Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I will get my MacBook Pro Retina Display in a day. I will install VMWare Fusion 5.0. I will use Windows via Bootcamp and depending on the speed, also via Fusion. Which version (Windows 7 or 8 64-bit) do you recommend? Is the current hardware and bootcamp drivers fully compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 64-bit? Thanks.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hello, I will get my MacBook Pro Retina Display in a day. I will install VMWare Fusion 5.0. I will use Windows via Bootcamp and depending on the speed, also via Fusion. Which version (Windows 7 or 8 64-bit) do you recommend? Is the current hardware and bootcamp drivers fully compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 64-bit? Thanks.

The Boot Camp drivers are not supported under Windows 8 as of yet. It's anyones guess when they will be.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

I personally prefer Windows 7, and it will work fine in Fusion or Boot Camp.

Windows 8 is clearly optimized for for touch devices and tablets. I find it frustrating and gets in the way of productivity on machines without touch.

Not to mention it has ads in the default Metro apps, which is not cool for an OS that is designed for Enterprise.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
So, Windows 7 64-bit works fine with Retina Display? Do the letters look clear or fuzzy?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
So, Windows 7 64-bit works fine with Retina Display? Do the letters look clear or fuzzy?

I don't have a retina model myself, but it should scale and show the fonts in a larger size. It should be very clear.

OS X treats the retina as a lower resolution, and will display everything in an equivalent size of their non-retina counterparts. Windows will see it as full resolution, however you can turn on DPI scaling to make the fonts larger.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

In installed W7 on my rMBP. It looks very nice! I do need to increase the font size to 200% for better reading though.

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012

With 150% scaling it looks very good and clear at full resolution. Unsupported software with custom UI will look a little bit blur but still way better than non-retina apps on OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.