Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few weeks, we've been covering a few of the recent unofficial Lightning accessories that have been surfacing into the void left by Apple's decision to wait until early November to begin bringing most of its official accessory partners up to speed on the new connector for the iPhone 5, iPad, and iPad mini.

iPhone5mod seems to be one of the fastest-moving companies releasing Lightning accessories without Apple's authorization, having released several cables and working on docks and adapters using the new standard. The company today announced two new Lightning docks for the iPhone 5 that will begin shipping within the next few weeks.

The first is an upgraded Classic Dock that is similar to the one announced last week but which adds a second mounting slot to allow users to prop up their devices in either portrait or landscape mode without being mounted on the charging connector.

iphone5mod_classic_dock_2.jpg
The second is a new iPhone 5 Dock PRO that will be available in both Lightning and micro-USB versions, allowing users to choose which type of cable they wish to run from their computer or power adapter to the dock. The dock also includes a removable slot cover to offer two different sizes of docking slots to accommodate both naked and cased iPhones.

iphone5mod_dock_pro.jpg
iPhone5mod has also already announced improved versions of its standard and lighted Lightning to USB cables, increasing durability and compatibility.

The company also tells us that it is working on several other new docks, including a standalone one for the iPad mini and a universal one for the iPhone and iPad mini, as well as Lightning card readers for the iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Certainly some users have concerns over purchasing unauthorized accessories, and iPhone5mod's rapid iteration on the already-released cables to improve durability may be a bit disconcerting, but it seems clear that Apple's decision to keep official accessory manufacturers in the dark until well after the launch of Lightning-based products has left a significant market opportunity for companies looking to meet demand from users.

Article Link: Unauthorized Lightning Accessories Continue Rolling Out with New Docks

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Those docks really ought to add a 3.5mm plug for additional stability. I don't imagine that tiny Lightning connector is anywhere near as stable as the 30-pin.

MOKHAN

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I'm perfectly okay with this. To be honest, I never purchased OEM 30pin sync cables from Apple anyways, I would get the inexpensive third party look-alikes from eBay.

mooeymoose

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
Perfect. This this the kind of stuff the market needs to hell keep apple in check. While I like a lot of apple products what they charge for accessories is too much.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Those docks really ought to add a 3.5mm plug for additional stability. I don't imagine that tiny Lightning connector is anywhere near as stable as the 30-pin.

yeah, but apple could slightly change the location in the next phone and throw everyone off.

I think it is telling that apple didn't integrate the 3.5" jack into their own adapter to give analogue support; they anticipate changing the location of the 3.5" jack eventually and the ipod touch/nano won't have the exact same location either.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The decision to withhold Lightning wasn't a Forstall decision, was it? Why wasn't the exec responsible for this made to walk the plank with the rest?

This is a much bigger mistake than Maps, in my opinion.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm glad these have come out so quickly. As long as I've looked at a product's review history, I've never had any problem with any of the cheap knock-off versions of Apple connectors before - so I don't expect problems with these either.

This way I can have spare cables at various locations - e.g. car, office, in various bags - without having to take out a third mortgage (the second mortgage was needed for the original hardware purchase :D).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Why don't Apple provide a standard dock like they always have.

Apple claims people prefer speaker docks and making standard docks is not worthwhile for them, or something like that.

The real question is: why hasn't apple released a detailed spec allowing legit 3rd party docks (both of the speaker variety and standard chargers) to come to market the day the iphone5 was announced?

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Good, but I wouldn't buy them right away

I made a mistake a few months ago, buying a cheap car charger and 30-pin connector from Amazon. Worked great at first, but after a little use, it wouldn't charge anymore. I noticed that the 30-pin connector seemed to have gotten loose, so I changed that for an Apple one. It didn't work either! The problem was that the part that fits into the lighter wasn't making contact anymore. I still use the 30-pin in the car -- stopping Thursday, when my iPhone 5 arrives -- but I've got a good, expensive charger doing the work.

----------

Apple claims people prefer speaker docks and making standard docks is not worthwhile for them, or something like that.

The real question is: why hasn't apple released a detailed spec allowing legit 3rd party docks (both of the speaker variety and standard chargers) to come to market the day the iphone5 was announced?

Secrecy. Another group of people who would have to get a prototype, which could leak from another set of places.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The decision to withhold Lightning wasn't a Forstall decision, was it? Why wasn't the exec responsible for this made to walk the plank with the rest?

I am sorry but what you are suggesting is not very realistic. You are suggesting Apple should've pre-announced the connector (and not the devices using new connector).

First of all, that is rather unprecedented. Apple is in the business of selling products to end users, not to OEM like Intel. Furthermore, unlike Thunderbolt and FireWire, Lightning is not meant to be adopted by non-Apple products.

Secondly, announcing a new connector would officially confirm that all the existing devices with 30-pin connector (both Apple and 3rd party) are about to become obsolete (or at least deprecated). I suspect this is one of the few reasons why Apple decided to update 9.7-inch iPad now. That would in turn trigger massive decline in sale (and inventory to pile up). Meanwhile, months go by until Apple can finally unveil and ship new products.

Having said that, Apple could've done a lot better. 30-pin to Lightning adapter should've been bundled with iPhone and 5th generation iPod touch. The adapter should've been available on the launch date. The adapter could've been better designed.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

In addition to secrecy, Apple is pushing AirPlay vs. wired approach.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Perfect. This this the kind of stuff the market needs to hell keep apple in check. While I like a lot of apple products what they charge for accessories is too much.

at least, they should make accessories more affordable, since they are pretty rubbish (yeah yeah fun-boys, it's true :eek:)

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I want a dock so bad but I'm not willing to risk my phone in one of these things. I'll wait for the authorised accessories.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Secrecy. Another group of people who would have to get a prototype, which could leak from another set of places.

I'm not saying release the connector early, or let others in on it earlier. I'm saying make the spec available *at the same time* as the device release. No leaks, but we would have legit docks by now.

In addition to secrecy, Apple is pushing AirPlay vs. wired approach.
I can buy that, and airplay is great and all. However, I also like charging my phone, and I like charging it in the upright position.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

What makes you think they haven't released the detailed specs? Just internet rumors.

Unless you're in the MFi program, you DON'T KNOW what specs have been released. And if you ARE in the program, you signed a non-disclosure agreement so you can't tell us.

We don't have any way to know how much of the delay is because Apple is slow, how much is because of schedules at other companies, and how much is due to component shortages.

In the keynote presentation, Phil Schiller said they were already working with a number of other companies "to integrate lightning connectors into products you may choose to buy, for example this holiday season".

----------

Unfortunately you've got another 3-5 months wait at minimum then given that Apple aren't talking to 3rd parties until November.

That doesn't agree with Apple's statement during the iPhone 5 keynote presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.