Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
First time poster, LOOOONG time reader. So, I plunked down for one of those 27" IPS panel monitors from Korea (this one, specifically). It arrived rather quickly, and it looks really nice. However, for some reason it does NOT work with my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I am running OS 10.8.2, using the Apple Thunderbolt to DVI adapter.

If I hook up a generic Dell monitor to the cable and adapter, it works. So, it's not the cable, adapter or laptop.
If I hook up the monitor to a Windozze machine, it works, so it's not entirely the screen.

What am I missing? I specifically chose this monitor because the reviews said it would work with a Mac, and if you Google around, they should!

Thanks in advance for the help!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's most likely a cable issue. Apple's standard thunderbolt cable won't work with a lot of displays. You generally need a mini displayport to whatever cable. When you order one, check the reviews. Some of them suck. Here is a good example of cable compatibility from one brand.

http://www.eizo.com/global/support/compatibility/thunderbolt_macmini_macbookair/index.html

Look at the matrix of works, doesn't work, or works with caveats as denoted by the various numerical references. There is always the chance it may not be the cable, but it's a likely problem, even given your prior testing. You really do need to search for information on the model rather than say "monitor from Korea". I'm assuming you mean one of the budget brands using A- or B grade panels, as those can be really cheap. You still need to go by model information.

gregaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I posted the link to the specific monitor I bought in the original post. I have tried two cables (both work on a PC) - with no luck. What next? The DVI adapter?

gregaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I thought I found the issue, but no ... it was just my bad linking. I actually have this Apple adapter, which states that it is for an external monitor connection. So, sounds like the right one? I read somewhere that I may need an active DVI adapter instead? Could that be it?

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Try force switch to discrete card and then plug it in. Had similar problem, didn't work at first, bought another cable etc.

Not sure what happened tho, because it's working fine now. But at first it didn't auto switch to discrete after connecting the monitor. Realised, that it was using the integrated card. Forced the switch with gfxCardStatus - screen became active and from that moment - it's working fine by itself/auto switching.

Sorry, just noticed that you have 13", so no discrete card. But will leave the comment for others.

Melons

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
You need a MiniDP > Dual link DVI to get that to work. Normal DVI cant handle those resolutions.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
So, like this one from Apple? Or are there better recommendations out there?

Yes. There is a cheaper version sold by Monoprice but I am not sure if that works.

The thread quoted above seems to show that only the Apple one works.

gregaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Problem solved. Based on this thread I didn't want to chance it with a cheaper dual link DVI adapter, so I went into the Apple store and walked out with a $99 Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Plugged it in this AM and everything works perfectly. This screen is nothing short of WOW!

Thank you for all the replies in this thread, and I hope this helps someone else looking for answers.

lakkadshaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
Problem solved. Based on this thread I didn't want to chance it with a cheaper dual link DVI adapter, so I went into the Apple store and walked out with a $99 Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Plugged it in this AM and everything works perfectly. This screen is nothing short of WOW!

Thank you for all the replies in this thread, and I hope this helps someone else looking for answers.

Hey i also bought a korean monitor,
and I have an early 2011 macbook pro, I was thinking weather this cable will work or not?

gregaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Hey i also bought a korean monitor,
and I have an early 2011 macbook pro, I was thinking weather this cable will work or not?

That's a good price, but personally I didn't feel like taking chances with the cables. I bought the Apple one, and it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.