Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I said this would happen last week when they didn't mention it at the keynote. I miss the days when Steve would stand up and announce something and you knew it would be "available now". It's not just the software - they stand up and announce new iMacs then give no clue as to when they will be in the shops. "Sometime in November" is just crap. Finish the effing product, test it, etc, etc and then get up and announce the thing ready to buy "today".

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
MacBookPro13";16181547 said:
I don't care what anyone says, things just don't seem to be heading in the right direction with Apple since Cook has taken over.

No point in fretting about. What's done is done and what will happ, will happen. Enjoy the ride or jump ship.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Shame! Was really looking forward to trying it out.
Buuuuuuut, I don't use iTunes anymore.

If iTunes got more like Spotify, I'd switch back in a click. Can't stand how Spotify looks.

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I realize that the "correct" way to feel about this is: "I just want it to be ready so I'm happy to have it delayed until then."

BUT...

iTunes has been ***** forever and is in SERIOUS need of a big update like, yesterday. Another month? Not a long time in the grand scheme, but **** Apple for making us wait and then...making us wait.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Yes!!

As a software developer I can tell you that it is very frustrating to set a ship date before a requirements planning session and schedule estimation (vacation of employees) session is completed.
Go through all that, add 15% contingency, and then pick a release date.

Honestly, why does the "business" feel they can just pick a ship date before going through all that planning?

Try to build a bridge based on a ship date before going through that planning...

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to the personnel changes announced yesterday. I wonder where in Apple's org chart the iTunes development team falls.

applecomputer76

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Looking forward to it!

With Apple closed down the whole week of Thanksgiving, could this mean Friday the 23rd at the latest?

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Because it's the first major rehaul of the software since 2006 I believe. And i'm tremendously looking forward to it's built in iCloud features and streaming.

It's just a nonentity to me. My iTunes is in the cloud at this point. I back up my iPhone and iPad to iTunes. And sometimes I grab a movie or TV show from my iTunes library for my AppleTV.

But, as a piece of software, it's not really something I use on a regular basis. The streaming service might be interesting, but I don't think the streaming services are going to happen until next year...?

Obviously others place more importance on it.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
As a software developer I can tell you that it is very frustrating to set a ship date before a requirements planning session and schedule estimation (vacation of employees) session is completed.
Go through all that, add 15% contingency, and then pick a release date.

Honestly, why does the "business" feel they can just pick a ship date before going through all that planning?

Try to build a bridge based on a ship date before going through that planning...

I hear you. I'm in a similar situation...we have to have a product launched by mid-December, even though we don't yet have all necessary assets from the design team to complete the product. Their deadlines were moved, but the developers deadlines stayed the same. Bottom line...this kind of thing happens too frequently.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
20080428-ahmed-fayeds-brother-weeps-for-his-death.jpeg

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Again? I guess they mostly just reskin iTunes every time based on the mood of the iTunes team's UI guys, but I suppose an overhaul is due given how much stuff has been dumped into iTunes over the years.

I guess we have to hope the overhaul is good. Didn't the same thing happen with Apple TV's UI recently? I think we are seeing one side of Apple that was under Jobs' protection being systematically swept away now that a year has passed.

I think people are excited because this one actually looks good.

The play queue is a huge thing for me. I can't wait for it.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I hear you. I'm in a similar situation...we have to have a product launched by mid-December, even though we don't yet have all necessary assets from the design team to complete the product. Their deadlines were moved, but the developers deadlines stayed the same. Bottom line...this kind of thing happens too frequently.

Apple should have learned this the hard way with iTunes Match and labeled iTunes 11 as 'Coming Soon' instead of giving them a date to meet. Keep the dates internally.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm really looking forward to this release I'm happy to wait.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is not a big deal.

Why have people been asking in every thread about iTunes 11's release date? Has it become to the new iMac? Makes no sense (to me).

Agreed.

And as much as I am hoping iTunes 11 would be great, I have very low expectations when it comes to iTunes. I frankly don't expect to be using it much unless it gains Spotify-like audio streaming feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.