Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrweaver

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
I ordered one of the hard shell version in clear for a black ipad mini, and i also got a dark grey smart cover.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The biggest problem I have with the "Smart Cover" companion cases is that I am almost 100% certain they were not designed with the new iPad mini cover in mind. Apple has redesigned the Smart Cover for the mini, so that it no longer uses the metal connector (the strip on the left of the cover). It instead uses a modified strip that doesn't use any metal.

Someone please post in this thread to confirm/deny this once they get their mini and one of cases + covers. I will hold off on buying a case until this is resolved.

Txjole

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
The biggest problem I have with the "Smart Cover" companion cases is that I am almost 100% certain they were not designed with the new iPad mini cover in mind. Apple has redesigned the Smart Cover for the mini, so that it no longer uses the metal connector (the strip on the left of the cover). It instead uses a modified strip that doesn't use any metal.

Someone please post in this thread to confirm/deny this once they get their mini and one of cases + covers. I will hold off on buying a case until this is resolved.
I'm with you on this one. The case makers should have the product in hand before they sell.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm with you on this one. The case makers should have the product in hand before they sell.

Well... In this case the mockup of the iPad mini was around and ended up being exactly what was announced. There was no mention of the smart cover, but chances are they have seen the new one before release as well. It's not really a big deal, if the case does not work just return it.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
Purchased this but can't see it arriving anytime soon, looking for another with faster delivery.

https://ny-image0.etsy.com/000/0/6346141/il_fullxfull.343520696.jpg

That's pretty cute for traveling:)

----------

Outter box. My husband swears by them. If it were slimmer I'd have one.But definately Outter Box.

----------

I've been a fan of the STM Skinny for iPad ever since the iPad 2. I ordered mine the day the Mini was announced.

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/new-laptop-bags/skinny-ipadmini

That one looks a lot like the Incipio.

WorriedNewb

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I just bought this i-Blason which has the smart function. you can get it for $10 shipped if you buy direct from i-Blason on amazon but I selected the prime eligible one which was $15. I hated to pay the extra $5 but its nice having peace of mind if it needs returned and I know I will receive it oct.31st with the 2 day shipping. It looks nice and compact to me, what do you all think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BXXXL0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I ordered this one in the magenta as well. I am sure I have ZERO chance of getting it before we leave for vacation, but I have a pink Mickey Mouse E-reader zip case that I will just stick the ipad mini in for now to protect it.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Pretty sure the metal strip is still there just coated/covered,

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Pretty sure the metal strip is still there just coated/covered,

When the ipad3 came out a few mfrs - big ones like Targus- jumped the gun and came out with cases - they were wrong as they polarized the magnets and many on/off features did not work. I think they want one in their hand before doing this again....

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON

Have just received 2 Mini Smart covers. The magnet that holds it on to the iPad is metal but is laminated inside the layers of the cover material. The magnet ends are extended versus the hinge so there is a way for back covers that snap on to lock the hinge to the iPad as the Incipio cover does for the regular iPad smart cover (best accessory I ever bought for my 3 btw).

shopaholic94

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
How sturdy is it?

The case covers all 4 corners of the iPad Mini but just like it says in the product title, it's an "Ultra Slim" case. Although, it provides protection against scratches, minor drops and bumps, its a case that offers additional fuctions such as the stand feature in 2 different angles. It's made of Vegan (synthetic) leather so it's soft to the touch and on the front flap (the portion that closes over the screen), it has a hard material between the outside leather and the inside so it protects the screen well and the inside of the case is lined with soft suede feeling material so any part of the case that touches your Mini, won't scratch it. I'm decently careful and my day to day use won't involve too many chances for damage (fingers crossed) so this case works great for my needs - protection and usability.

Looks like they also make some other cases for the iPad Mini:

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Stati...=1351705763&sr=8-3&keywords=roocase+ipad+mini

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Slim-...1351705785&sr=8-19&keywords=roocase+ipad+mini

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Execu...1351705785&sr=8-17&keywords=roocase+ipad+mini

Based on the dimensions in the product details, these cases are thicker so should offer more protection. And looks like the case is 2 parts so you can use the inside part by itself when you don't need the stand feature. If you're looking for maximum protection and don't mind the added bulk, I would vote for the Executive Portfolio case.

I hope this helped you! =D

----------

Purchased this but can't see it arriving anytime soon, looking for another with faster delivery.

https://ny-image0.etsy.com/000/0/6346141/il_fullxfull.343520696.jpg

These are available now:

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Ultra...&sr=8-1&keywords=roocase+ipad+mini+ultra+slim

Last edited:

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I just ordered a Nedrelow Sleeve and they're moving fast over there. About 10 mins after ordering they sent me an email w/tracking # so...HUZZAH! My Mini won't have to go nekkid for too long :)

Never had one of their sleeves before but I love how simple and sleek it looks.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Hopefully I'm able to get the Photive order cancelled, don't really feel like waiting till next wednesday for a cheap case when I can get a better and slimmer one by Friday with Prime.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Do the Apple stores have the mini smart covers? Taking the day off tomorrow and might consider swinging by.

Hopefully Speck makes a HandyShell for the mini. I think that one is something I'd use a lot.

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Do it have the Kays Logo slapped all over the back? Or does it blend in with the case?

Mind uploading pictures?

Just got my Kayscase silicon case. Not bad for $10

20121031_163215.jpg

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Looking forward to the Speck pics. Mine will be here on the 3rd!

I took some pics, but my lighting is bad with the black case. I'll take some tomorrow with better lighting and post them. I can already tell you that I will be sending it back. It's a decent looking case, but I am not a fan of the back being exposed when in "stand mode". Also the new clasp they are using is sort of a pain.

The roocase is a much nicer case, but it's pretty basic. It's pretty much a faux leather version of the original iPad case, but with a slot for a stylus. It's actually well done and the pebbled soft leather look reminds me of the Kindle Keyboard case (but softer). I kind of like it, but i'll reserve final judgement for when I can put the iPad in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.