers a free iPhone Users Guide (updated for iOS 6) both on iBooks and in PDF form. Download the guide through Apple's iBookstore [Direct Link] (must have iBooks downloaded on your iPhone or iPad) or as a direct PDF download to view/save on your computer.

And funny you should bring up photography and reading manuals. I just purchased my first DSLR (it's still on its way to me) and I've already scheduled a three-hour course, at a local photography shop, that'll teach me the camera's controls and features. I rather pay the $40 than read the manual. Knowing how I am, I'll get bored of reading a manual 15 minutes into it. :eek:

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I have had my phone for almost 4 days, though I discovered the NC yesterday, so I guess that is how long.. :rolleyes:

I did not start this thread to enlighten people on my new "new discovery" as you indicated in your first post. I just wanted to find out what it was called so I could locate it in Settings and customize it if possible and to see if there was any other cool features I might be missing.

Since you're so fond of reading, perhaps you should re-read my OP and some of the follow ups, as Caliber said, I upgraded from a first gen iphone which they stopped making updates for around 3.3... so for all intents and purposes the iP5 is whole new phone for me. I am also pretty sure there are at least a few other new adopters out there that may not know it all yet.

I did read your thread. I resonded..... I don't see why you wouldn't take 10 minutes to read up on iOS 6 when you got the phone. Apple loves to talk about themselves and their web site is filled with info about i5, iOS6, and all their other products. http://www.apple.com

This was not meant as sarcastic :)

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
You can remove the stock and weather widgets. That's about the limit of the customization for widgets. Some apps can also display notifications in this area and you can customize which ones can and can't.

Don't forget that if you're logged into iOS with Facebook or Twitter, you get widgets for posting to those sites.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Launch Safari from iPhone, click Bookmarks icon, scroll to the bottom, iPhone User Guide.

Or follow this link.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Very thorough documentation.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have no ideal if this is a new iP5 thing or if it's been around on other versions? Since this is my first upgrade sine I bought the 1st Gen i:apple:, it is new to me... and I found it by accident...! What is it called and can you customize it?

For those of you who have not discovered it, it pulls down as a curtain in front of your home screen. Just drag your finger from the top straight down.

Any other cool, hidden things I may have missed?

You can put many of your apps in the notification screen too...Go to settings>notifications. From there, you can customise thingsthe way you want them.:)

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I find a lot of people don't know this but if you double space after a word, it enters a period after the word.

So rather than spacing then clicking the "123" and ".", you just double space.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I find a lot of people don't know this but if you double space after a word, it enters a period after the word.

So rather than spacing then clicking the "123" and ".", you just double space.

It took a while for me to discover this (discovered here on this forum tbh) and now i use it all the time. I find myself double spacing on other keyboards as well but sadly it doesnot work :(.

I also like creating othe short cuts for phrases or words i type often.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It took a while for me to discover this (discovered here on this forum tbh) and now i use it all the time. I find myself double spacing on other keyboards as well but sadly it doesnot work :(.

You can create a double spacing by tapping the space bar with 2 fingers. And three spaces with 3 fingers. And four spaces with 4 fingers and...

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wouldn't it be easier just to hit the volume buttons on the side? :confused:

Not as fun though.

----------

A cool feature I often use is called "speak selection". Turn it on in settings>general>accessibility. When you're on a web page or email, select some text (a whole article or email if you want) then tap "speak" and it will read your selection to you. You can adjust the speed and even the language or accent.

Also the voice recognition is useful. Anytime you need to type something, a microphone appears on the keyboard. Tap the mic and speak. It is remarkably accurate.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Also the voice recognition is useful. Anytime you need to type something, a microphone appears on the keyboard. Tap the mic and speak. It is remarkably accurate.

----------

Dictation! Sir, you have changed my life! This is the best thing I have learned so far!

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Not sure how long this has been out but new for me.

Incoming call hit the power button and the ringer stops. double push / click it and it goes to voicemail.

I had the iPhone 4/4S and never knew the double push to v/m was available. :confused:

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal

Incoming call hit the power button and the ringer stops. double push / click it and it goes to voicemail.

I had the iPhone 4/4S and never knew the double push to v/m was available. :confused:

That has actually been around since my old 1st gen came out... it just shows that many functions, we take for granted and new adopters might miss because everyone assumes it is common knowledge or too obvious to mention.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
That has actually been around since my old 1st gen came out... it just shows that many functions, we take for granted and new adopters might miss because everyone assumes it is common knowledge or too obvious to mention.

I didn't know about the "Notifications centre" when I bought my 4s. I was without an iphone since the 3Gs. When I turned the 4s on, bam, the Notifications window came down

I tend to like digging around and seeing what I can do with my phone, same with my mac. I like to know about all the time saving features.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Well how bout that! I always just clicked once.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE

Please keep the thread on topic and following the rules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.