Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
If anything, this may be an indication of the new management paradigm. I'd rather screw timelines for quality. I'm a patient man.

Clearly they don't want another PR issue.

Zamiar

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
first sorry for my bad english

I think itunes 11 is same itunes 10 with many problems and low speed and other problems, all changes are just graphical
I think apple shocked when windows 8 released and know they are thinking to Competition with great windows 8 features(html5) that they never can create something like that.
why apple said this(itunes will arrive november) in last day? why they didn't say it in past days?

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
The later the better.

iTunes 11 seems to become what QuickTime X is for QuickTime, not just an overhaul, but a big setback in features. First thing I noticed was that the "Advanced"-menu was gone and a lot of other stuff too.

QuickTime X is an inferior piece of garbage in my eyes and I hope iTunes doesn't follow that path. Fortunately QuickTime 7 still works great under Mountain Lion. Maybe now that Scott Forstall is gone they want to add back some last minute features to iTunes 11 to not set us back 10 years like they did with QuickTime. Scott's one of the people that always wanted to cut back on a lot of stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was behind the original iTunes 11.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I bet Scott Forstall was hacking the Objective-C code himself trying to get iTunes 11 out by tomorrow! Was this the real straw that broke the camel's back for Forstall? Who is going to sign the apology letter for this if there is one?

P. S. I can't wait to see what Ive does with the UI for OS X and iOS! I hope something radically different! :cool:

:eek:

Otterblue

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Canada
Wow, they updated that within minutes of me posting that.

Still haven't updated the this one on the iTunes main page.

comingsoon_violator.png

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
They are re-designing the logo to be the Apple Corp logo!

Or will it have Siri control, or maybe integrated to Apple Earth?

Mmm, or maybe not being released to a schedule!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Tom Neumayr said:
The new iTunes is taking longer than expected and we wanted to take a little extra time to get it right.

Good. Release it when it's ready, not because of some stupid deadline from the marketing department.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's just a nonentity to me. My iTunes is in the cloud at this point. I back up my iPhone and iPad to iTunes. And sometimes I grab a movie or TV show from my iTunes library for my AppleTV.

But, as a piece of software, it's not really something I use on a regular basis. The streaming service might be interesting, but I don't think the streaming services are going to happen until next year...?

Obviously others place more importance on it.

No I'm not talking about the rumored streaming services. I'm talking about streaming your already purchased content right from iTunes. I'm hoping the app itself should act like Netflix.

But first of all, your purchased content will always appear on your library screen as if it was downloaded, even though you might not have. This is a huge plus for me right off the bat because you don't have to go back and forth between your library and the store just to see what you've purchased. Have you tried redownloading your purchased content from the iTunes store? It's highly inconvenient. Just see how many clicks/taps and how much loading it takes to do it. The way iTunes 11 is set up, with iCloud built in, you see everything right in front of you without having to go into the store. I personally love this new feature.

And my big hope (and i'm not 100% sure about this), is that you might be able stream the content right there from your library screen. So let's say you purchase a movie, but choose not to download it. With iTunes 11, it will always show on your library screen, because you've purchased it. And hopefully just by clicking "play", you can immediately stream it. Anyway, the other huge factor here is a huge savings in disk space for people like me who buy tons of HD movies and TV shows, as well as music. I have an external 2TB drive that is already 100% full and I had to stop downloading the latest episodes of The Walking Dead because I ran out. Now about 95% of movies and all TV shows are on iCloud so you no longer have to keep these stored locally on your drives. It means I can finally free up tons of disk space now and just stream my purchased content. It's just an incredibly more streamlined way of driving the iTunes store and iCloud efficiently to the user.

Last edited:

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I bet Scott Forstall was hacking the Objective-C code himself trying to get iTunes 11 out by tomorrow! Was this the real straw that broke the camel's back for Forstall? Who is going to sign the apology letter for this if there is one?

P. S. I can't wait to see what Ive does with the UI for OS X and iOS! I hope something radically different! :cool:

:eek:

Forstall is/was the vice president of iPhone Software. He has nothing to do with OS X.

jwsmiths

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2006
MacBookPro13";16181547 said:
I don't care what anyone says, things just don't seem to be heading in the right direction with Apple since Cook has taken over.

Apple (and most tech companies) are consistently late with releases. Trust me this is nothing new.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
Better safe than sorry. Would love to get a preview/beta though. Have there been beta versions available for major releases in the past?

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
"Ship it when it's ready" has to have a reasonable cutoff point. Otherwise...

Are you going to delay release by a few days because marketing dictates a term should now be capitalized in the ToS?
Will release be after completely emptying the known bug list, or allowing just a few low-class bugs ship?
Will it be delayed because of in-house drama?

The list would be never ending, otherwise.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just one more vote for getting it as right as possible first crack out of the box, instead of a buggy mess pushed out to meet a schedule.

It's just a month, folks.

Life does go on...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.