Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
What are the things that I should check before giving him my money? Its the 2011 model

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What are the things that I should check before giving him my money? Its the 2011 model

I've been in this "business" for a long time, and I need a FEW DAYS to know whether a laptop is all that it is, and you want to know this in a few minutes? Well OK if u kinda know the guy and he's giving u a killer deal.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
You could look up the serial number to find out if it is still under warranty. I would make sure to get a receipt if the person still has it. If so, then you can buy AppleCare if eligible and if you want it. Other than that, make sure the system runs, little to no cosmetic damage. If you buy in person there isn't really much you can do besides trust the other person isn't ripping you off. If you buy it from eBay you have some sort of assurance from eBay's seller protection policy.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
beware that this machine is not stolen, because if it is and it has remote locking feature enabled, you will end up with a "brick" once that machine connects online.;)

apple will not unlock or service this machine since it is identified as stolen.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
agree with above comments, just make sure you pay with paypal. If you never get it, or it is radically misdescribed, paypal will refun your money, including shipping, no matter where you bought, not just ebay etc.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I buy/sell macs on craigslist all the time. I make sure I meet where there is an internet connection so I can look up the serial number for its warranty status. As long as it is in warranty, I check for physical damage and make sure everything works: screen, wifi, bluetooth, usb ports, trackpad, keyboard. I also use System Information to make sure I am buying what I think I am buying.

If everything checks out, I buy it. My experience has been that as long as it is under warranty and not physically damaged, Apple will fix things that go wrong. I do not know of any way to check if a machine is stolen. So far, I have not hand any problems in that regard.

Of course, I ask if it comes with the box, receipt, both plugs for the power cord, but I may still buy it if the answer is no to any of those.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Don't buy it, this little beautiful computer is too personal and fragile to buy a used one. Buy a refurbished one from apple and get a longer warranty if you will use it for more than one year.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Never bought a used Mac, simply 'cause of the unknown treating of the machine. Who knows how much this Mac has been handling, water spilled and such.. I wouldn't personally buy used. I've sold macs during the past though..

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Never bought a used Mac, simply 'cause of the unknown treating of the machine. Who knows how much this Mac has been handling, water spilled and such.. I wouldn't personally buy used. I've sold macs during the past though..

yeah, or how many times they probably bring it with them into the bathroom while sitting on the toilet, and they probably sat there for 30 to 45 minutes with it on their lap. this is also true about cell phones, that why i never buy a used cell phones or borrow someone else's cell phone and put it on my face.:eek: yuk!

here, have a look at this thread and see for yourself.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1470956/

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
How much?

Maybe I missed this but may I ask how much for the MBA 2011 11"?

I would just go refurbished from Apple. They still sell 2010, 2011 MBA

Plus you get a 1 year warranty

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Maybe I missed this but may I ask how much for the MBA 2011 11"?

I would just go refurbished from Apple. They still sell 2010, 2011 MBA

Plus you get a 1 year warranty

agreed. can't beat apple refurb -- just like a new one with the same warranty and a nice discount.

my 2010 11" mba 4/128 i love. but i did have the trackpad stop clicking 1 year ago and it's starting to happen again (this time i'm out of warranty but from the invoice the last time, it should be a <$50 repair).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.