Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I have just installed Windows 8 on my Mac Book Pro via Boot Camp.
But I haven't installed boot camp drivers since I heard many stories about how it makes windows 8 crash.

My question is "Does anyone know when the drivers will be released ?"
And
Shall I wait for windows 8 drivers OR
Shall install windows 7 drivers right away ?
I am thinking to wait , cause everything looks pretty fine for now and I don't want to reinstall windows 8 when it crashes.

What do you guys think ?

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Installibg the drivers was a mistake. It keeps crashing all the time, so I'm doing a system restore now to delete the drivers. I would just wait for official support, whenever that might be...

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
I installed the W7 drivers and all worked well. The only issue I had was the camera app saying the camera version wasn't supported. A few driver updates later and its all fixed.

No issues yet but I haven't used it extensively.

:)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I have never had a good experience with boot camp drivers soon after a new version of windows was released. It almost seems like apple makes really crap drivers so to make you think windows sucks lol...

From my experience i usually give it a couple of months before trying to install a new windows OS. And that is to let the bootcamp drivers mature

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
My issue is that the drivers install fine, but the BootCamp assistant wont open I get an error about not being allowed to change boot partitions, and then it closes.

Not that it really matters, I cant STAND Win8 I'll just stick with Win7

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I have just installed Windows 8 on my Mac Book Pro via Boot Camp.
But I haven't installed boot camp drivers since I heard many stories about how it makes windows 8 crash.

My question is "Does anyone know when the drivers will be released ?"
And
Shall I wait for windows 8 drivers OR
Shall install windows 7 drivers right away ?
I am thinking to wait , cause everything looks pretty fine for now and I don't want to reinstall windows 8 when it crashes.

What do you guys think ?

hey i was wondering if you used the microsoft dvd-usb tool to burn the iso image into the usb? thanks

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
The real question is why one anyone would choose to ruin a perfectly good Win7 Bootcamp with the disaster that is Win8.

solongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
hey i was wondering if you used the microsoft dvd-usb tool to burn the iso image into the usb? thanks

Actually i had Windows 8 iso image burned on DVD.
I also had Boot Camp W7 drivers burned on DVD.

Installation of Windows 8 went well.
I ended up installing windows 7 drivers since wifi and some other stuffs were not working properly. And of course , W8 crashes and freezes sometimes. But had to bear it to finish developing my windows store app.

The biggest problem is that "I am not being able to access Boot Camp control panel".
It says "You don't have a privilege" even when i am running it as an admin.
Tried reinstalling several times. But didn't work.

Since , i couldn't access BC control panel , i am using an external mouse.
Though , things are not being disastrous , hoping Apple would release W8 drivers soon.

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
I honestly cannot believe you would want to switch Windows 7 to Windows 8 (implying that is what you had previously).

I find 7 much more reliable than 8. Probably since 7 ate 9.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Weren't the new Macs announced before win8's general availability? It'd be an Apple move to say that only laptops announced after windows 8 was released will support it...

So buy a new mac.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
The real question is why one anyone would choose to ruin a perfectly good Win7 Bootcamp with the disaster that is Win8.

Yeah, not like Apple makes a touchscreen laptop or convertible which is what Win8 excels at. By giving you the desktop mode which makes it seem bipolar they've allowed you to use and install the software you already have. Shame on them for not making you not buy new.

I'm OS agostic, I've been using Win8 RTM since August when it was given to us by MS. It's not bad, but it's a paradigm shift for computing that turns the notion that 8 is just 7 in a new version like MS always has and OSX still does.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Yeah, not like Apple makes a touchscreen laptop or convertible which is what Win8 excels at.

Fingerprints, smudges, and a little bit of cream cheese from my morning bagels all over my laptop screen... just what I need!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I honestly cannot believe you would want to switch Windows 7 to Windows 8 (implying that is what you had previously).

I find 7 much more reliable than 8. Probably since 7 ate 9.

Been using 8 for a while. No stability issues, so not sure how it could be "more" reliable when they are both reliable.

Weren't the new Macs announced before win8's general availability? It'd be an Apple move to say that only laptops announced after windows 8 was released will support it...

So buy a new mac.

Just bought a new mac. So where are my drivers?

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Windows 8 is not a disaster. I have been running the Win 8 Beta for 2 months and installed WIn 8 Pro the day it came out. I love it. It is a solid as Win 7 was with many cool features. Infact, my Sony VIAO with WIn 8 it getting more time than my 1 week old 15" MBP.

solongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Windows 8 is not a disaster. I have been running the Win 8 Beta for 2 months and installed WIn 8 Pro the day it came out. I love it. It is a solid as Win 7 was with many cool features. Infact, my Sony VIAO with WIn 8 it getting more time than my 1 week old 15" MBP.

Agreed. Win8 is not a disaster at all !!!
Though it is a bit hard to find a way for the first time , actually w8 is bag full of cool features.
And i think , once you get used to the OS a little bit , you will actually start loving it. Also i feel like , navigating around is much easier and simpler in windows 8 than win7. But , maybe it is just me :p

----------

hey do you have any idea why my brightness/sound keys on my keyboard dont work when im using windows 7?thanks

Have you tried re-installing W7 drivers?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
If you have a working Windows 7 install already, I'd either hold off on installing Windows 8 until the driver situation is sorted out (all new versions of Windows have driver issues for the first 3-4 months, and those issues go far beyond Bootcamp), or just install it as a VM in a program such as Parallels. There have been a lot of changes to Windows 8 (not just the UI overhaul), and some of the kinks will take time to iron out.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Fingerprints, smudges, and a little bit of cream cheese from my morning bagels all over my laptop screen... just what I need!

Better get rid of those iPhones and iPods in your sig line pretty quickly then if that's an issue.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
To re-address the original question...

Typically, how long does it take Apple to update boot camp drivers after a new Windows release?

My corded mouse from 1993 is currently on loan from the Smithsonian and they want it back.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I clean my hands before I use iPhone and iPad, and also I don't eat while using my gadgets.
I drag mine in the dirt, bounce 'em off the pavement and slobber swill and beer all over them regularly.

Not a slave to my crap. It's the other way around. :)

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Better get rid of those iPhones and iPods in your sig line pretty quickly then if that's an issue.

Funny that (and note the lack of the iPod Touches)!

Yeah, my iPhone screen is usually a mess, but its got a screen cover and is easy to wipe off on my jeans or sweatshirt/fleece vest with quick swipe; MBP or MBA - not so much...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.