Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
This is the main reason I will not be getting an Android again. Even with amazing specs, it's still a bloated OS that barely functions properly when you need it to. It's flashy and all that but Google, like Microsoft, just don't know how to design an OS well enough to have it run with so little.

Why don't you get a MacBook Air or equivalent?

Same. I've had too many issues with Android tablets/phones crashing or lagging. Especially while web browsing. When I used my friend's 3rd gen iPad the browsing experience was much much better.

Still interested to see how Windows 8 tablets do. I have Windows 8 set up via Parallels and actually mostly like it a lot.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Sorry to be spec-obsessed and greedy, but I was really hoping for a hexacore graphics chip in this thing. Twice the iPhone 5. That would have really put them beyond the reach of the competition.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

Man, I'm too invested in Apple stuff to switch, but I am tempted big time. Integration of all my devices is number one for me..

However, I will take a serious look at the Nexus line going forward; but what I really want is for Apple to enable user accounts on iOS. They do that, and I'll be a happy camper.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Same. I've had too many issues with Android tablets/phones crashing or lagging. Especially while web browsing. When I used my friend's 3rd gen iPad the browsing experience was much much better.
Same experience here. I left Android for Apple and don't see myself going back anytime soon. On paper, Android has superior specs and most of the same apps. Yet the apps always seem to be a few versions behind their iOS counterparts; they are missing features and they don't perform as well; they are either less responsive or less stable, often times both, despite running on what is supposed to be superior hardware.

The grass always seems greener on the other side.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Is there any GPU test with that geekbench score? looks like all raw CPU power to me. I am more interested to see the overall score, including the GPU cores.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I love my ipad 3 but have been so close to pulling the trigger on this. It's been hard not to.

The one thing that keeps me from clicking the "complete order" button is the RAM!

Apple and their RAM issues. Like a bad penny or a leaky roof, they just never go away.

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best. Does anyone have a slide rule at Apple? They have increased everything, except, wait for it... RAM!

Why? They want it to be obsolete sooner, rather than later. This is why I will wait the 6 months, or so, and get the 1.5/2GB RAM / A15 version.

RAM is dirt cheap and should scale with CPU/GPU increases.

My largest ipad 3 complaint is the same I had with the original ipad, RAM.

Look at the cost of iPhone 5 RAM: $10.45/GB

Apple, please, charge me an extra $10.45, so I can have 2GB :rolleyes:
Hell, charge me $50.00, just give it to me! The ipad will never, and I mean never, compete with any laptop, so stop gimping it! Let it be FFS. Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/19/iphone-5-manufacturing-cost/

I think in fairness, anything more than 1gb might not mean much considering that you can only run 1 app at any one time. I think the stuttering issues we see are more to do the with processing the retina display than to memory. The A6 fixes that issue, more memory wouldnt.

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Why would I carry a paper/notebook everywhere when I have rich text and cloud sync? I'm on videoconference multiple times a day. You cant think of any real world scenario for yourself in which you need multitasking? I guess not.

If it's that important to you then get a macbook air or something equivalent.

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Man, Apple's benchmarks and doubling performance... so hard to resist it when you see those numbers. I want to get a Mini, but the old overclocker in me yearns for having the fastest tablet.

I hate you Apple :D

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
As an iPad 3 owner, I must say this is one of the worst things to have happened to me in a long time. I really do wonder if Apple hates me?

I think Tim Cook lies awake at night trying to figure out new ways to screw you specifically. :D

<I assumed your original post was satirical. If not, please get a life.>

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
The A5 wasn't exactly new when it came to the iPad. It just got a graphics update to handle the new resolution.

I hope fall updates become the new "cycle." It's better for consumers because all the iPads bought for the holidays won't become obsolete in three months.

Obsolete is such a hyperbolic word to use in these situations. Obsolete technically means no longer in production, no longer in use, or outmoded by new technology. While 2 of the 3 may apply, it's definitely still in use when it becomes "obsolete" by your standards.

Think about it... Does your TV become obsolete when they come out with a new model? Your car? You laptop? What makes an iPad so different that you immediately feel it is useless when a new, slightly faster model with a few new features is released?

