Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Interesting, but for the younger generations I guess. Lost interest after Episode I to be honest, saw the others but not even in cinema. Couldn't even say what the last one was like or if I actually saw it.

On the other hand, I'd personally be highly interested in an unedited collection of IV-VI.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Oh joy, more Jar-Jar Binks. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I wonder how Disney will treat the extended universe?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Steve Jobs paid total of $50 million to buy and operate Pixar from George Lucas. About 20 years later, Disney paid $7.4 billion to acquire Pixar, nearly double the sum it paid to acquire Lucasfilm ($4.05 billion).

Meanwhile, Jobs estates own about 7% of Disney (worth about $90 billion).

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Interesting, but for the younger generations I guess. Lost interest after Episode I to be honest, saw the others but not even in cinema. Couldn't even say what the last one was like or if I actually saw it.

On the other hand, I'd personally be highly interested in an unedited collection of IV-VI.

would be nice, but any reproduction would come from a VHS as the original masters are no more.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
would be nice, but any reproduction would come from a VHS as the original masters are no more.

Are you sure? What a mess! There was a LaserDisc version once I think. Anyway, I'd buy it if came frome VHS, too. Until then, I'll stay with Harmy's despecialized version....;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Seemingly it's legit news.

On the one hand, I'm pleased that George Lucas will no longer have any creative input to the films, on the other I'm not sure disney will do any better.

I guess we'll see.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
We might see the same amount of spin-offs/remake as with Star Trek ... Next generation, voyager, Enterprise ... But fine for me ... Just put it on iTunes for a reasonable price

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I was milliseconds from calling "April fools!" in October.

I'm torn... I waited for the prequel trilogy for 16 years, and as I sat there in 1999 watching an anticlimax of epic proportions violate my senses as gungans hurled blue balls at vacuum cleaners with legs, I thought to myself... "What the hell is this Disney ************?!?"

Now I'm like "Yay! The sequel trilogy I always wanted!"... followed by "Hold on... the prequel trilogy sucked and now it's LITERALLY turning into Disney BS... so why am I excited?"

Oh well, who knows. Maybe they'll do much better than Lucas did, and restore the franchise to its former glory.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Oh joy, more Jar-Jar Binks.

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. This seems like great news to me, the Star Wars universe is really interesting and full of potential...and now other people can make movies and other content without GL's bad taste messing it up.

Don't get me wrong, GL was brilliant when he was young. He just had a major change in his sensibilities in the couple decades he took off from filmmaking. I suspect they could have made a much better Indy 4 (and probably no aliens) without having to pander to what he wanted.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France

I'm sorry, but as a member of originaltrilogy.com, this is complete horsesh** falsely propogated by Lucas himself to somehow belittle the original films he has since disowned - despite the cultural milestones they represent.

The original effects negatives are indeed faded beyond belief due to an unstable filmstock used (one of the many reasons why the "restoration" was carried out in the mid 90s), but seperation masters and first generation IPs exist, not to mention - in "the worst case scenario" - privately owned copies of low fade 35mm prints of the original trilogy. All of the sources I mentioned are of MUCH greater quality than the DVNRd, non anamorphic laserdisc master Lucas tossed on as a bonus feature on the DVD rerelease.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks Mavimao. At least hope ain't completely lost, but looking at Disney cutting, editing, manipulating, re-dubbing movie history - Fantasia or The Black Cauldron comes to mind - little faith is gained. At some point it will happen I'd guess, for the sake of $$$$.

Besides, I think this is good news for everybody who could get along with I-III.
I remember driving to the cinema with a friend, talking about how often we'd going to watch this movie (Episode I) in the theatres, as we were too young for the 'originals'. Well, not so much.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have nothing against Disney, indeed i like a lot of what they do but industry consolidation often reduces choices even if it does improve things for investors.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Episode I sucked, Episode II was mediocre, and Episode III was great until the last 3 minutes.

