Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kobebryant24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Hi guys.

I recently dropped my iPad 3 and the screen completely cracked and both top corners got dented. I have gotten a replacement iPad, but I am traumatized now. I had on a Poetic case when the iPad hit the ground, which makes the damage even more disappointing. Can anyone suggest a nice case that has good corner coverage but isnt as bulky as the Otterbox? I would prefer a case that has some sort of mechanism to keep itself propped up. Thanks in advance for the help! :)

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Otterbox. A co-worker of mine has one and it looks very rugged. It props up the iPad landscape style. I've been thinking about getting one, but like to use my iPad as a "Kindle". The Otterbox looks protective, but with that comes weight I think.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^

This. Fact is, that if you really want the kind of protection that will withstand a fall then the defender range is the only one I'd recommend. Yes, it's bulky, in fact it's ugly, but it does the job. I had one on my 4S, but decided it was overkill for me so passed it on to a buddy. He uses it a lot as he travels regularly long distance. It's saved his phone on more than one occasion too. The ipad defender will protect your device, but it is bulky. I can't think of another sturdier case on the market today.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
^^

This. Fact is, that if you really want the kind of protection that will withstand a fall then the defender range is the only one I'd recommend. Yes, it's bulky, in fact it's ugly, but it does the job. I had one on my 4S, but decided it was overkill for me so passed it on to a buddy. He uses it a lot as he travels regularly long distance. It's saved his phone on more than one occasion too. The ipad defender will protect your device, but it is bulky. I can't think of another sturdier case on the market today.

This ^^^ sorry op, its just what it is if you want that kinda protection sir.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Maroo

Maroo has great corner protection and comes in a variety of styles and colors--from business-like leather to bleeding edge designs. I also dropped, dented, shattered my first iPad. That's why I went with Maroo. Check out their videos including shooting the iPad in a Maroo case with a giant slingshot. Looks like they just got a bunch of new colors/designs in. My wife has Maroo, I have two--one more business like and one more fun--my daughter and her husband have Maroo, and my granddaughter has one for her Kindle Fire.

blazah

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
I had the Otterbox Defender for awhile. It is a great case for drop protection. But, I did not like the back side grip.

Currently, the Droptech Gumdrop is on my iPad. I prefer this to the Defender. It provides good drop protection and an excellent back side grip. The back side is like tire tread. I trust it with my toddler. One negative is Gumdrop does not include a stand like the Defender.

Mother'sDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
My ipad3 has survived multiple falls in my Maroo. I like it enough I ordered another for my teen daughter's new ipad, and we know how rough kids are! I love the stand, the silicon corners, the interior pocket, the microfiber, everything about it. I originally bought another, more typical protective cover (Droptech Gumdrop) and I just didn't want that kind of added bulk and intrusion. With the Maroo I'm plenty safe, but my ipad is still pleasant to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.