Overall, though, I agree with your premise (sorry, I could have picked any number of posts to pick on the use of "obsolete" :D). Fall updates for iPads should be the correct cycle, like iPhones and iPods, because they should still be relatively new for the holidays since that is the time that the largest number of the devices are sold. Just like it makes sense to refresh laptops in the summer before the college kids buy theirs.

----------

For people who might not know, the 3rd placed device in chart(iPad 3rd gen) just released this year. :rolleyes:

The price of progress. Would you have preferred that they held back the A6 until spring so it was a full year before the iPad 3 was the 3rd fastest device in the list? That would be silly.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
All this power and no multitasking? I want to throw my iPad every time I have a need to multitask. Simple things like taking notes while on videoconference. Isn't this the postpc era? I'd like to get some real work done on a tablet. Hope the guy replacing Scott Forstall gets multitasking into the next iOS or I'll be switching.

Four-finger swipe up, tap on the note taking app, take note, four-finger swipe up, click on video conferencing app.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

How is this relevant to a discussion of the 4th gen iPad benchmarks? Do you have Nexus 10 benchmarks to share with us?

My response, along with several others, is simply "but does it run iOS? No? Then it's not worth the price." I sincerely hope that it can prove me wrong... But so far, every non-iOS tablet experience has been a bust. It's just a smartphone blown up in size, not optimized for the larger screen, using apps that are designed for use with a phone.

----------

Well I guess I'm back to being angry again. I wanted A6 in the first place, but A5X is what we got and I was glad to have a faster ipad than the iPad 1. I decided I wasn't going to worry about selling the 3 to get a 4, and I still won't because I don't want to take a bath in what I'd get for a 3, but this ticks me off. Shrug. Bleep Apple, glad I won't be buying any new HW from them for a while. Well, other than another lightning cable or two, if they can ever find a way to make enough to start selling separates. I'd be more than happy to buy a 3rd party black cable, as long as it just charges properly.

Why are you angry? The A6 likely wasn't ready when the iPad 3 came out. That seems like a silly thing to be angry about. Are you angry when the MacBook Pro you bought gets a slight processor bump 6 months after you got it?

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Four-finger swipe up, tap on the note taking app, take note, four-finger swipe up, click on video conferencing app.

I agree, if you use the 4 finger gestures, it's workable. I wish they would steal a little from WebOS and when you do the 4 fingers up, have it show app cards instead of the small row of app icons. Would just like to have a larger target area for the "task manager" if you will.

It's also easy to get in a rhythm with the left/right 4 finger swipes.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I love my ipad 3 but have been so close to pulling the trigger on this. It's been hard not to.

The one thing that keeps me from clicking the "complete order" button is the RAM!

Apple and their RAM issues. Like a bad penny or a leaky roof, they just never go away.

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best. Does anyone have a slide rule at Apple? They have increased everything, except, wait for it... RAM!

Why? They want it to be obsolete sooner, rather than later. This is why I will wait the 6 months, or so, and get the 1.5/2GB RAM / A15 version.

RAM is dirt cheap and should scale with CPU/GPU increases.

My largest ipad 3 complaint is the same I had with the original ipad, RAM.

Look at the cost of iPhone 5 RAM: $10.45/GB

Apple, please, charge me an extra $10.45, so I can have 2GB :rolleyes:
Hell, charge me $50.00, just give it to me! The ipad will never, and I mean never, compete with any laptop, so stop gimping it! Let it be FFS. Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/19/iphone-5-manufacturing-cost/

I have no idea how a bigger RAM would fit into the power budget, so I will refrain from either agreeing or disagreeing. If it were to significantly impact battery drain, of course, this would make a larger RAM unattractive to some people.

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
Sorry to be spec-obsessed and greedy, but I was really hoping for a hexacore graphics chip in this thing. Twice the iPhone 5. That would have really put them beyond the reach of the competition.
Remember that more cores =/= power.

The A6X can match or even exceed quad core power, but it's just a dual core chip.

The iPad 4 doesn't need hexa core graphics.

Just seen the Exynos dual article, it's very fast... But at 1.7 GHz, it's massively overclocked. Maybe it's okay on chromebook but on a mobile device they have to tweak it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.