Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Doesn't it make more sense to stagger your releases throughout the year so consumers don't feel taxed by purchasing multiple products? For instance, if I already ordered an iphone in Sep, I might hesitate about blowing a few more hundred a month later. What's there left that could be announced in March?

I don't have any numbers but I would guess the majority of people get their iPhones subsidizes every two years. Doesn't seem to be a show stopper. The only people really mad should be students who will get their new old iPad for university/school, while the new new iPad is released just a month later.
University here in Berlin started on the 15th of October and all my friends had a new iPad then...as a macrumors reeder I knew I should wait...just placed my order for the iPad mini 3G and laughed at all the students who really got screwed over ;-)

CountBoni

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
London, UK
The A5 wasn't exactly new when it came to the iPad. It just got a graphics update to handle the new resolution.

I hope fall updates become the new "cycle." It's better for consumers because all the iPads bought for the holidays won't become obsolete in three months.

I've been following apple for many years and I'm damn sure that autumn (fall for the USA) will be the new cycle in preparations for the holidays quarter, they had to do it at some point so they took their chances right now alongside the launch of the iPad Mini. This is a year of adjustments for Apple, they will get back on track next year ;)

FirePhantom

macrumors member
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

The clock speed means nothing. We're at a point with ARM CPUs similar to where we were about a decade ago with x86 CPUs. Intel was pushing up the clock speeds while AMD was fine-tuning their architecture, and coming out on top by increasing performance without raising clock speeds (and overheating their CPUs). Apple is like AMD — they're working hard on the architecture. All the Android tablet- and phone-makers are simply using stock ARM CPUs and bumping up the clock speeds and numbers of cores.

And guess what? As we've seen with iPhone 5 benchmarks, the former is clearly the better route.

You should read AnandTech; very insightful articles and reviews.

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Bought an ipad 3 then ipad 4 came out 7 days later. Boxed up returned to Apple for refund, ordered ipad 4. I wasn't going to bother as I thought they would just update the lightning connector. This new chip seems worth the effort and wait though. Very happy reading this ;)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I am definitely noticing stuttering with my iPad 3, now.

With this new processor the "new, new" iPad will be so smooth.

Now really contemplating selling my "new" iPad to get one of these ...

Yeah I've noticed that as well (not especially lately but ever since I've had my iPad 3).. Pretty stuttery scrolling sometimes, as if it's still scrolling a 1024x768 pixel grid. I think it's still rendering content in a background thread because if I wait a bit after loading a webpage it scrolls smoothly.

Nevertheless the cost of upselling is just too high. I'd say I'd lose at least 200 bucks selling my 3. And the benefits too low, I would love a thinner/lighter one but that never emerged. I'll wait for the next redesign.

It also helps me in some way to have a slower iPad, I develop apps as well and if I can get something to run well on my iPad 3 I know it will run super on the 4. The other way around is a lot harder to gauge.

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
All this power and no multitasking? I want to throw my iPad every time I have a need to multitask. Simple things like taking notes while on videoconference. Isn't this the postpc era? I'd like to get some real work done on a tablet. Hope the guy replacing Scott Forstall gets multitasking into the next iOS or I'll be switching.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!!
Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....

My guess is we will see new model ipad mini in fall with an update in spring and new model iPads in spring with an update in fall.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Still waiting for iPad Pro without the weaksauce ARM processor and phone OS.:cool:

So you can run all those legacy applications and bloated crapware? Oh, wait, that's what another company did. ;)

On a serious note, however, it'll be interesting to see what happens to OS X and iOS with those divisions now under the same person at Apple. Seems like a good time to start to bringing them more closely together (whatever that might mean).

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

Just because it has a faster processor, more memory, and higher resolution doesn't mean it's better. Faster processor and memory get eaten up by the bloated OS and apps... Higher resolution screen probably isn't calibrated as well and you can't even see the pixels on the ipad retina as is.

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Cute fire starter, but as you are suggesting not one of those factors was important when my seven year old Nephew wanted an iPad. The iPad had the Harry Potter game and the Android Tablet I bought my sister did not. In this day and age, faster is better, but only if it improves the experience. Oh, and they Apps your Nephew wants are available!!!!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Finally-iPad4 Gets Some Respect

I thought like Rodney Dangerfield, the iPad4 was getting no respect. I'll be at my local Apple Store when it is released. Unfortunately now there will be a line now to see it ;)

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
How nice that the brand new iPad mini would immediately slide into the bottom of that chart.

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
All this power and no multitasking? I want to throw my iPad every time I have a need to multitask. Simple things like taking notes while on videoconference. Isn't this the postpc era? I'd like to get some real work done on a tablet. Hope the guy replacing Scott Forstall gets multitasking into the next iOS or I'll be switching.

Just grab a pen and pad and take notes. Sheesh...have we really become this spoiled by technology?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Dont be THAT impressed. The Samsung Galasxy 3 gets a 2201 score. Not to mention having 2 GB RAM.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1217810

The Galaxy Note 2 has not been tested yet but I'm sure it will even beat that.

Of course, now I'll get a bunch of posts saying why the specs don't matter, even though everyone was gushing over them previously in this thread. :)

People weren't gushing over specs earlier... they were gushing over the benchmark.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I very much doubt we'll see 6 month update cycles for iPads.

It was just a bit of a tongue in cheek comment aim at all those who threatened tears if an iPad 4 was released so soon. Having said that, and mindful of Apple taking control of their own SoC, I suppose if this launch is a big success it's not unlikely that Apple can release updates faster than others can keep up with. It may be a one off or it may signal a new strategy.

Cook is only just beginning to stamp his mark on Apple. I think there will be some exciting things happening over the next few years.

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
Just grab a pen and pad and take notes. Sheesh...have we really become this spoiled by technology?

Why would I carry a paper/notebook everywhere when I have rich text and cloud sync? I'm on videoconference multiple times a day. You cant think of any real world scenario for yourself in which you need multitasking? I guess not.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Faster processor and memory get eaten up by the bloated OS and apps... Higher resolution screen probably isn't calibrated as well and you can't even see the pixels on the ipad retina as is.

This is the main reason I will not be getting an Android again. Even with amazing specs, it's still a bloated OS that barely functions properly when you need it to. It's flashy and all that but Google, like Microsoft, just don't know how to design an OS well enough to have it run with so little.

Why would I carry a paper/notebook everywhere when I have rich text and cloud sync? I'm on videoconference multiple times a day. You cant think of any real world scenario for yourself in which you need multitasking? I guess not.

Why don't you get a MacBook Air or equivalent?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
iPad4 = Shelby GT Mustang-iPadMini = Smartcar ;)

I'm glad I ordered the iPad4. Of course eventually the iPadMini will get to may. Bring on the iPad Mini refurbs so I can afford one of those too.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.