I have high expectations. Disney isn't going to mess this up in the same way Episode I was messed up. They may screw it up, but we won't see any dumb Jar Jar Binks crap again.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Thanks Mavimao. At least hope ain't completely lost, but looking at Disney cutting, editing, manipulating, re-dubbing movie history - Fantasia or The Black Cauldron comes to mind - little faith is gained. At some point it will happen I'd guess, for the sake of $$$$.

Besides, I think this is good news for everybody who could get along with I-III.
I remember driving to the cinema with a friend, talking about how often we'd going to watch this movie (Episode I) in the theatres, as we were too young for the 'originals'. Well, not so much.

But remember, Disney also is responsible for things like Thor and The Avengers. So long as Star Wars is handled properly, I'm actually less worried about Disney controlling it than I am about Lucas controlling it.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I was milliseconds from calling "April fools!" in October.

I'm torn... I waited for the prequel trilogy for 16 years, and as I sat there in 1999 watching an anticlimax of epic proportions violate my senses as gungans hurled blue balls at vacuum cleaners with legs, I thought to myself... "What the hell is this Disney ************?!?"

Now I'm like "Yay! The sequel trilogy I always wanted!"... followed by "Hold on... the prequel trilogy sucked and now it's LITERALLY turning into Disney BS... so why am I excited?"

Oh well, who knows. Maybe they'll do much better than Lucas did, and restore the franchise to its former glory.

Agree, I thought it either a joke or a misinformed story, that changed as it was circulating the 'net, Chinese whisper style.

But just watched a YouTube video, with George Lucas stating this very news. Can't be anymore definitive than coming from the horse's mouth!

http://youtu.be/YyqlTi7lkhY

I'm still torn, after the huge violation that was the Star Wars Prequels, it seemed SW had suffered poor input from a long out of touch filmmaker: George Lucas. Forever indebted that he created this universe but really not happy when he made nothing else for many years, then jumped back into the director's chair, surrounded by 'yes' people (no one in their right mind contradicted Lucas during the prequels' productions; they couldn't and wouldn't!).

So perhaps under the helm new, fresher, and hopefully more talented filmmakers, this Sequel Trilogy can deliver the SW films so many wanted! Including me.

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
Finally more Star Wars I hope Disney treats it with more respect than Lucas did when he made he prequels. It's a cash cow for Disney and great movie experience waiting to happen if they do it right.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
This could be good or not. Only Disney knows. If there is going to be new movies I'd love it if they could create something with new characters.

Episode I sucked, Episode II was mediocre, and Episode III was great until the last 3 minutes.

I have high expectations. Disney isn't going to mess this up in the same way Episode I was messed up. They may screw it up, but we won't see any dumb Jar Jar Binks crap again.

The more I watched Episode I the more I liked it. Though there are parts that I still don't care for such as the midichlorian count explanation, or the stiff acting of the boy, or the annoying idea that fear in a child who is separated from his mother is a bad thing and therefore he can't be a jedi, and so much more. But overall it grew on me.

Now Episode II I didn't care for at all. No where in the story did I begin to care for any of the characters. They all could have died and I wouldn't have cared.

Episode III was much better than II.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Don't get me wrong, GL was brilliant when he was young. He just had a major change in his sensibilities in the couple decades he took off from filmmaking. I suspect they could have made a much better Indy 4 (and probably no aliens) without having to pander to what he wanted.
I sometimes wonder if the original Star Wars was a fluke and that his sensibilities were screwed up all along. The limitations of late 70's technology as well as budget constraints forced him to make a movie that was much less than he wanted... which may have been exactly the resistance he needed to make a great movie.

20 years later, when technology and budget gave him total freedom, he was able to transfer his vision verbatim from his mind to the screen, no holds barred... and his vision turned out to be awful.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
Lucas stated - many years ago - that he intended to produce 9 Star Wars episodes.

I cannot imagine a Disney take on this series...

Depp in Pirates of Tatooine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.