Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
I consider myself somewhat IT literate but this has me stumped. I want to change the default font in Mac Mail (6.2) to something larger. In preferences I can easily change the font but there is no "save" button. So, when I then click to create a new mail message the font defaults back to Helvetica 12. Can someone please help, thanks. I've attached a screenshot if that helps.

Attachments

• mail screenshot.png
    mail screenshot.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 290

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
You're in the right spot to change it. I just tested this myself and it changes as soon as I choose the new font or size. There is no need to save (or option to do so) and it stays put until I change it back. Something wacky with your machine perhaps? Let us know if you figure it out.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.
If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

bkoch

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Having the same problem.

I did CREATE NEW USER and experienced the same problem with the new user.

When you mention "base files" - what files, in what directory, and what problem is being referred to?

Notes: Originally I was trying to modify the signature I would send out via Mail. I would modify the Font Style, Size, and Color and from what I saw on my screen via Mail 6.2 - everything looked fine. I sent myself an email - hopped over to Google Apps to see how Google saw it - Let me tell you Mail 6.2 and Google do not see eye-to-eye. What I saw from on my screen via Mail 6.2 was not what I Google mail saw

I went into ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Signature and looked at the signature file to see what was being sent. Initially, from a font perspective, there are a lot of assumptions with respect so style, size, and color. Then, in the middle of the signature - where font format changed and became "defined" everything changed as to how Google mail saw it (and the rest of my business clients).

Someone out there has to have figured this out. The few of us that are still baffled would like just a few hints on how to resolve this interesting problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.